I prefer wine coolers 3 3.41%
Craft and specialty brews 31 35.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of beer do you drink?
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-04-27, 21:37

I thought you'd all appreciate a good beer thread.

Personally, I'm a fan of lagers, medium-dark beers, and unfiltered wheats. The "lite" stuff is usually too watered-down, but sometimes it's good to cool down on a hot day. Stouts are usually too bitter for my taste though there are a few that I like.
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-04-27, 21:47

A thread about beer?? Brilliant!

When I do drink I'm more of a lager/medium beer drinker.
¡Damned!

2007-04-27, 21:59

You need to add a craft/micro option.

I mostly like ales, and IPAs in particular. One made with centennial hops and a touch of some nice spicy amarillos added in the secondary is my favorite. IPAs have to be balanced with the right amount of malts though, some brewers just pile in hops because 'teh more bitter is better!'. Idiots. I also love a good stout. Not bitter stouts, but those made with the right amount of roasted malty sweetness. Some heavy ales are also nice. I'm not a big fan of the Belgian singles, dubbels, or tripels, but quads are sublime. Black ales (pales made with roasted malts) are great light summer beers with a good dark taste. I've only had a very few porters that are great, but those that are great are, well, great. I don't like wheat beer, though mead and wheat beer mixed (kind of a poor man's braggot) is really nice. And every boy deserves a nice Lambic Framboise on his birthday.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-27, 22:10

All kinds...depends on the mood, situation, who I'm with, what I'm doing, etc.

If I'm in a local redneck/dipshit sports bar type of place watching a race or whatever, I'll drink the standard domestic cheap bullcrap. If I'm out at something like an Irish pub, or maybe a more upscale/hipster joint, I'll go with the micro brews or something like Bass.

I change to fit my surroundings to I don't stand out like a snobby, "too good for the place" pansy or an uncultured, low-rent redneck, depending on where I am. I'm nothing if not flexible. I feel at home in both surroundings.

But I don't do it much at all anymore, not like I used to.

Domestic: Bud Light, Coors, Pabst Blue Ribbon (when I'm really slumming it or drinking with my singer...she loves that crap for some reason)

Other: Bass, Bass. Did I mention Bass? Corona.

Other again: I'll drink anything with a bitchin' label/logo. I figure if they put that much thought into that end of it, maybe they've made a pretty good drink to go with it.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-04-27, 22:37

If I go cheap, I go *really* cheap, and if I want to drink well, I drink *well*. I have a (probably nostalgic) thing for PBR. So I never even touch those national brands (with the occasional exception of Sam Adams if it's the only decent thing on tap). It's either PBR or Microbrew/craft/IPA. IPAs have a very special place in my heart... I take one sip and take a big breath and think to myself "life is good".

My favorite Brewery? Bells from Kalamazoo in Michigan (I'm drinking an Oberon right now). I *really* like their IPA, but then again I also really like Goose Island's IPA (it's very highly rated). I've been meaning to do a blind taste test between the two while I still have some Bell's in the fridge. We'll see where my true allegiances are.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-04-27, 22:40

I typically only drink stouts and porters. Real beer.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2007-04-27, 22:45

My favorites are a good red and an unfiltered wheat.

Both usually tend to fall in the specialty/micro category as well.

Favorites:
Saranac Mounatin Ale ( Utica, NY) (Reddish with a bit of fruit)
Casco Bay Riptide Red (Bangor, ME)
Saranac Belgian White (Utica, NY)

What about brown ales? Smithwick's and Newcastle kick ass!

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
¡Damned!

2007-04-27, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
...Pabst Blue Ribbon (when I'm really slumming it or drinking with my singer...she loves that crap for some reason)
Sacrilege! PBR is fantastic. I was raised on the stuff. It's the only domestic beer that actually tastes like something. They don't give a Blue Ribbon to just any ole domestic swill don't cha know.

On another note, Old Milwaukee makes a really good NA beer. Really. I keep it in my fridge and have a can of that instead of a soda pop if I'm thirsty.

So it goes.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-04-27, 22:59

You know, last time I had IPA it was awful. On the other hand, that might be because it was crap IPA. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be or if it's just because of the brewery. It was from Summit, a Minnesota brewery. Every Summit beer I've ever had has been way too bitter, and the IPA was the worst of the bunch. It wasn't brown, it was black.

Guinness is also a bit too bitter for me. I did find one really, really good stout that I love though; Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout. It's dark and thick, but at the same time it's not overly bitter, just very rich and flavorful. That was good. Maybe that's what IPA is supposed to be like.

My favorites are still lagers. Beck is one of my favorites. In fact, most German lagers I've tried have been really great. I've even tried several in China! There's a restaurant here called Golden Hans that has all-you-can-eat meat served in a sort of dim-sum style (waiters visit your table with various pieces of meat for you), and they also have a good selection of German beer.

Most beer in China is of the light, slightly sweet variety. To top it off, they sometimes serve it at room temperature if you order it from a restaurant (yuck). There's one variety, though, that just falls into the second poll option. I keep a bunch of bottles in my fridge here.

EDIT: Also, I realize there are roughly 1 zillion varieties of beer, but I can't create a poll with that many options. I tried to sort beers into categories based on their general color and flavor. A brown ale would probably fall in with the dark beer, even though that's lumping it with stouts, which aren't the same. Oh well.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2007-04-27, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Sacrilege! PBR is fantastic. I was raised on the stuff. It's the only domestic beer that actually tastes like something. They don't give a Blue Ribbon to just any ole domestic swill don't cha know.

On another note, Old Milwaukee makes a really good NA beer. Really. I keep it in my fridge and have a can of that instead of a soda pop if I'm thirsty.
How did I miss the PBR slam?! Ok, so I was raised on Schmidts, but I find that PBR is really the only tolerable American domestic that has a taste. I still consider Labatt Blue my "domestic" favorite.

EDIT: Murbot, you get Yukon Red up your way? Damn I miss that from last summer.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
¡Damned!

2007-04-27, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
My favorite Brewery? Bells from Kalamazoo in Michigan (I'm drinking an Oberon right now). I *really* like their IPA...
Nice. I was just there. The Two Hearted is indeed a fine beer. I don't like the Oberon very much (too sweet, like a lot of Larry's beers) but he's got some good ones. The Two Hearted and the Expedition Stout are my faves, and the Porter isn't too bad either.

You should try a Founders (another great Michigan brewery) IPA if you can find it where you live. It was selected as the benchmark for all IPAs in American beer judging competitions. It's that good.

So it goes.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-04-27, 23:04

I like all beer. I prefer IPA's. I'm less fond of really dark, heavy beers. My default beers are either Keith's IPA or Moosehead Green. Steamwhistle is good from the tap if your in Toronto. Mill Street is good anytime. Right now I'm drinking a Lowenbrau that got a bit skunky from chilling it out in the sun when it was cold a few weeks ago.

All in all, beer is good.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-04-27, 23:05

Medium (Bass), Unfiltered (Occasional Blue Moon), Specialty (Micro-brewed medium).
iDorf

2007-04-27, 23:16

Wet
¡Damned!

2007-04-27, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
I did find one really, really good stout that I love though; Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.
Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is one of those rare beers that every beer lover agrees is good. Kind of a staple you pick up if you can't find one of the more obscure brews. Another beer that's considered a staple like that would be Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. Just a really solid beer that only the most uneducated of palates would find offensive.

Oh, and a proper IPA should be kind of amber colored, not brown or black (), and unfiltered (that is, not clear like a lager, but more cloudy like a wheat beer). Like I mentioned above, some brewers just hop the shit out of it because they think that's what people want (there are people out there...we call them 'hopheads'...that go for the IBU at the expense of taste). In reality, they just don't know how to make a good IPA (and it is difficult to make a balanced IPA...hops are an easy way to mask other mistakes made in the brew).

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-27, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

Yeah, it's not completely horrible. I've just never really had it until I started playing with these guys, and she'll come to rehearsal with a six pack (or two) of the stuff. I get thirsty after a while, and...

I've had better, but I've certainly had worse.

I think it's just all the funny connotations over the years. I always get a chuckle what I pop the top, and think back to a few songs I know that mention it by name ("red neck, white socks and blue ribbon beer").

And on a related note, this, my friends, is true dedication. (no, it's not mine).
Majost

2007-04-27, 23:28

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only PBR fan here. It really is the only cheap beer that actually tastes good. (But you gotta get the bottles, not the cans. They do taste different.) There was one time my friends and I went out to the bar and they were having a special -- Miller High Life was the same price as Pabst. We shrugged our shoulders and ordered Pabst... but the dumb waitress couldn't get it through her head that we actually *preferred* Pabst -- even if something else was just as cheap.

We had to convince her that we *really* wanted Pabst by saying things like, "Did High Life win a Blue Ribbon? I didn't think so" and "I only drink union-brewed beers" (check the label, it is!)
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2007-04-27, 23:32

Wine coolers?
¡Damned!

2007-04-27, 23:34

Yeah, it seems to be making some sort of odd 'comeback' nowadays. I'm used to the rednecks bars I'll hang out/shoot pool at having it, but it seems more and more of the trendier joints are serving it too. I was taken aback last week when I rolled into a place that I'd never been in (and didn't have anything good on tap) and asked if they had PBR....you know what the bartenderess said? "Yeah, we just started carrying some of the retro beer." That's right, retro. I'll be 40 in a month and a half, and I'm drinking retro beer. My god.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-27, 23:52

I think the Pabst Blue Ribbon "comeback" falls squarely in with that whole "trucker hat"/70's ringer T-shirt thing (worn ironically, of course...you don't really like Starsky & Hutch, Tab cola or Evel Knievel...you're just making a statement, and letting others know that you're in on it and that you "get it").

College kids and twenty-something hipsters embracing something hopelessly unhip and passé, thereby suddenly making it cool again for a short time (the only reason you're seeing it in some of the younger, trendier joints, believe me). It'll all pass in short order, and go back to being universally derided and not consumed by anyone except the most toothless, crusty-livered hardcases in the shittiest of taverns in the iffy side of town.

Even Ashton Kutcher put down his trucker hat after a while...

Kids...God bless 'em.

On a related note, expect an out-of-nowhere "Smoky and the Bandit" revival any week now (sorority chicks trading in their Jettas for a Trans-Am, guys growing Burt 'staches, Jerry Reed touring the college circuit, etc.).

zippy
Veteran Member

2007-04-28, 01:16

Mostly, I'll drink any beer that comes in a can, bottle or a glass.

As for some of my favorites, well let's see:

Pigs Ass Porter (local)
Double Black Diamond Extreme Stout (local)
Moose Drool (local)
Fat Tire
Sam Adams Lager
Alaskan Amber
Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve
Corona

My favorites are probably the Fat Tire, Alaskan Amber and Sam Adams Lager.

I did just finish a Blue Paddle Pilsner from New Belgium Brewery that was pretty good. It came from a bottle, so it met one of my three criteria listed above.

by the way, this poll is missing a simple "beer" option

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-04-28, 03:01

Oh man, I love Moose Drool. Good stuff.

EDIT: Also, they have Pabst Blue Ribbon here in China. Given all the love it's getting here I'm going to have to try it.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-04-28, 03:04

Heineken! Fuck that shit. Pabst blue ribbon!

But on a serious note, I never stick to the same beer... similar to my wines. We have some great beer bars here that exclusively serve micro-brewed beers from around the world.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-04-28, 03:25

Kronenbourg Blanc FTW!
Majost

2007-04-28, 03:41

Quote:
Oh man, I love Moose Drool. Good stuff.

EDIT: Also, they have Pabst Blue Ribbon here in China. Given all the love it's getting here I'm going to have to try it.
Oh, come now, there's no need for any other type of alcohol when you have the miracle-liquid that is Baijou on every street corner.
Jerman

2007-04-28, 04:04

Quote:
I thought you'd all appreciate a good beer thread.

Personally, I'm a fan of lagers, medium-dark beers, and unfiltered wheats. The "lite" stuff is usually too watered-down, but sometimes it's good to cool down on a hot day. Stouts are usually too bitter for my taste though there are a few that I like.
That's exactly what I chose on the poll. I love a good cigar or pipe and an unfiltered wheat on a nice day outside...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-04-28, 04:20

Typically just light beer; often Alster (though the Wikipedia description is full of it; we drink it with lemon, not orange, and only lame people call that "Radler" ). I do enjoy the rare, occasional Guinness, though.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2007-04-28, 06:37

Loves: Kilkenny, Carlton Draught, Tooheys New, Coopers' Sparkling Ale

Hates: Corona, VB, Heineken, Pils

I won't admit to ever drinking light (as in low alcohol) beer, but If I Did It it would have been Hahn Premium Light and it would have been okay.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.

Last edited by Barto : 2007-04-28 at 07:36.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-04-28, 07:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Fat Tire
I've had that before. It was good!
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-04-28, 07:33

Well, I'm a college student. By definition, I drink that really nasty light beer that tastes more like bitter water than beer.

I can, however, rank the cheap beers:

*Best*
- Coors Light
- Keystone Light ($12.99 a 30? Can't go wrong!)
- Miller Light
- PBR
- Bud Light
- Busch Light
- Busch
- Genesse
- High Life
- Milwaukee's Best
- Natty
- Natty Ice (hard to find. but don't go looking.)
*Worst*

The last time I had anything other than the above beer was when we made Irish car bombs on St. Patty's day. With dirt cheap whiskey. We had to balance out the two cases of Guinness and the three bottles of Irish Cream somehow.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.