Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

TV networking question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
TV networking question
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-04-11, 20:55

I have a Mac Pro wired into my network and then my TV is on the opposite side of the room by the router and TV. Should I wire my TV into my network or should I set up some sort of internet sharing thing with my Mac Pro? Is there anyway to make it so that I can use the 802.11n in the Mac Pro and the TV? If so is this a better option than just hardwiring it into the network? Finally, if there is a way to use the 802.11n will I lose the access to the other people's libraries on my network?
euain

2007-04-14, 05:07

Of course you can do either.. but if I were you, and since the TV is next to the router anyway, I'd just wire it in.

The wired connection will probably end up being as fast as 802.11n (I know it the wireless is theoretically faster, but I reckon 100Mbit wired, full-duplex is going to be as fast or faster in actual usage).

This'll be a much simpler setup and it'd just work - you'd never need to tweak things etc. My TV seems a bit reluctant to reconnect to my WiFi if I restart something (and it's connecting to an Apple AP Extreme-n so it surprises me a bit). You might find that when you sleep / wakeup your MacPro, the TV doesn't always reconnect.

Also, if we end up getting the ability to download, buy etc. direct from the TV (actually, we can already get trailers etc. from the net as it is, but once we can do useful stuff), you will be able to do this without starting the MacPro since your connection doesn't depend on it being up.

As for other's libraries - I am not sure.. sorry.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-04-14, 10:41

People are getting much slower speeds than what we're supposed to get. I forget what we're supposed to get, but the fastest I've heard of was ~90Mbit on 802.11n.

