User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Spinning Wheel Hell

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Spinning Wheel Hell
Mr. X

2005-01-14, 00:39

Just when it looked like everything was FINALLY set....I started encountering some VERY annoying problems with my iBook...

1) When I click in a help menu (iCal help, Mac help, etc.), the spinning wheel comes on the screen and stays there for good, forcing me to shut down....

2) Safari will not connect to any sites...it's possible this is the network's fault, but, I have a feeling it has something to do with my iBook. When I couldn't connect before, a message on Safari would say "unable to connect"...NOW, it just sits there with some of the address bar in blue, doing nothing....it will connect to the homepage every once in awhile, and then go back to the same thing.....??

3) When I wake the iBook up from sleep, it keeps saying, "Now running on reserve power," even though the battery is over 90% full!

So far, I've repaired permissions---which fixed absolutely nothing. Any Mac genius have a clue? This has been a bumpy beginning for me...the last time I purchased a Mac (over 4 years ago), it was all a breeze....I'm getting frustrated, but I'm keeping my cool this time! :smokey:
Akumulator

2005-01-14, 00:42

Have you tried installing more RAM?
Mr. X

2005-01-14, 00:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
Have you tried installing more RAM?
Ohhh yeah...I maxed it out to 1.25G (from Crucial)
Akumulator

2005-01-14, 00:56

I know.

Sorry, I guess I should have used a
Mr. X

2005-01-14, 00:57

Also....these things didn't start happening until I upgraded from 10.3.5 to 10.3.7....don't know if that has anything to do with these problems....I was thinking about doing a clean re-install of OSX 10.3.5........what do you think?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-01-14, 01:03

I get the battery warning as well on my PB, usually when the load on the battery spikes right after waking. The warning is triggered by a calculation that looks at current battery level, and the recent history of electricity draw, and decides that there are less than 10 minutes left. I think there's a post-waking bug that has the history sliced so thinly that anything above a nominal load makes it look like the battery is going to be drained very quickly. Nothing to worry about, just annoying.

Just a guess though.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-01-14, 01:20

It could have been the update. That update to 10.3.7 was absolute hell for me, safari was crippled, and I was experiencing a number of generally odd stalls/crashes of programs. You might just want to go to Apple's site and try reinstalling the update, at worst it won't fix anything, at best it will fix everything.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Mr. X

2005-01-14, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0eWax
It could have been the update. That update to 10.3.7 was absolute hell for me, safari was crippled, and I was experiencing a number of generally odd stalls/crashes of programs. You might just want to go to Apple's site and try reinstalling the update, at worst it won't fix anything, at best it will fix everything.
Well....with Safari not working right anymore, it's pretty hard to get to the Apple site to reinstall the update....

I'm going to reinstall factory settings, and just live with 10.3.5. I'll wait until my iPod Shuffle, iLife 05 and iWork 05 arrives before I attempt to update the OS again.

Funny, after doing many searches (including Apple's support discussion board), I found lots of people with the SAME problems after updating to 10.3.7. Perhaps it's buggy? Maybe they'll put out 10.3.8 to fix things...

Okay, here I go...back to the original settings, for now...
Mr. X

2005-01-14, 02:14

found this post at macworld.com:

Quote:
Visit Apple's OSX board. Lots of issues with 10.3.7 reported, including by a bunch of Level4s who normally assert that no OSX update is ever buggy. I stuck with 10.3.6.
...and I'll stick w/ 10.3.5
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-01-14, 13:15

This is the update you are looking for. It might be a very long time before 10.3.8 comes out, seeing as we haven't even heard anything about them seeding the build to developers. There is no reason not to try updating again.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Mr. X

2005-01-14, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0eWax
This is the update you are looking for. It might be a very long time before 10.3.8 comes out, seeing as we haven't even heard anything about them seeding the build to developers. There is no reason not to try updating again.
well, I can't believe how long it took to reinstall 10.3.5 and my iBook to factory settings...

...so why should I still update to 10.3.7 when it caused all kinds of problems? It's very annoying to see spinning wheels when you've MAXED the RAM...I certainly wasn't expecting to see them.....
adam_tj

2005-01-14, 19:16

No problems on my Powerboook, though I closed it one time and somethng went wrong when it was going to sleep and I had to reinstall Mac OS 10.3. After that, I jumped up to 10.3.7 and everything ran fine.

What's the difference between a Democrat and a bucket of crap? The bucket.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-14, 21:33

I have a feeling that something is up with this and third part apps/hardware...
adam_tj

2005-01-14, 21:42

I have
A microsoft mouse
a C84
a gateway EV730 monitor
DLINK router

anything wrong with these?
Mr. X

2005-01-15, 02:46

Well...I came home and reluctantly updated everything again....

This time, everything looks good! I'm on 10.3.7, the spinning wheels are almost non-existant, and I'm flying. I repaired permissions after each update, and I waited to install Bias Peak and my MOTU Firewire I/O until AFTER my factory settings reinstallation and 10.3.7 update.

I don't know if any of these things made a difference. I just know it's all working smooth and I'm very happy.

(the only things I didn't update from Software Update were iTunes--since I'm getting iLife 05, iPod update--only affects iPod and mini--I only need updates to my Shuffle, iiSight---don't own....Airport Software---I don't own a base station......)