User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Is there a way to go Full Screen in Safari?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is there a way to go Full Screen in Safari?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-11, 00:45

As in like IE can by hitting F11. When using my netbook it would be awesome to be able to do this. Though there are times I'd like to do it with my MB too. Are there other options out there that would allow me to go into a full screen mode?

Edit: This full screen should also cover the Mac Menu bar too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2009-11-11 at 00:58.
doublem9876

Send a message via AIM to doublem9876  
2009-11-11, 01:11

Download Glims. It adds a full-screen mode to Safari.
http://www.machangout.com/
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-11, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem9876 View Post
Download Glims. It adds a full-screen mode to Safari.
http://www.machangout.com/
Note, however, that Glims is an input manager hack and likely won't work on Snow Leopard without running Safari in 32-bit mode (and probably won't work at all in future OS updates).

That said, there's no official/supported way to run Safari in a full-screen mode.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-11, 01:24

Also, Chromium supports full-screen mode if that's an acceptable replacement. It's not entirely stable, but it works basically like Safari and renders like Safari since it uses WebKit.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-11, 01:32

I'll have to give it a shot. I'm open to another browser, but I actually like Safari. I played with Firefox again tonight, but I can't get full screen there either. The control bar (one with Red, Yellow and Green buttons) and the menu bar are all still there.

So this brings a question to mind: Why does Apple make it nearly impossible to remove the menu bar? Front Row is the only app that comes to my mind (not counting video playback via iTunes etc..) that allows the menu bar to be covered. Why not Safari? It just seems odd.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Dutch Pear

2009-11-11, 02:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
So this brings a question to mind: Why does Apple make it nearly impossible to remove the menu bar? Front Row is the only app that comes to my mind (not counting video playback via iTunes etc..) that allows the menu bar to be covered. Why not Safari? It just seems odd.
Considering that iPhoto, Pages and Aperture also have a fullscreen mode it is all pretty inconsistent. For those of us with 13 inch screens, full screen would be great.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-11-11, 08:02

Sounds like it's Apple Feature Request time.
Dutch Pear

2009-11-11, 08:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Sounds like it's Apple Feature Request time.
Done! I sent it as a bug report with a link to this thread
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-11, 08:15

After seeing you had submitted the request I figured I'd do one too but can't find where to do so on Apple's site. Care to link to it for me?

Dutch Pear

2009-11-11, 08:31

Quote:
After seeing you had submitted the request I figured I'd do one too but can't find where to do so on Apple's site. Care to link to it for me?
I just used the built-in safari bug reporter (second item in the Safari drop-down menu).
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-11-11, 08:36

Quote:
  • Like DP said, Safari's built-in bug reporter in Safari → Report Bugs to Apple…, though this is mostly intended for problems with displaying web pages, not feature requests.
  • http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html, which is probably the best place for this type of request.
  • http://bugreporter.apple.com/, which has the advantage of being a more direct channel with developers.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-11, 22:43

Thanks!

I wasn't able to get Chromium downloaded. Does it require me to compile it? I was having a hard time finding an installer or just plain app. Maybe I missed it. I'm not going to bother with it if it's that early in development still though. I'll just be patient and wait. It sure would be nice to have Full Screen though.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-11, 22:52

For Chromium nightly builds, go here:

http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/s...omium-rel-mac/

And download the zip from the latest directory at the bottom.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-11, 23:23

Thanks! Gonna try it out on Mork now.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-11, 23:37

Nanu nanu! Shazbot.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-11, 23:56

So this build isn't letting me go full screen on Mork. I'm gonna install it on my MB and see if it's only Mork who's effected. I'm on Mork now too, nothing seems to enable it.

Edit: Here on my MB full screen doesn't work this build either.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-12, 00:03

Hmm... I just downloaded the latest build and, yup, it seems that the full-screen functionality is busted/disabled. It was working in the build I was using earlier (build 30037); so, this has to be a recent regression bug.

You could try an older build (such as 30037) and take it for a spin.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-12, 00:37

It works!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-11-12, 00:54

Must you remind me of how hideous OS X is without subpixel rendering?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-12, 00:55

Quit seems to be broken in this build though. I'll see if I can find one that it isn't broken on.

Edit: Seems Cmd-W works for Cmd-Q.

noleli2

2009-11-22, 17:05

Late to this party (been off the forums for a few weeks), but I like Plainview, a full-screen WebKit browser.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-22, 23:10

Thanks, I'll test it out for my use!
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-11-22, 23:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2 View Post
Late to this party (been off the forums for a few weeks), but I like Plainview, a full-screen WebKit browser.
It's actually pretty sweet ! Thx !