Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 4 of 103 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2006-04-12, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Too much competition?
Yeah. Three dudes in wigs wearing white makeup speaking in obviously fake accents.

I'll take those odds any day.
kbk

Send a message via MSN to kbk  
2006-04-13, 07:13

I went and saw Ice Age 2 today (I don't know how long its been around in the U.S but it only just opened in Australia)

I thought it was pretty good. Was a little slow in parts but had some giggle moments

MacBook Pro (1.83 Ghz 100GB Hard Drive 1GB RAM)
Lois: Peter, you're acting like a child!
Peter: Lois, if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? - a paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-04-13, 07:49

I can't deal with Ray Romano's voice, pretty much ensuring I'll never see that one (or its predecessor).
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-04-13, 23:44

I'd never seen Road House (1989) before, but I guess that they're coming out with a special edition and I had the opportunity to mix the second commentary for the DVD.
It's with Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier - it's hilarious.

They had nothing to do with the film, but someone at Sony/MGM heard them joke about Road House on the Clerks X commentary as asked them to do one for the new release.

I rarely recommend commentaries over the film itself, but this one is really great.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-14, 19:03

I'm interested to know if anyone has seen "Unknown White Male", and what your opinion of it is.

I've read 'some' reviews that thought it was fantastic; and other reviews that had suspicions that the whole premise was a fake - and not very interesting on top of that.

A summary excerpt from imdb:

Quote:
"Unknown White Male"

Just imagine waking up tomorrow with no memory of today or any other since the day of your birth. Imagine living without a history, without experience, no relationships, no past troubles. Imagine starting your life over again, making a new set of friends, finding new talents and falling in love for the first time. Imagine what it's like to see the world anew.

On the 2nd July 2003 Doug Bruce left his apartment on the Lower East Side at about 8pm. No one knew where he was going. No one knew he'd gone. He turned up, 11 hours later, on the New York subway heading to Coney Island. He had no idea who he was. Unknown White Male is the startling story of a man who, for no apparent reason, lost 37 years of life history, who lost every memory of his friends, his family and every experience he had ever known.

This true story follows Doug in the hours and months following his amnesia, as he tries to pierce his life back together and has to discover the world anew.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-18, 14:17

I'm really looking forward to seeing the new "Flight 93" movie.

The story of that flight has always affected me intensely.

Some commentaries on the film:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ent/columnists

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NGSTI8U9I1.DTL

I always wonder how *I* might have reacted had I been on the plane.

I *hope* I would have been brave and involved, and participated fully with the others in trying to wrest control of the plane away from the terrorists.

Do any of you have thoughts on the movie or on the ordeal itself?
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-18, 14:18

I will probably see this movie too; however, I wonder if it is still too soon for a movie about this.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-18, 14:26

I really am not looking forward to Flight 93's release. It looks like a cheap tactic to prey on a still-sensitive subject and reinforce the American public's xenophobia and hate towards Middle Easterners, Muslims, and foreigners in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgate article in Windswept's post
In the words of many family members, Americans have become "complacent" about their lives since the Sept. 11 attacks.
Right. Because we're all surrounded by terrorists and Mom and Pop need to keep an eye out for 'em whenever they go pick up the groceries or take Fluffy for a walk. We all need to be on the lookout because we're threatened now more than ever.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
MrENGLISH™
HerrDEUTSCH™

2006-04-18, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
I always wonder how *I* might have reacted had I been on the plane.

I *hope* I would have been brave and involved, and participated fully with the others in trying to wrest control of the plane away from the terrorists.

Do any of you have thoughts on the movie or on the ordeal itself?
Had any of us been in that situation, already knowing that the planes were being used to crash into buildings, we wouldn't have given a second thought to stopping the terrorist from completing their mission. Death was obviously minutes away so why not go out as heroes.

Seriously, 4 terrorists against 20-something passengers. I would have gone Chuck Norris on them.

this message was brought to you by MrENGLISH™
WARNING: may contain Sarcasm and/or Bad Spelling
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-04-18, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I really am not looking forward to Flight 93's release. It looks like a cheap tactic to prey on a still-sensitive subject and reinforce the American public's xenophobia and hate towards Middle Easterners, Muslims, and foreigners in general.
What Brad said.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-18, 21:04

Some comments from one review (globeandmail):

Quote:
NEW YORK -- The first Hollywood feature film to tackle the horrors of Sept. 11, 2001, unfolds with the responsible restraint of a docudrama, proceeding with terrifying inevitability, but largely avoiding sentimentality and the clichéd slick heroics of a Hollywood action picture.

Written and directed by Paul Greengrass, a British filmmaker whose features include the thriller The Bourne Supremacy and the IRA docudrama Bloody Sunday, United 93 is a taut, but sober, take on the events aboard the Boeing 757 that crashed in a field in Shanksville, Pa., on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, missing its intended target after passengers stormed the cockpit.

But the film, made on a London soundstage, is also a quiet tribute to those on the ground who did their best to fight back at the expanding threat, including air-traffic controllers, U.S. Federal Aviation Administration officials and members of the U.S. military who were hamstrung by delays, communication lapses and perhaps politicians who failed to make vital decisions in time.

Mr. Greengrass even puts some of the real-life heroes on the screen, including the FAA's national operations manager, Ben Sliney, who unilaterally invoked a total shutdown of U.S. airspace when he realized the growing threat. Mr. Sliney plays himself, and the cast includes many other non-professional actors. [...snip...]

Interesting, for a film that presents four Muslims hijacking a plane and killing some of its passengers, United 93 is a rare Hollywood feature that draws its Arabic bad guys with shading and a sense of humanity.
As I said, I am looking forward to this film because the events affected me greatly. I shed many, many tears for all the victims of that day, but I was particularly moved by the people on flight 93. They knew it was a virtual certainty that they were going to die; but instead of falling apart, they discussed, organized, and took action.

I tried to imagine this horrific experience in my own mind. I'm not sure why, exactly. I guess because it's one of the most dramatic situations I've ever heard of; and I feel that those people chose to sacrifice themselves for the rest of us, for our country, to keep the Capitol Bldg. from being incinerated, to spare our nation yet one more horror that day.

I don't think this is exploitation. As the article cites, the family members cooperated with the making of this film. I think if 'they' can believe it's a worthwhile endeavor, then I'm all for it. Plus, it is a pivotal event in American history and should be recorded as accurately as possible, in the best medium available. Just my opinion on the matter.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-04-18, 21:17

I had read that article too. My stance still stands, FWIW.

Regardless of how you portray the "bad guys", they are sill the "bad guys" and already received judgement in the eyes of the American public several years ago. Right now, people still need to heal, not be reminded with a part-fictional dramatization of the people and events that started a series of actions that brought the deaths of thousands (not just those in the airplanes and in the WTC and Pentagon).

Note also that the reporter who wrote that article didn't mention interviewing or polling any Muslims or other middle-eastern-looking minorities living in the USA. That's pretty convenient.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-04-19, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Yeah, I forgot to add "The DaVinci Code" earlier.

I read the book about two weeks ago (all in one shot on a Sunday, go figure). I know it'll have various sides all up in arms and whining, but it was an okay book. I've heard it all before, the basic gist/plot grabber.

But having read it, I'm curious to see how closely the movie does - or doesn't - follow it. I'm a little Tom Hanks-ed out at this point, but Ian McKellan is in it, as is Jean Reno. And I like them both.

And I figure the cinematography and locations shown will be nice to look at.
Ok, so I watched The Da Vinci Code three times over the past two days at work and I have to say - it's really pretty good.
Not, "OMG, Best movie of the year!", but quite good overall.

Like you guessed, pscates, visually beautiful on the whole and the locations in France (Le Louvre, the Rose Line and some lovely old churches especially) are wonderful.
Hans Zimmer's score is good, but it really shines at the climax.

I don't think that people will get too "up in arms" about the subject material of the film because of the way it's presented.
With Hanks debating one side and McKellan the other, the film presents the information and lets you decide what you want to believe.
Jean Reno is great and believable as usual. Paul Bettany is fantastic.

On my second viewing I noticed some very interesting shot choices and effects. One in particular was so subtle and quite brilliant.
People who know the book may catch it on the first viewing, but I had to grab the controller, roll back and look at the video frame by frame.
A really nice moment, but I'll wait until the film is released to do the spoiler box thingy.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-04-19, 21:31

My wife and I have actually seen more adult movies this year than kids movies so we're on a roll.
A couple of weeks ago we saw Thank You For Smoking and it was just tremendous. A good story told in a quirky way and just a boat load of great support roles. (J.K. Simmons-the shrink from Law & Order-William Macy-Rob Lowe-Robert Duvall-Katie Holmes-Maria Bello-Sam Elliot-and some kid from a wb show, according to my wife, Adam Brody? who made me blow popcorn through my nose...."the sand's not gonna rake itself Yoshi!" I nearly died.)

This weekend, a guilty pleasure for me, The new Hugh Grant movie American Dreamz I guess it's about an "American Idol" of which I have never seen, but since Tony Kornheiser talks about it incessantly on PTI I feel that I have. But it's directed by the guy who did "About A Boy" and that's in my top ten.
I never miss a Hugh Grant movie, he's my Man-Crush.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2006-04-19, 22:16

Off topic - but is this where you got SKMDC?
SKMDC

2006-04-19, 22:31

why yes it is, it was used twice during the run of the series. Lisa's (Maura Tierney's character) brother became rich when invented the video game in one episode. They asked her what the name of the video game was i she said, "oh I don't know...superkaratemonkeydeathcar or something like that."

In a later episode Jimmy James' (Stephen Root) book originally a failure in america was successfully translated into Japanese, it was so successful that the Japanese translation was retranslated back to english and one of the lines was:

Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans...and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate and round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.

Please tell me you're working on the last two seasons for DVD release.

NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2006-04-19, 22:50

Cool!
Yeah, I just mixed the Season Four commentaries a few weeks ago - they're really running out of things to talk about, so they announce an email address to send ideas and questions to for the Season Five commentaries.

Should I give out the email address before the DVD release..........hmmmm!

The principle writer on that episode, Josh Lieb, explained that the title came about when the New York Times started translating articles from English to Japanese, then back to English. What was translated contained part of T.S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" and it somehow came out with the phrase super karate monkey death car.
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-04-21, 18:48

Just got back from seeing Silent Hill. I wasn't expecting too much, but when they finally got to the town, I began to enjoy it some. I give it a C-. This movie isn't for those who are squeamish, btw.

It had enough of the creepiness from what I remember from the game. I didn't care too much for the extra plot they threw in outside of the town, though.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.

Last edited by Foj : 2006-04-21 at 22:55.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-04-21, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
On my second viewing I noticed some very interesting shot choices and effects. One in particular was so subtle and quite brilliant.
People who know the book may catch it on the first viewing, but I had to grab the controller, roll back and look at the video frame by frame.
A really nice moment, but I'll wait until the film is released to do the spoiler box thingy.
I did read the book. Would you mind PM'ing me what you saw? I won't be "spoiled" (I know the story, etc.) and I'm asking nicely.

I'm curious as can be to know if it's what I think it is (there are two sequences in the book that made me stop and go "if I were making this movie, I'd be sure to...").

NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2006-04-21, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I did read the book. Would you mind PM'ing me what you saw? I won't be "spoiled" (I know the story, etc.) and I'm asking nicely.

I'm curious as can be to know if it's what I think it is (there are two sequences in the book that made me stop and go "if I were making this movie, I'd be sure to...").

Probably completely different sequences since there's so many ways a book can change once it's made into a movie.

PM sent.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-04-23, 01:18

This might be worth some peoples time...

http://www.invisiblechildren.com/theMovie/
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-04-23, 01:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
and some kid from a wb show, according to my wife, Adam Brody? who made me blow popcorn through my nose...."the sand's not gonna rake itself Yoshi!" I nearly died.)

my youngest loves adam brody...he is on the oc on fox...actually is pretty good at that style of flat, straight man but cutting comments....

so she is actually planning on going to this movie with me this week...she doesn't usually like black comedies or movies with a message, but put her favorite actor in it and suddenly she is bugging me to find the showtimes

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-04-23, 17:21

I heard today that one of the Middle Eastern guys who plays a terrorist in the movie of Flight 93 won't be able to enter the country to attend the US premiere because he can't pass the background check.

I thought that was kind of interesting.

Also, Mark Bingham's mother was interviewed about the movie, and she said she thought it was a wonderful film - a tribute to her son and all the others who died.

I *completely* agree with everyone who doesn't want to see portrayals of events in the towers. I personally will *never* get over the towers. Not ever.

But flight 93 seems different to me, since it's about the courage of ordinary Americans in the face of certain death, and I'm so very proud of them. *weeps*
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-04-23, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
Off topic - but is this where you got SKMDC?
I love News Radio. That's amazing that you're doing that.

Kind of random, but since you're working with audio mixing and such...do you know anything about the upcoming release of The Tick DVDs? I know they are set for August, but more information would be greatly appreciated

PS. My girlfriend's favorite poem is 'Lovesong...' I'll have to tell her that.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

2006-04-23, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artap99
I love News Radio. That's amazing that you're doing that.

Kind of random, but since you're working with audio mixing and such...do you know anything about the upcoming release of The Tick DVDs? I know they are set for August, but more information would be greatly appreciated

PS. My girlfriend's favorite poem is 'Lovesong...' I'll have to tell her that.
Listen, I marvel all the time at how fortunate I am to have the job that I do.
I'm extremely fortunate to have a job that I love and look forward to every day. It blows my mind how things have worked out.

Regarding The Tick, that's a 20th Century Fox show. I work for Sony Pictures, but my best friend is running the DVD department at Fox, so I'll ask him if he has any Tick info and get back to you.
kbk

Send a message via MSN to kbk  
2006-04-23, 22:59

Please dont shoot me...

But I watched, for the first time, Good Will Hunting last night.

I had put off watching it for many years..thinking "hmm it's not really my "type" of movie".

Well I regret the decision...not to watch it.

I loved it, absolutley loved it. But I'll probley never watch it again...too sad...made me cry too much.

So that "re-arranges" my favourite movies list

1.Donnie Dark
2.Good Will Hunting
3.Spirited Away
etc. etc.

Oh and I also watched Saw 2...very bloody...but not bad...dragged on towards the end but had a pretty good twist

And "freddy got fingered"....i have NO idea WHAT that guy was smoking. It was just plain strange...and god dammit i CANNOT get that "backwards man" tune out of my head

MacBook Pro (1.83 Ghz 100GB Hard Drive 1GB RAM)
Lois: Peter, you're acting like a child!
Peter: Lois, if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? - a paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert!
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-04-24, 00:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk
1.Donnie Dark
2.Good Will Hunting
3.Spirited Away
etc. etc.
You liked "Spirited Away" too, eh? I've described it as "a kids movie that would give any kid I know nightmares for two weeks" just cause I thought some of the imagery was so creepy. Really good movie.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
SKMDC

2006-04-24, 09:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
You liked "Spirited Away" too, eh? I've described it as "a kids movie that would give any kid I know nightmares for two weeks" just cause I thought some of the imagery was so creepy. Really good movie.
My kids were 5 & 4 and watched Spirited Away daily.
My Neighbor Tortoro and Howls Moving Castle just came out on DVD and Tortoro gets watched a ton (they have a 3 year old sister now) and Howl a little less.

Whenever we go to a Birthday Party now we buy a Tortoro for a gift as not nearly enough kids are hip to Miyazaki as should be.

and gelding Thank You for Not Smoking would be a fantastic movie to see with a teenager as A) the story is played out in front of the tobacco lobbyist's sons eyes.
B) and it makes you think about the way society works.

My wife and I saw American Dreamz and I laughed so hard I cried, Quaid actually turned in a sympathetic portrait of a President Bush-esque President.

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-04-24, 09:29

I just watched Red Eye for the first time last night and it was a lot better than I had expected; however, it left a lot to be desired. It seemed to be somewhat unconnected. Like they never explain why they want to assassinate the guy. I feel like it could have been better and longer if it had included more of a back-story maybe.
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-04-24, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk
I went and saw Ice Age 2 today (I don't know how long its been around in the U.S but it only just opened in Australia)

I thought it was pretty good. Was a little slow in parts but had some giggle moments
Some producer got hold of the scratt character and decided to ruin him like HB did with Tom and Jerry years back.. By trying to humanise him too much... Probably hoping to sell lots of scratt toys this time around, as they made scant few for the first movie and underestimated how popular he would be. Better to have left him as originally intended I feel.

Queen Latifa was great though.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt