AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

New 128GB "hardcore" iPad debuts

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New 128GB "hardcore" iPad debuts
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-01-29, 10:33

Just saw the news that Apple has introduced a new iPad aimed at enterprise.

Link:

http://www.informationweek.com/hardw...-799/240147211

I'm on my iPad, will say more when I land at a real keyboard.

Short version: has Apple finally realized there's a Pro crowd in OTHER products?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-01-29, 10:36

This article from yesterday makes the writer look like a chump!!

Why the imminent release of a 128GB iPad is unlikely

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2013-01-29, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
This article from yesterday makes the writer look like a chump!!

Why the imminent release of a 128GB iPad is unlikely

My favorite part of that article is that this...

Quote:
Another thing worth bearing in mind is that Apple has never bumped the storage of any iOS device outside of a refresh of the product.
... is flat out not true. Apple released both a 32 GB iPod touch (1st gen) and 16 GB iPhone (1st gen) mid-cycle. Good try, author. Better luck next time.

Now, back on topic: This is a great addition to the lineup, but I really hope that in the near future we see the iPad go from 16/32/64/128 to just 32/64/128, especially on the "full-size" model.

I'd also like to see a 128 GB option on the mini. To me, the mini is the perfect device for most stuff, but 64 GB isn't enough to make it my only computer. 128 GB almost certainly would be, though. If I had some mechanism to back up all our family photos in the cloud (Dropbox photo uploads come to mind) or a networked local device I'd be thrilled to go iOS-only, but only on a mini. The big one is just too damn big now that I'm used to the mini.

My family is probably not in the market for a laptop replacement for at least another 2 years, so hopefully this gets straightened out by then. I'd be quite happy paying $629 for a 128 GB mini, if it means not buying another Macbook. $799 for a full-size one seems like quite a stretch for me, though.

In fact, if they don't have a 128 GB mini by then, we would probably end up buying a cheap windows PC instead. I don't see another $1,000 laptop in the cards at my house. It just doesn't make sense in the context of our needs.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-01-29, 12:05

I want a 128GB iPhone.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2013-01-29, 12:06

Strange move at a strange time. Just seems somewhat random. I'm just looking forward to capacities finally increasing in the next major update.... 32/64/128 is long overdue.

Until then... seems like a weird update that won't really stimulate iPad 4 sales all that much.... I guess it may make the upcoming Surface Pro look like even worse of a deal than it already did.

Last edited by Brave Ulysses : 2013-01-29 at 12:43.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2013-01-29, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
I guess it may make the upcoming Surface Pro look like even worse than a deal than it already did.
Yes, Indeed.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2013-01-29, 15:59

Apple are just trying to raise their average selling price and margins with this one really aren't they?
Wrao
Yarp

2013-01-30, 02:15

Certainly a strange move, and when you think about it, the iPad has been kind of poorly managed compared to other devices. The iPad 3 had a shorter lifespan than expected, the iPad 4 is substantially faster but uses the exact same design, but is also in the unenviable lightning/dock connector cut off spot that rubs some people the wrong way. Now you have this 128gb model released ostensibly in the middle of the product cycle, but also amidst rumors of a somewhat imminent upgrade that will feature a completely new design.

If the iPad 5 comes out in the foreseeable future, a lot of people are going to be pissed and the bigger picture of Apple's iPad management will be just a lot clumsier than how they normally handle things, but, it will still sell prolifically because even in spite of that it is a very desirable product.

As for the 128gb iPad existing. It's about damn time, honestly. It's a little pricey I guess, but I don't really think it is 'for' the average user either, I think the people who will buy the most of these things will be people who have discretionary or institutional or work related budgets and for whom $799 isn't even considered an 'expense' really, and yes, with any luck 32 will become the baseline by the next revision and prices will come down relative to that, which will surely incense some people, but I doubt it makes a difference.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2013-01-30, 03:14

Cook seems to be pushing for faster upgrade cycles, that much seems to be true. The question is, are there enough people looking to upgrade their iPad's every 6 months? I doubt it. I find the 3rd Gen iPad more than fast enough, and will likely hold onto it till the battery dies.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2013-01-30, 07:01

Maybe prelude to more powerful iOS versions of traditionally OSX software? If, for example, you had a fully functioning office suite and/or creative suite, stuff that's capable of 90-99% of all that can be done on the traditional "computer" but with a touch interface and screen optimization for a small retina display, then what sort of storage overhead would you need? Could be that someone who really wants to replace their laptop will need 40+GB just for their grown-up applications.

Example: Maybe all this stuff is supposed to live in the cloud, but my corporate Outlook inbox alone is 3GB, and that's just email and attachments. My photo library lives on two external HDDs (one for backup) it's still under a terabyte, but my camera files are only getting bigger... I don't have a memory card less than 8GB anymore...

Last edited by Matsu : 2013-01-30 at 07:37.
AWR
Veteran Member

2013-01-30, 08:29

We gifted ourselves a 64GB iPad for Christmas and I am surprised at how much I love it. But really really. Fast, functional, portable, it does everything I really need or want (I leave picture uptake and organization to an iMac). Ah, it's a bit heavy at times, and the charging times, but I'm happy to deal.

And it's not to say that I need more space at the moment, or that Apple shouldn't improve specs, but something irks me that five weeks after their busiest season they give holiday buyers a collective sigh with this pretty significant uptick. It's all business, and I'm not about to take mine elsewhere, but I think these days Apple is less concerned with happy long-term customers than in systematically grabbing sales. It would be nice to be able to buy a new product and have it feel new for more than five weeks (or whatever it was)!
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2013-01-30, 12:10

I've never understood this sentiment, feeling a certain indignation when a manufacturer simply tries to improve its products as fast as possible.

I do agree with you the iPad is a great little computer, however

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2013-01-30, 12:35

You mean you don't understand why someone might feel cheated? It's like buying a great house at what seems like a good price, only to have your neighbour buy the better/bigger house next door for the same amount a day later. Doesn't bother me, I just wonder if Apple is going to maintain enough growth to require such a fast upgrade cycle. Kind of makes it feel like they are trying to keep up with... Samsung.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2013-01-30, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Apple are just trying to raise their average selling price and margins with this one really aren't they?
That's my guess. A 128 GB model was overdue and 16 GB is no longer adequate for many people. But of course if you just bump up the storage in the existing models, you're giving away more FOR FREE, and you'd also have people whining about how they spent an extra $100 just last month to get the same amount of storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Cook seems to be pushing for faster upgrade cycles, that much seems to be true. The question is, are there enough people looking to upgrade their iPad's every 6 months? I doubt it. I find the 3rd Gen iPad more than fast enough, and will likely hold onto it till the battery dies.
Maybe it's more like, Apple realizes that people are upgrading their iPads every 2 or 3 generations, so by making those generations quicker they get those people to upgrade more frequently as well.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-01-30, 14:35

I've been foolish enough to read a lot of comments on news stories about this ned iPad and I must say, I have never seen such a hate-fest over what is in essence just a spec bump. It seems like every Android and Windows fanboy out there has decided that a $ 929 iPad is simply Apple taking the concept of fleecing the iSheep to whole new level and that somehow they are also getting hurt in the process.

Of all the things to get enraged over this has to be the lamest thing ever.

Last edited by Mugge : 2013-01-30 at 15:03. Reason: typo
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2013-01-30, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
I've been foolish enough to read a lot of comments on news stories about this ned iPad and I must say, I have never seen such a hate-fest over what is in essence just a spec bump. It seems like every Android and Windows fanboy out there has decided that a $ 929 iPad is simply Apple taking the concept of fleecing the iSheep to whole new level and that somehow they are also getting urt in the process.

Of all the things to get enraged over this has to be the lamest thing ever.
Agreed. Unless you need it, you may as well just ignore its existence. It's not like it changed what was available the day before. It's pretty much just an extreme built to order option. In fact, I wish Apple provided a few more extreme options like that across product lines. Like someone else said, I would actually be tempted by a 128GB iPad Mini.... it would be somewhat of a photographer's dream device.... Apple may as well offer it, it's not like having the option hurts anything.
Wrao
Yarp

2013-01-30, 15:22

Yeah, that is another weird thing about this release. The hatred. I mean, I'm pretty used to Apple getting a lot of nerd-rage levied against it, but over on The Verge, for instance, within a couple of hours of them posting about the thing there was over 500 angry comments about it, and it was almost entirely raging about the price and how much of a 'rip off' it was or whatever.

It's kind of insane how off-the-hinges and irrational that sort of mentality is, whatever happened to just, I dunno, ignoring it? I mean, even Apple basically ignored it, it barely even registered on their site as a new thing, because it is such a minor detail. You suddenly have people viciously arguing that the iPad is a toy, that no 'serious professional' would ever use it, that 128gb isn't even a lot of storage to begin with etc. It's like... really? 2013 and people are still saying that crap?

But on top of that all, as BU points out, it is just an 'extreme' option for people who need it, nothing more, nothing less. Apple regularly gets criticised for not having 'high end' options on things at times or not providing enough choices, and here's an instance where they go ahead and say "here it is, most people probably won't want or need this, but for those who do, here it is". and it's World War 3 all of a sudden.

But of course "Apple Fanboys" are the crazy ones :/
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-01-30, 15:30

Thinking about it, I think it's an Apple inferiority complex. Just yesterday they were all pinning their hopes on the Surface Pro taking away the iPads lustre and now they suddenly feel like that have been unfairly 1upped by Apple. Kinda like when your team is winning a football match with seconds to spare and the referee calls a penalty kick.

Last edited by Mugge : 2013-01-30 at 15:57. Reason: Typo
Wrao
Yarp

2013-01-30, 15:39

Surface Pro is a weird product too. It's basically an ultrabook that is masquerading as a tablet, where 'yeah sure it functions like a tablet, and Windows 8 runs on it and Windows 8 is touch friendly' but it's still born of compromise and misses on enough points for it to stand out awkwardly against most tablets. Notably being thicker, heavier, worse battery life, less storage(because the OS takes up so much space), more heat, longer boot times, and expensive for a tablet.

Intel is pushing the 'convertible tablet' concept pretty hard and the next wave of ultrabooks are going to all be convertible tablets, running windows 8, and next to that, what does Surface Pro offer again? but perhaps more importantly, the punch-line is that convertible tablets SUCK. It is a terrible form factor for general usage.

I would sooner own two iPads or a MBA and an iPad than have a convertible tablet/ultrabook.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2013-01-30, 16:00

I like how Surface RT ships with Office, but Surface Pro does not. Makes sense.
Wrao
Yarp

2013-01-30, 16:44

On the topic of higher capacity mobile devices, I wonder how long it'll be before we start seeing 256gb or 512 or even a terabyte? On the one hand, one could reasonably expect technology to progress in such a manner as it has with all other forms of storage, but on the other hand, I have heard before that making solid state drives that large is physically problematic and more complicated than could easily be pared down for a mobile device. I don't understand the technical difficulties inherent to this, but I have read here and there that even just making an iPad 128gb versus 64gb isn't simply a question of shoving a higher capacity chip into it and there are energy and thermal considerations as well.

I also wonder if Apple would ever go the route of breaking up the iPad line in a similar sort of way to the Surface RT and Surface Pro where you have iPad Minis as well as full-sized iPads that are ultra thin and light living alongside of a thicker iPad that is significantly higher capacity and/or uses more powerful hardware all around, but still runs the same OS and apps. Ultimately, for how many people are migrating to iPads as full-sale replacements for their laptops, it's not inconceivable that Apple would want to 'fragment' the line a little and offer a wider range of models to choose from to accommodate that reality, even if the difference is somewhat subtle or insignificant on the surface.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-01-30, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
I also wonder if Apple would ever go the route of breaking up the iPad line in a similar sort of way to the Surface RT and Surface Pro where you have iPad Minis as well as full-sized iPads that are ultra thin and light living alongside of a thicker iPad that is significantly higher capacity and/or uses more powerful hardware all around, but still runs the same OS and apps. Ultimately, for how many people are migrating to iPads as full-sale replacements for their laptops, it's not inconceivable that Apple would want to 'fragment' the line a little and offer a wider range of models to choose from to accommodate that reality, even if the difference is somewhat subtle or insignificant on the surface.
As long as they keep the screen sizes the same, I think it would be possible to have a thin iPad along with a thicker "Pro Pad". Then it would only be a matter of some apps reqiering the pro specs in order to run at full capacity. However, I think that Mores law might just make it more practical to stick with just one model. At least until someone comes up with a use case that calls for a Pro Pad.
¡Damned!

2013-01-30, 17:06

It's kind've a kick in the nuts to be able to get an extra 64GB for 100 bucks when you've ostensibly paid 300 for your first 64, but whatevs. Margins, Apple, blah and blah. It's pretty much expected for now - until they raise the lowest-end to 32GB that is (which will happen, though not in the next cycle).

I really don't see an iPad mini with a 128GB option for a while. If the mini gets a retina display there's basically no distinguishing the larger iPad from the mini except for size and weight (much less so if the mockups come true), and Apple always needs something to make a case for the upsell.

Looking at those larger iPad mockups though made my groin tingle. Don't get me wrong, the iPad mini is still the perfect device in every way, but if Apple can make the full iPad that thin plus shave a considerable amount off the edges I may revisit my "the iPad is too damn big" mantra.

So it goes.
addabox
Veteran Member

2013-01-30, 17:59

I love the idea of an iPad Pro being matched by apps that mirror the capacities of their desktop counterparts, but for that to really work Apple has to figure out what they want to do with things like file handling and some of the more complex UI interactions.

It's what MS is getting wrong with Windows 8, IMO. The problem isn't underpowered hardware or some unwillingness to "do real work." It's that preserving the functionality of those "real" apps while keeping them genuinely touch friendly is really, really difficult.

Apple has approached this problem by eliminating some of that functionality, while preserving most of what most people want to do. But if they intend to extend the reach of the iPad into genuine laptop replacement territory, they're either going to have to add something like a "show advanced options" toggle, that exposes some file system stuff and additional UI elements, or figure out how to make everything in, say, FCP X, available to straightforward touch control.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2013-01-30, 18:01

I just want an iPad version of Aperture that seamlessly syncs with the desktop version.
¡Damned!

2013-01-30, 19:45

I think this is just the first jist with Cook putting his balls out there (shaved as they may be). 128GB iPad gives the reviewers a nice backdrop against the Surface RT.

Expect more from Cook this year. He's not a visionary, but he surely knows how to excite from his days with Steve. AND he surely knows how to fight to the death for patents. PLUS, I don't mind him. He seems nice.

So it goes.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-02-02, 10:38

The Macalope also notices the 128 GB rage and some other assorted jackassery.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2013-02-02, 14:36

The fundamental assumption in those articles is that people buy tablets because they're cheaper than "real computers", not because they're a perfectly valid piece of technology all on their own.

I wouldn't be surprised if this product means the introduction of a pro app ported from the Mac — Aperture, or maybe even Final Cut Pro.

What it hopefully also means is a slight increase of the ASP.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2013-02-02, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
What it hopefully also means is a slight increase of the ASP.
LOL. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single customer who cares about that. I know I don't.
chucker

2013-02-03, 03:04

That's not the point.