Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

'Weird' is a relative word!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
'Weird' is a relative word!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Freewell

2007-01-25, 01:02

No I am not talking about those people you see at the family reunion and wonder how in God's name you could have possibly come from the same gene pool!

It occurred to me that there are interesting things, methods, or habits about each one of us that work extremely well for us, but that others may find themselves scratching their head to understand. It could provide a great deal of entertainment to share a few of them here! (Try to keep it clean...we really don't need to know any dirty little secrets. )

Anyway, I know that for me, in a day and age of convenience and instant gratification, there are those who question my sanity because I actually use (quite happily I might add!) cloth diapers on our baby, and intend to do so for the rest of the brood to come. Not exactly your norm in a Pass-the-Pampers-Please society!

What about the rest of you? What unique element in your life do you find to be completely normal, that the general masses at the very least cast a quizzical glance at, and in some instances, start spontaneously talking about this *great* psychiatrist they just heard about?! If you recognize any of the following facial expressions in response to it, it probably qualifies!

Wrao
Yarp

2007-01-25, 01:15

However, relative to the rest of the world, it is still spelled "weird"
Freewell

2007-01-25, 01:19

My plot worked...

One small swap of the letters, and it just adds to the whole ambiance of it all!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-01-25, 07:23

Yes, I enjoy cloth diapars too!!
Wait...
Kohoutek

2007-01-25, 08:29

Until about a year ago I had never owned a mobile phone, if I wasn't at home or at work then I did not want to be contacted. People used to look at me pretty strangely when they asked for my mobile number and I said I didn't have one.

I have one now, but I guard my number carefully, I think only a total of 15-20 close family, friends and a few work colleagues have it. I couldn't be one of these people who's phone is constantly bleeping with messages and phone calls, it would drive me bonkers.
specter

2007-01-25, 08:51

Well, almost never go by bus - if there's a chance I turn on my mp3 player and walk Even if the weather is nasty I prefer to walk, listening to the music. I'm very disappointed that I have to spend about two hours everyday in the underground. My friends think it to be a quirk It's not an oddity of course, but I like walking
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-01-25, 09:16

You guys are soooo...

...normal. Except Drew. He's a little odd. A real frisky dingo, he is.

Doesn't anyone have any band camp stories? Let's seee... things I do that other people think... are... weirrrd. Hmmm. *scratches chin* Instead of buying a small snow-blower like half my neighborhood, I opt instead to shovel my entire driveway and sidewalk area (maybe 50 feet worth of 2-car-wide driveway and maybe 40 feet of sidewalk) by hand... even when we get 8" or more of snow overnight. It's my new idea of "exercise" since I don't get any elsewhere seems like.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-01-25, 09:38

Nothing major, but a few little quirks that amuse friends and family:

- I have to sit in a restaurant facing the door (or the main part of the place). It drives me crazy to have my back to a huge room where I can't see what's going on, or can't keep an eye on the door. Everyone who knows me, everytime we go to dinner somewhere, they always grab the chair or the side of the booth that leaves the other one open for me to "scope out the joint", and make some little friendly jab ("Okay, Al Capone...make sure you can see everything").

- I don't like hot food, and will often eat chili and soup straight from the can, cold, with a spoon. This one freaks my Dad out big time. And I like my chicken, pasta, popcorn and pizza all cold and one-day old (like sitting in the fridge overnight).

- I always round my credit card restaurant bill up to an even, whole number. Whatever the final bill is, I'll make the cents on the tip portion in such a way that it comes to a round (is that the word?) number. Example: bill is $16.69. I'll tip $3.31 (or whatever, based on service, etc.) so it's $20 I'm putting on the card. I can't stand for my statement to be all sorts of weirdo numbers ($17.11, $22.43, etc...at least not when I can control it; no, I don't do this at a store, only at restaurants where I can work the tip to make it come out).

- And four cubes of ice in my drink. Always. No more, no less (no, I don't enforce this at restaurants...only in situations where I'm making my drink and can control it easly...I'm not THAT nutty).

It's all coming together now a bit, huh?

Holy smokes...when I sit and write it all out, it's obvious that I have a few issues.

Years ago (late childhood, early teens), I had this thing where if I turned around (spun around while playing, dancing or whatever), I'd have to "undo it" and spin back the other way fairly soon afterwards. I somehow imagined this invisible cord tied to me, and if I didn't offset/undo my spin, it was somehow wrapping around me.

But I let that one go decades ago. But for a while there (9-13 years of age or so?), I was eaten up with the idea of "balancing out my spins or rotation". I fell out of a tree trying to do that, so I'm pretty sure that cured me of it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-01-25, 09:47

Perhaps I'm saying too much here. Whatever image most have of me (and whatever "cool points" I've earned here over the years) is about to be obliterated, I'm afraid.

"Holy shit, Paul's a bit of a flaming nutbasket...can I take those rep points back?".

Freewell

2007-01-25, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
- I have to sit in a restaurant facing the door (or the main part of the place). It drives me crazy to have my back to a huge room where I can't see what's going on, or can't keep an eye on the door. Everyone who knows me, everytime we go to dinner somewhere, they always grab the chair or the side of the booth that leaves the other one open for me to "scope out the joint", and make some little friendly jab ("Okay, Al Capone...make sure you can see everything").
I am actually big on knowing my surroundings as well, but not quite to this level. It is actually good that you are alert like that. So many people are totally oblivious to who and what is going on around them. You'd make a great witness in the event that anything ever did transpire.

Quote:
- I don't like hot food, and will often eat chili and soup straight from the can, cold, with a spoon. This one freaks my Dad out big time. And I like my chicken, pasta, popcorn and pizza all cold and one-day old (like sitting in the fridge overnight).
My husband eats cold food like this, and yes it drives me nuts! But, having taken a vow against naggery, I either look the other way, grin and have a little fun ("Can I thaw that out for you, Sweetie?" or like editorial input) or just make sure that I serve him a nice hot meal before he gets the chance to grab any of the cooled cuisine!

Quote:
- I always round my credit card restaurant bill up to an even, whole number. Whatever the final bill is, I'll make the cents on the tip portion in such a way that it comes to a round (is that the word?) number. Example: bill is $16.69. I'll tip $3.31 (or whatever, based on service, etc.) so it's $20 I'm putting on the card. I can't stand for my statement to be all sorts of weirdo numbers ($17.11, $22.43, etc...at least not when I can control it; no, I don't do this at a store, only at restaurants where I can work the tip to make it come out).
I used to do this all the time! Restaurants, gas stations, you name it... But, just like my steadfast habit of getting up and going the first second the alarm clock went off, my husband has 'cured' me of both!

Quote:
Holy smokes...when I sit and write it all out, it's obvious that I have a few issues.

Actually, we all do... Isn't it refreshing?!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-01-25, 10:03

I don't feel so bad because I know some folks with some major - and far sillier - ones.
Freewell

2007-01-25, 10:03

Have I mentioned I don't watch t.v.? Hate the thing. Favorite button is the 'Off' button. Been like this since I was a kid. (teenager I guess)

(Feeling better yet, Paul? )

Fortunately, my husband dislikes it about as much as I do, so there is no issue for us!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-01-25, 10:11

Well, now is probably the best time to not watch TV. It's amazing...all the technology (HD, DVR, etc.) and all the channels and available (digital cable, satellite, etc.) there is now more unwatchable, idiotic crap on than ever before.

"More" ain't always "better", is it?

I'm seriously considering - and have been for a week or two now - yanking my cable (wait...I mean having Comcast discontinue their cable TV service to me...whew) and just having Internet and renting DVDs. I'd miss a few shows ("Mythbusters" and maybe two more, tops), but 99.3% of it is just crap I wouldn't watch if you put a gun to my head. I could save some good money (or put it toward a Netflix account instead?).

The news is too depressing and lame, sitcoms aren't funny, dramas are all rip-offs of one another (yes, we need six more "gritty forensics" shows, don't we...the current 14 just isn't enough), "reality TV" is the dregs, I'm not into sports, etc.

All those channels, and nothing on. Kinda speaks volumes.

I may very well do that...keep my Internet (of course), stop the TV and just get a Netflix subscription (I love movies but I despise going to Blockbuster...it's a total zoo and their selection has gotten worse, not better, over time...they'll stock 240 copies of Adam Sandler's latest waste-of-time, but I couldn't find some quirky, funky movie I remembered seeing years and years ago and would like to watch again, like "Southern Comfort", "Breaking Away", "Sid & Nancy", etc.).

Hmmm...
Chinney
Veteran Member

2007-01-25, 10:30

Well I’m weird, but everybody is. Weird is fine, because their really is no normal, except in statistics – and statistics don’t deal with individuals. (Actually, an unhealthy type of weird is if you try to be normal.) Now for one of my weirdnesses, I suppose you could check out the opening post of my “"Sandwich Confessions” thread of a week or two ago. (But for real weirdness, check out the people putting chips (crisps) in their sandwiches. I am still trying to deal with that one ) Also, my wife thinks that it is weird that I play AldoNova fantasy hockey against Moogs and the boys.
Freewell

2007-01-25, 10:38

Quote:
The news is too depressing and lame, sitcoms aren't funny, dramas are all rip-offs of one another (yes, we need six more "gritty forensics" shows, don't we...the current 14 just isn't enough), "reality TV" is the dregs, I'm not into sports, etc.
Hail, someone's finally noticed!!!

Quote:
All those channels, and nothing on. Kinda speaks volumes.

Very astute observation.

Quote:
I may very well do that...keep my Internet (of course), stop the TV and just get a Netflix subscription (I love movies but I despise going to Blockbuster...it's a total zoo and their selection has gotten worse, not better, over time...they'll stock 240 copies of Adam Sandler's latest waste-of-time, but I couldn't find some quirky, funky movie I remembered seeing years and years ago and would like to watch again, like "Southern Comfort", "Breaking Away", "Sid & Nancy", etc.).

Hmmm...
If you are are already this much inclined, I think you'll be amazed at what a new lease on life you'll have! It's like getting years of your life back that got sucked into a mystical black hole, never to be seen again! And as far as missing it... you probably will, but much in the same manner a food addict misses their donuts upon adapting a healthier lifestyle. After awhile, the void grows smaller and smaller, and they stop thinking about them so much. Then one day, they have a small donut at some social function and are astounded to discover how disgustingly sweet it is, wondering all the while what the big draw used to be! Anyway, let us know what you decide, and keep us posted.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-01-25, 10:39

Pscates, if it's any consolation, I do have same quirk of insisting for a booth/table that give me a good view, and generally have my back up the wall, just so I know nobody will be standing behind me. Though, I suspect this is driven by necessity.

And, yeah, death to Televisions!

I wonder if anyone else once thought everything, including inaminate objects, had feelings? I remember crying as a kid if I broke something because I thought I hurt it in literal sense, and felt terribly guilty about throwing away old junk, much to my mom's chagrin. I got older and knew better but always wondered if I was only one who did that.
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-01-25, 10:47

Quote:
- yanking my cable (wait...I mean having Comcast discontinue their cable TV service to me...whew)
Classic.

I agree with your sentiments. Akin to your pain, my wife and I are 6 episodes into the first season of Lost and have decided to return it to our "friends" who lent it to us. The screenwriter makes the Alias writer look like Samuel Beckett. Life is too short to watch bad TV/movies.

My weirdness? I'm a kitchen Nazi. I rearrange dishes in the dishwasher (you know there's a right way to put shit in), constantly close cupboards and drawers, can't stand a full drying rack, have 198 herbs and spices, berate my wife, mother and mother-lin-law about flipping stuff in a non-stick pan with a metal fork, it's a long list. Hey, I'm happy to cook every night.

Chinny, you didn't mention your 'thing' with the hair.
Freewell

2007-01-25, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
I wonder if anyone else once thought everything, including inaminate objects, had feelings? I remember crying as a kid if I broke something because I thought I hurt it in literal sense, and felt terribly guilty about throwing away old junk, much to my mom's chagrin. I got older and knew better but always wondered if I was only one who did that.
I had similar thoughts cross my mind as a kid, but then again, I was little Miss hyper-sensitive anyway! As I grew older, I remained very sensitive, particularly when I felt I had hurt or disappointed *someone* (as opposed to something). While it did not cure me of my desire to encourage others and want to make them smile, my time in the military helped tremendously to balance me out in that area, so that I don't walk around so much wearing my heart on my sleeve. Guess you could say it toughened me up, but in a very good way.
Freewell

2007-01-25, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
...Life is too short to watch bad TV/movies. ...
Bingo!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-01-25, 10:55

Quote:
How strange, because I definitely went through a period like that as a kid. I'd break something and it would bother me. Or I'd wrap something too tight (a sleeping bag, etc.) and think "oh, I'm hurting it".

I was little...what did I know?

drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-01-25, 11:14

You know, it's awfully tempting to be an Animist, makes the world a whole lot more fun when you have friends like Mr. Refrigerator Handle and Miss Remote Control Button Number "3" (she's so, so dirty). I also don't mind cold food.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-01-25, 11:27

Thank you, Mr. Poo-Drops, for curing me of any remaining tendency to look at inaminate things as alive and with feeling.
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-01-25, 11:31

I guess there are a few things I do that could be considered weird. (heh heh) Of course I'll only share the ones that won't permanently scar your minds for having read them. In no particular order:

Anything I'm drinking out of has to be perfectly facing me. I'll spend 20 seconds if I have to, lining up the glass so that the label is exactly centered and facing me. If I glance over and notice the space on the left side of the label is a little bigger than the space on the right, I'll carefully fix it. Of course with beer bottles, by the time I have it lined up just right it's time for another drink, so it's kind of an on-going battle. I have no idea why I do this. I do it with most things, actually. Sometimes my wife will ask me what the hell I'm doing and I'll realize I've spent the last minute trying to make sure the fucking ketchup bottle is sitting the right way.

When I make Kraft Dinner, I curse the cheap bastards who fill the cheese powder packets, the fuckers. I make sure I buy this devil food really cheap so that I can make the stuff with adequate cheesiness. I always steal a packet out of a second box and add half of it to the one I'm making. I end up throwing out a few boxes from a case. Damn them for making me waste.

The toilet paper roll in my bathroom HAS to have the paper rolling to the back. If it's not I'll change it immediately. If I accidently put it on the wrong way though, I have to keep it that way until it's used up or I'll have bad luck all day. Every time I go in for a shit I'm reminded of my stupidity and I vow to never again be a dirty front-rolling sonofabitch.

I have to read when I'm having a crap. If my Flying Spaghetti Monster book or Maxim mags aren't around, I'll grab a shampoo bottle from the shower before I sit down. I'm serious.

Beer has to have sat at least 5 minutes in my freezer before I will drink it. It has to be ice cold. Actually most drinks are like this... they have to be either freezing cold or hot as fuck. Coffee and tea have to be scolding or I hate them. When I make strong tea, and the steeping time has made it cool down too much, I'll pop it in the microwave for 15 seconds.

Actually, same with food. Pretty much every night with supper I help get the kid's plates made up, then mine, and I always pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds before eating it. I will not tolerate mere warmness! I demand tongue searing heat!

I am addicted to caller ID. If the thing screws up and I can't see who is calling I'll let it go to voice mail rather than chance a call I don't want to take.

Oh, and on that note, I don't answer my front door. Ever. My parents visited last summer and thought that was the weirdest thing. We have a front door with areas in the glass so you can see out... I'll go to the hallway and look, and if I don't recognize the person I don't answer the door. I don't give a shit if they looked in and saw me standing there. 9 times out of 10 it's someone looking for money or trying to give me a Jehovah pamphlet so they can kiss my ass for all I care, the bastards.

That's all I came up with off the top of my head.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-01-25, 11:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
I have to read when I'm having a crap. If my Flying Spaghetti Monster book or Maxim mags aren't around, I'll grab a shampoo bottle from the shower before I sit down. I'm serious.
Interesting; so I'm not only one who insist on having a reading material for the haul. What about public restrooms? Do you read the gratiffi? (Not that they're quality reading material. )
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-01-25, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
That's all I came up with off the top of my head.
And I believe that's more than enough.

I suddenly feel Extra Special Normal.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2007-01-25, 11:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
Classic.

[...]

Chinny, you didn't mention your 'thing' with the hair.
I am sure that nobody wants to get me started on that one....
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-01-25, 11:57

Quote:
Interesting; so I'm not only one who insist on having a reading material for the haul. What about public restrooms? Do you read the gratiffi? (Not that they're quality reading material. )
Me too. I do exactly as Murbot does - I'll read the Tampax packaging if I have to.
Luckily, in my new house, I've managed to install a bookcase in the bathroom, full of Dilbert, Alphabet of Manliness, FSM Gospel etc.

And yes, I'll definitely read the Graffiti. I even have a bookshelf in my office for when I have to go at work.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-01-25, 11:57

i always tear the label off my beer, usually in one piece

if i drink a soda (kinda rare) i have to twist the pop top to be sideways

i like to sleep with one leg outside the covers, even on cold nights

i ride my scooter to work even on days when it is well below freezing

i sing all the time, and loud, and at like 6 in the morning...my family often wants to kill me for that...i don't notice i'm doing it, just kinda a reflex...too much energy, too happy i guess

i shake my leg all the time i'm sitting...drives my wife crazy....did it as a kid, still do it at 45...burns calories...just a hyper boy at heart...my wife is pissed as i've passed this gene on to both daughters...at dinner the table shakes from us jiggling our legs...suddenly the salt or plates are slowing bouncing across the table and my wife is like: "damnit you hyper little spider monkeys, stop shaking your legs so i can eat in peace" lasts for a couple of minutes and the shaking starts up again

other than that i'm pretty normal

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2007-01-25, 12:12

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewell View Post
I used to do this all the time! Restaurants, gas stations, you name it... But, just like my steadfast habit of getting up and going the first second the alarm clock went off, my husband has 'cured' me of both!
And you both just earned the undying hatred from all the food service employees that have ever served you. Imagine how they feel when they tip out at night and get $2.67 instead of an even $3. This leads to busboy abuse where the servers dump all of their loose change into *his* tip envelopes instead of giving nice crisp bills.

Damn 16 year old memories. Die you stupid pennies, die. Crap, just fell into the animist trap.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-01-25, 12:19

Any other non-dominant hand masturbators out there?