User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

The iPhone SE thread (for 2021 and beyond models)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The iPhone SE thread (for 2021 and beyond models)
Page 2 of 4 Previous 1 [2] 3 4  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-30, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
What’s wrong with the current SE?

Nothing "wrong" with it, but if it's between getting 2020 specs/performance, or waiting a few more months (after six years, it's not a challenge) and getting the newer stuff, same price, I'd rather do that. Especially since I'm not in any sort of emergency/gotta-get-a-phone-ASAP situation.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-30 at 17:17.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-11-30, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
It doesn't have a big enough thing.
Thought we were talking about phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post

Nothing "wrong" with it, but if it's between getting 2020 specs/performance, or waiting a few more months (after six years, it's not a challenge) and getting the newer stuff, same price, I'd rather do that. Especially since I'm not in any sort of emergency/gotta-get-a-phone-ASAP situation.
Ah, right. I guess I was more responding to the final paragraph — that $400 SE does exist, today, and its specs aren't bad. It's basically an iPhone 11 in an iPhone 8's shell.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-30, 18:08

Oh, no...I know all that. If I dropped my iPhone in a mud puddle tonight, I'm over to the AT&T store to get a current SE, absolutely. They're great phones. And if there was no rumored update on the 3-4 month horizon, I'd probably give in and get one before the end of the year (Christmas present to myself). Even the current SE is a four-generation step up from what I've got, and I'd be perfectly happy with the improvement/upgrade in every measurable way.

No, I'm saying I want them to always keep such a phone around for those of us who prefer the price and all. Sorry, probably confusing. I'll be heartbroken if the day comes that Tim & Co. yank the SE. It's the price. I'm comfortable with $399 in a way that I'm just not $699 or whatever. For something I use heavily, every single day, that $399 has been an incredible bang-for-the-buck since April 2016.

I'm happy in whatever form a $399 iPhone SE comes in...iPhone 5s, iPhone 8 and, down the road, a 12/13 mini(?). Do whatever it takes on the camera/display/bells-and-whistles front to keep that $399 pricing as an available option, and it can look like whatever it wants.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-30, 20:35

Apple likely wants to nuke the touch ID/physical home button, can't see much else they would want to change. Only other thing might be, they need to switch chips due to supply shortages?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-30, 21:09

Im kinda with the rumors on this…I think the 2022 update will be under-the-hood stuff (processor, 5G, maybe a camera tweak). It’ll just be an even better buy.

I’ll be stunned - but pleasantly so! - if an affordable full-face model showed up in Q1 2022. In fact, I’d flip out completely (in a good way). But I still bet it’ll look like the current iPhone 8-based model for a bit longer.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-30, 22:18

While a leap from a six-year-old A9 to the same A15 that’s in the iPhone 13 lineup is something nice to think about, I honestly think the storage bump (16GB -> 64GB) is something that will have a bigger impact.

No longer having to be so mindful about what’s on my phone, and how close I am to that 16GB ceiling will probably result in some tangible, day-to-day changes in how I approach pics/video, exploring/installing apps, etc.

I know that sounds silly to all those with 128GB+ iPhones, but when you’ve had just 16GB for over half a decade, you learn to be real tight and careful in what you put/keep in your phone.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-30, 23:29

They’ll likely slap a previous gen chip in there, no way they’ll offer current gen at SE price point.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-01, 02:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
They’ll likely slap a previous gen chip in there, no way they’ll offer current gen at SE price point.
SEs always seem to start with the current chip; they then stick around while it isn’t current any more.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-01, 03:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
But that’s exactly what they’ve done in 2016 and 2020, upon the introduction of the new models.

The original 2016 SE (the one I have) came with the A9 that powered the then-flagship 6s introduced 4-5 months earlier.

In 2020, the current SE debuted in the early part of that year, using the same A13 that was in the then-flagship iPhone 11 lineup that came out in September 2019.

So, on two occasions, the iPhone SE has indeed shared the same processors used in the flagship models introduced a few months earlier in fall of the previous year.

But there are a few things/unknowns in the mix to keep in mind as well:

- The original SE (2016) was discontinued in September 2018, so we didn’t not know what Apple would’ve done with it had it stuck around throughout the remainder of 2018 and all through 2019 and up through the SE 2’s release in 2020.

- The only thing Apple did with the original SE was a capacity bump a year after its release in March 2017. But it kept the same guts (A9, etc.) until it was discotinued in September 2018, two-and-a-half years after its introduction

- The current SE (2020) has seen a slightly different life. In its year-and-a-half existence it has seen no updates/upgrades of any kind. The version available for purchase today is the exact same model (processor, capacities and other specs) that it had on its April 2020 introduction

- So we’ve got precedent on the 2016 and 2020 models sporting the same processors as the then-current flagships introduced the previous fall. But, due to the original model being discontinued after two-and-a-half years (and receiving only a capacity bump one year into its existence) and the current SE receiving no upgrades of any kind a year-and-a-half into its existence, we don’t have any precedent/pattern to go by on what Apple considers a true Rev. B of a particular SE model. We’re flying blind on this…

- if a new SE comes in Q1 2022, still with the iPhone 8 design it currently has, they could very well go with the flagship A15 as the did in 2016 and 2020. However we don’t know what Apple is considering a mid-cycle bump. We’ve never seen one for an SE. I don’t think they’ll leave a two-year-old (which would be three-years-old come September 2022) A13 in it. Precedent says A15, but two years, instead of four) between an update might mean A14.

- The current 2020 SE is already playing out differently in that it’ll have gone two full years, come March 2022, of no updates. Will Apple choose to make up for that and put the A15 n it to give it “legs” for another two years of going untouched? Or will they go with a processor from a year earlier (A14), giving it only a one-generation bump after two entire years? My gut says, due to the length of time it’s gone untouched, it gets the A15. And then nothing else for another couple of years, at which time (spring 2024) maybe a true third-generation full-face model SE is introduced.

- I wouldn’t mind if that became the established, predictable cycle for the SE…released in the spring of an even year, following the previous autumn’s introduction of the flagship line. At the two year mark (2022), it gets a two-generation processor bump. At the four year mark (2024), it gets a redesign, based on the flagship from two cycles prior.

- There already is precedent/pattern for that: The original SE was a 5s (released in fall 2013) with better guts, the 2020 SE was an iPhone 8 (released in fall 2017) with better guts. If that pattern continues/holds, a 2024 third-generation iPhone SE could/should be an iPhone 13 (released in fall 2021), mini or otherwise, with updated, “better” (2023-2024) guts.

Somewhere in all this is a bitchin’ timeline infographic that puts all the above jibber-jabber into a attractive, easily-digested visual.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-01, 20:43

Quote:
Somewhere in all this is a bitchin’ timeline infographic that puts all the above jibber-jabber into a attractive, easily-digested visual.
Did you think I wouldn't?!

Not ideal, and not as fancy as I'd like (I wanted to do a cool timeline graphic like you often see on Wikipedia), but it's been a nutty day...in the space of 11 hours I assembled a catalog and helped put a new roof on a pool pump shed..half the day in front of a MacBook, the other half on a 10-foot ladder.

In any case, just putting in graphic form the stuff I talk about above. I actually think the pattern/precedent kinda established by the iPhone SE is interesting and fun/easy to work off of

In a nutshell:

- A model comes out in the spring time, using the body/design of the flagship phone from two cycles earlier, but using the processor of the then-current flagship

- I didn't realize this until tonight, but if history/precedent remains, and my ideas/predictions for a 2024 iPhone SE (based on the current 5.4" iPhone 13 mini), that shakes out to the display increasing in size by .7" every four years: 4" > 4.7" > 5.4"

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

I can dig it!

- Do note, as the bottom of the graphic states, that all three models are drawn to scale to one another. I drew each simplified model, side by side, at its real-life dimensions (provided by apple.com or MacTracker) and then scaled them down as a group as needed. But those teal screen areas are in relation to each other.

I just like how everything is based on a nice "four"...four years between major updates, using body designs that are four years apart, etc. This is one of those product lines that almost creates/organizes itself...all Apple has to do, every four years, is reach back in time for a three-year-old body design, but give it the same processor as the flagship iPhones sported in spring of 2016, 2020 and (hopefully) 2024. It should be the most no-brainer iPhone they sell.

The third column, I used plenty of question marks to make clear I'm speculating/wishing for those things. As always, about nearly everything, I know nothing.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-08, 11:53

As the only person here (okay, maybe one of 2-3) who gives a legitimate shit about the model, I feel kinda obligated to report on the latest...

I was surprised to see this:

Apple Reportedly Planning to Launch New iPhone SE Models in 2022 and 2023

Sounds a little wobbly, frankly. I could see the first 2022 option, which we're already expecting (this 2023 business is out of nowhere this morning). But why update the current model early next year, just to replace it with something completely different a year later? I'd either let the current SE "languish" another year with the A13 (because that's what they did with the original SE, never updating the guts, other than storage, in its two-and-a-half-years of existence) and then dazzle everyone with a full-face, true third-gen SE in 2023 (if there's any truth/legitimacy to this new rumor).

But I'll take any good SE news! I certainly can't go another year of holding out, so I'll get whatever comes in early 2022.

I love the idea of owning every design/model of the SE. To do so, I'll need to get the updated current model in 2022, nicely setting me up to get a true third-gen model 2-3 years later.

I do wish they'd put the SE on some sort of predictable cycle, even if it's 2-4 years between truly "new", redesigned models (with an under-the-hood processor update at the halfway point?). People buying the flagship iPhones can always make a plan...they can be fairly certain new models are announced every September (that's been the case for how long now?) and that the previous year's model(s) will slide down $100, etc. Easy to make a plan with those models.

The SE is just a big mystery box, all this time, for over five years now. They release one, yank it after two-and-a-half years, come out with a new model out of nowhere in 2020, don't touch it for 18+ months, now rumors of an unheard-of "two models in two years", etc. How in the hell is anyone (okay, me) supposed to know/plan anything with all that craziness?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-08, 13:45

Actually I'm following this too and glad to see something on this. Maybe the 2023 is for the Apple designed modem that is rumored?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-08, 17:18

As flagship prices seem to creep upward, I think more people will find the SE attractive in the years to come. Especially if, as rumored, it goes to a full-face type of design in 2023. I don't know if the regular schmo on the streets knows/cares about 2-3 camera lenses, OLED and blah, blah. I truly don't. In fact, I've never heard anyone outside here and MacRumor's comments/discussion even talk about those things, so I'm pretty sure the regular schmo on the street isn't drawn in by those things. They just like the big, full screen, I'm guessing.

Folks like my mom, Dad, stepmom, sister, most of my friends, etc. would be more than served by a $399 SE...current, or future, design.

But I get it...everyone wants the newest-looking iPhone, so that means one more year (if rumors are true) of the SE in the "cellar" for many buyers. But once that new, true third-generation model hits, I think Apple is going to see a lot of folks "downgrading" to that in the coming years.

A $700+ just isn't feasible or makes sense for most people, I don't care how you break it down or pay for it.

I think the SE will prove to the the sleeper hit and, after 2023, a big draw. Assuming Apple doesn't jack its pricing up to idiotic levels too.
chucker

2021-12-08, 18:01

Quote:
As flagship prices seem to creep upward, I think more people will find the SE attractive in the years to come.
Well, while the maximum price (the max config of the Max, if you will) has gone further up, there's basically an iPhone at every $100 point.

SE for $400, 11 for $500, 12 mini for $600, and then we start getting into the territory of current models, all the way to the 13 Pro Max 1TB at $1600. Which, yeah, pricey, but also a very niche config anyway. (I take more issue with the 13 having been bumped to start at 128, but the 13 Pro not having been bumped to start at 256. Oh well.)

TL;DR: I think your calculation misses the many, many people who just get last year's or two years ago's model.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-08, 18:17

Yeah, I don’t know. I don’t factor in previous year models. Some go for then, some don’t. Point is, the price of the current-era flagship has indeed gone up over the years. On that, I’m right, and that’s all I ever said. People certainly have sub-$700 options, but they’re not the latest, current models.

Some don’t care, but it might be a deal-killer for others.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-08, 18:25

I'm loving my mini. It is the perfect size for me though there are a few times where a larger screen would be nice. I do miss the telephone camera too, but not enough to even remotely think I chose wrong in getting this phone.

If the new SE is this size and at $400 I could easily see that being the next version I buy in a few years. Maybe the mini becomes the SE?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2021-12-08, 18:32

Quote:
Point is, the price of the current-era flagship has indeed gone up over the years.
Certainly.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-08, 18:41

I got the flagships on the original, 4 and 5 and just paid them off over the two-year period and added to my AT&T bill.

But I prefer to just buy the $399 SE outright and only pay for my service at the cheapest price.

Turtle, that's what I'm hoping...a "de-Cadillac'd" 13 mini...LCD, single camera, etc.

EDIT: I just saw this at MacRumors.com:

iPhone 14 Pro Models to Feature Hole-Punch Display

I know it says the 14 Pro model, but if the entire iPhone 14 lineup moved to that new "hole-punch" camera/sensor whole, that means the larger, "old school" iPhone X-13 notch could be another thing that goes on a 2023-and-later SE, further setting it apart from the flagships.

Also worth noting from the above article: Apple is supposedly ditching the 5.4” mini for the 2022 iPhone 14 lineup and offering the standard and Pro lines in 6.1” and 6.7” sizes (iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Max, along with iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, I would assume).

Guess what? That leaves the smaller 5.4” design to be used for a third-generation redesigned SE (2023?) allowing for both a nice step uo from the current 4.7” model, while, more importantly, keeping it well under the two 6”+ flagship sizes. Another differentiator. Makes sense to me.

Hopefully things will play out like my graphic above in the coming 12-24 months. This article above is helping paint that exact picture…the 5.4” “mini” leaves the flagship lineup in September 2022, and reappears in a redesigned SE months later. In that case, people are fine with the smaller size at that affordable price (and that it’s smaller than everything in the 14-and-beyond flagship lineup). Just all makes more sense, across the board: SE = smaller, affordable and the flagships are big and premium-priced.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-09 at 07:43.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-09, 12:34

Holy smokes...after ages of no word/news, yet another iPhone SE-related story out today. I love this, being a model I'm actually interested in and all.

New iPhone SE Inches Closer to Launch as Suppliers Begin Preparing for Shipments

This makes the third story in two days at MacRumors re: an upcoming iPhone SE. Pretty awesome.

Saving my nickels, saving my dimes, can't wait to put my current one back in its box and into the closet...

It's interesting/weird they call it a third-generation SE when everything points to it being the same iPhone 8-based design with just some under-the-hood updates (5G, updated processor). I consider a "generation" jump one that involves a completely new design. Anything else is just revisions on an existing model. I'd call what's coming in early 2022 simply a Rev. B SE.

PS - I know...Digitimes.
chucker

2021-12-09, 15:46

Quote:
EDIT: I just saw this at MacRumors.com:

iPhone 14 Pro Models to Feature Hole-Punch Display
First, they just changed, in the iPhone 13, the notch size. For the first time, too. Why do that if the notch is gone next year?

Second, they’ve introduced the notch to the Mac. They clearly don’t mind adding it to more products.

Lastly, a circular hole? No. If they do do this, it’ll be a pill, or the hole will be a lot bigger than indicated, or they’ll need a combination of that hole and a weirdly fat bezel at the top. A forehead, if you will. Why? Because it’s not just the camera, but other sensors: a microphone, a speaker, various Face ID sensors, etc.

I don’t buy it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-09, 16:00

Who knows. I don’t buy/use those models so I only look at them through the “what could this mean for a future SE” filter.

I, too, wondered how/where the camera, earpiece and various sensors would go in a little round hole. But I didn’t care enough to give it more than about 15-29 seconds of thought.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-09 at 17:13.
chucker

2021-12-09, 16:54

Quote:
But I didn’t care enough to give it more than about 15-29 seconds of thought.
Sounds like you need to join the Prolific Twitterati!

(says the guy with 50k tweets and half a dozen accounts)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-09, 17:13

I wouldn’t last four days on Twitter.

They let you have multiple accounts? Or does it have to be done in the down-low?
chucker

2021-12-09, 17:28

Quote:
I wouldn’t last four days on Twitter.

They let you have multiple accounts? Or does it have to be done in the down-low?
I think they frowned on it for the longest time, but their official app has (partial) support for switching between accounts now, even, including showing little dots for accounts that have new notifications.

They probably realize it's a bit impractical not to. (Consider all those poor people who have a personal account but also professionally run their company's PR account, for example. Which leads to the occasional fun story when someone posts on the wrong account. Oops.)
dgroyals
BANNED
I am a filthy spammer.

2021-12-10, 05:44

dgroyals.com/graphic-design-course-delhib Graphic designing institute in Delhi[/url] Aspirants who want to become successful graphic designers after completing their schooling or college can opt for this course.

Merry Ban-mas, loser!

~ Kscherer

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-12-10 at 11:55.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-10, 06:06

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 09:07

I think he's insulting your mockup skills. Very rude of him since he's a new member.
¡Damned!

2021-12-10, 09:36

"My kids were in Toledo, too"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-10, 09:50

You get it. A fellow Jaws (aka The Greatest Movie That Has Ever Been) nut?

As much as I carry on about Star Wars and other things, Jaws is, and will always be, my favorite movie of all time. It’s just perfect, IMO.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-21, 22:26

Nothing terribly exciting, but another recent story kinda lining up with all the rest.

iPhone SE 3 Reportedly Entering Trial Production Phase With Launch Set for Early 2022

Yay.

Quote:
MyDrivers reports today that trial production, a stage in the supply chain ahead of when the device is mass produced, is set to start soon, according to sources in the upstream supply chain, hinting that the launch of the new iPhone is approaching. The new ‌iPhone SE‌ is reportedly on track to be released in the first quarter of 2022, towards the end of March.

The new third-generation ‌iPhone SE‌ is expected to continue with the same design featuring a physical Home button that includes Touch ID. The screen size is set to remain unchanged at 4.7-inches but will feature a faster A15 chip and improved camera capabilities.

The current ‌iPhone SE‌ starts at $399 and Apple's expected to keep the same price for the upcoming model.
Daddy gets a new iPhone in 2022. He's been exceedingly patient (and cheap) for five-plus years.