AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

2018 iPhones

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2018 iPhones
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member

2018-09-21, 19:49

Got my Xs in the mail today and... it's a lemon. Touch screen is completely unresponsive. I can wake up the phone with the side button but I can't swipe up to start the setup.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2018-09-21, 20:49

Well that sucks. Nowhere nearby to exchange, have to RMA by mail I assume?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2018-09-21, 21:10

Took it to both the local T-Mobile store and Apple Store. The Apple Store wouldn’t even let me in the door. Just said they couldn’t help and I have to go to the carrier.

T-Mobile can’t even file a warranty claim because the device isn’t activated.

On hold now with the manager at the Apple Store who so far sounds more helpful.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2018-09-21, 21:58

The manager came through. Did whatever override was necessary and handed me a new device.

edit: Also, the manager said this wasn't the only Xs he'd seen with this problem today.

Just to rant a bit...

If I buy an Apple device, I expect the Apple Store to stand behind it. I do not care that I purchased it through T-Mobile. The Apple Store employee (who was apparently an assistant manager) wouldn't stop with his song and dance about how Apple couldn't service my phone because they'd already sold it to T-Mobile so the profit wasn't theirs? Or something. We argued for quite a while. He just wouldn't shut up about how Apple wasn't financially responsible. Please Apple, take this guy away from a customer-facing position. Kept saying that the carriers do their own repairs (not true for phones still covered under AppleCare) and how Apple can't know T-Mobile's arrangements.

1) Apple is the company that got AT&T to upend their voicemail infrastructure. I'm sure they can find a way to deal with repair chargebacks or whatever's needed.

2) Cut this bullshit that there's some impenetrable firewall between the two companies. We both know that's not true. There are all of four phone carriers Apple cares about in the US. You can figure out their policies.

3) Apple. Shipped. A. Defective. Device. Fix it and deal with billing later.

Man that guy was a prick. Don't go looking for service at the Boulder Apple Store.

Last edited by Ryan : 2018-09-22 at 02:02.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2018-09-29, 10:19

I'm seriously thinking about returning this Xs and keeping my 8.
  • It's just *slightly* too big. Barely larger than the 8 but it's just over the threshold where it becomes uncomfortable for me
  • Every time I look the mute switch has somehow been flipped off (ie unmuted), even in a case that protects that switch. Very annoying as I like my phone SILENT.
  • The lightning connector isn't very good, cables keep getting disconnected even while still firmly in the socket
  • Really not a fan of the lighter shade of brown in the current leather case lineup (this is a tiny nit, but hey)

Aesthetically I also find myself much more attached to the 8 than the Xs, which just feels bleh. The white face in its weathered brown leather case is beautiful. The Xs is... not.

Face ID is nice. I get frustrated by Touch ID whenever my fingers are a bit dirty and it doesn't work. I also really like the telephoto camera lens on the back—that was one of the main reasons I upgraded. I'm just not sure those two features are worth it when every day I just find myself kind of annoyed at the size of this thing? I usually keep my phone in my front-right pants pocket and I'm constantly afraid it's gonna slip out every time I sit down.

Dual SIM is a feature I *think* I might like for travel, if I can move my TMO number to eSIM and then pop in cheap data-only SIMs when abroad, but TMO also has free 2G data roaming and not-unreasonable pricing on per-GB LTE roaming. That offering has served me fine for years.

On the other hand, since I purchased the phone through TMO it's rolled into my phone bill and the total is still under what I'm allowed to expense each month, meaning my employer is effectively paying for my new phone, so the cost isn't that relevant.

I'm still within the free refund period for TMO and I may take that option. Plus, between the mute switch, lousy connector and fact I've already been through one defective Xs, I'm getting really concerned about the build quality on this model.

Last edited by Ryan : 2018-09-29 at 10:34.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2018-09-29, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
My 7 Plus has 256GB of storage and it has proven to be the game changer that will ensure that I keep and use the phone for at least 3, maybe 4 years. Using it over that sort of duration is my normal routine.

I have a 256GB iPhone X. I will be downgrading to a 64 GB iPhone Xs.

The 256 is excessive as far as I can tell. Honestly not sure what I could do to need more than 64 now that I have iCloud storage.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2018-09-30, 19:08

I have a 256 GB iPhone X and I'm bumping against the storage limit, strictly because of iCloud Photos. I like to keep originals on my phone, so that's over 200 GB of photos alone.

I wish there was a way to only keep the most recent photos in original size, but as far as I know, there is not.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-10-01, 05:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
The lightning connector isn't very good, cables keep getting disconnected even while still firmly in the socket
I have this problem with the 8, actually. I keep wondering if it's dirt…
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2018-10-01, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I have a 256 GB iPhone X and I'm bumping against the storage limit, strictly because of iCloud Photos. I like to keep originals on my phone, so that's over 200 GB of photos alone.

I wish there was a way to only keep the most recent photos in original size, but as far as I know, there is not.
I have 406GB of photos in iCloud and even with my 256 GB iPhone X I have optimized storage turned on.

It’s not issue for me downloading the full resolution photos when needed. It seems my phone keeps the past few months as the original photo anyway.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2018-10-01, 22:33

I'm now leaning towards keeping my phone. I have a few more days to decide.

I think I've realized that what I really don't like is the *case*. It's Apple's leather case. Seems that the iPhone Xs version of this case adds way more thickness than the 8's case. Also, the brown color is *awful* compared to the beautiful deep mahogany of last year's lineup. If I stick with the Xs I'll be ditching this case just as soon as third-party manufacturers catch up with the new model.

I've been switching between the two phones and Touch ID annoys me a little bit more every time. While I'm not completely sold on the gestures-only approach of the X, it's growing on me.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-10-03, 11:31

I'm still planning to upgrade Christmas time frame but not sold on which model. I am thinking the Xs but could consider the Xr in Red. For a case, the slimmest clear case that hide the camera bump is all I want.

I pay Apple for 2TB of iCloud for my family now so I'm thinking the 64GB will be enough. I use my Mac (or Hackintosh) to handle my photo library so I don't need all of it on my phone. I'm still struggling with getting large videos off the phone though. It takes forever!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2018-10-04, 21:57

Fuck it, keeping the Xs. Partly out of laziness, party resignation to the future of the iPhone.