User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Microsoft Word is an Appalling Application (Part 8,044,454)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Microsoft Word is an Appalling Application (Part 8,044,454)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Hassan i Sabbah

2006-01-19, 12:08

Just like to report in with news that Word has suddenly decided that there's no such thing as a bad spelling anymore. Yes, even the word 'ananchronsism' is OK by Word all of a sudden now it's decided that it doesn't need dictionaries or nonsense like that any more.

Have I done anything out of the ordinary to make this happen? I have not. Where are my dictionaries? I haven't got a clue. It's not as if they'd be in any sensible place, what with the fact that Office likes to spread itself liberally across your hard drive in all sorts of counter-inuitive places and all, and that the application's interface is purpose-designed to make unravelling its spontaneous decisions to fuck you up next to impossible.

God, I hate Microsoft's application 'Word'. It's really shit, isn't it?

gibberish
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-01-19, 12:13

I've had this happen before. I don't know what I did to cause it or how I fixed it. But, yes, Word is shit.
awilso

Send a message via Yahoo to awilso  
2006-01-19, 12:22

I am the offical bestower of shit registrations for Microsoft products and Word already has 9 shit oscars for the last 9 years since it destroyed WP5.1.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-01-19, 12:24

I only have one thing to say.

NeoOffice 1.2 beta.
Hassan i Sabbah

2006-01-19, 13:07

It's working again. How weird.
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-01-19, 15:58

I like word. It makes me all warm and fuzzy. Plus, in Office 2004, Word does my laundry for me.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-01-19, 16:05

If Word tried to do my laundry, I'd drown it in the washing machine.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-01-19, 16:15

Surely by now you should have realized that Mircosoft like closed standard. In fact, they love it. Maybe even to the point of killing it.

They will deny it, but they secretly want to be "teh dictionary", creator of English language (come on, we have to admit that our cusswords has been riched thanks to their masterpieces), and hold hegemony over all our thought.

So if they want to make up a word, they'll do so. If they decided they don't like it, it's no longer a word.

Oh you didn't know that Word calls home to the mothership? Silly goose.

arnoct

2006-01-19, 17:18

like it or not, word is still miles better than the trainwreck they call openoffice...
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2006-01-19, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Surely by now you should have realized that Mircosoft like closed standard. In fact, they love it. Maybe even to the point of killing it.

They will deny it, but they secretly want to be "teh dictionary", creator of English language (come on, we have to admit that our cusswords has been riched thanks to their masterpieces), and hold hegemony over all our thought.

So if they want to make up a word, they'll do so. If they decided they don't like it, it's no longer a word.

Oh you didn't know that Word calls home to the mothership? Silly goose.

You should have used Word to make that grammatically appealing. And possibly more concise. And it would have gotten rid of that pile of socks.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-01-19, 18:32

Aha, but they abide by their own rules of grammar and prefer their own writing styles.

I am but a victim of Word.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-01-19, 20:13

Until they re-write Word's display engine and its drag and drop layout capabilities, it will continue to blow festering elephant balls. This is aside from all the crazy grammar BS, which I automatically turn off every time I have the chance. Trying to lay things out in Word using tables, shapes, et al is the biggest PITA on earth. They need to either bag anything resembling Page Layout capabilities, or take the ones they got and make them work.

All the auto-margin, auto-spacing, auto-bullet BS drives me crazy when trying to do stuff like this. It's like it just decides for itself where it is going to place things. Unless you're typing straight text or maybe a simple table with no cares about formatting or placement, it's a nightmare.

...into the light of a dark black night.
ZachPruckowski

2006-01-20, 18:23

Word won't do hyperlinks for me. It's bugging the heck out of me. If I type a link, it adds {HYPERLINK "URL"}, but it doesn't make the link or do the usual blue coloring w/ underlines. And I didn't do anything to change this. Grrr.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-01-20, 21:25

Hey don't worry they have updated it for 2006 with nice new icons and contextual menus and stuff... Looks really pretty...

And they have got rid of the paperclip...

Unfortunately there are a few bugs at the moment, and they are not sure of a release date, and you'll have to spend a few days learning the completely new input system (which we all know M$ is really innovative at doing)... and well.. the core engine is the same, and it has a few security flaws...

But the new icons are really nice....

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-01-20, 21:35

So, basically, the new Office is the same as the old Office, but with new eye candy and no more paperclip.

Hmm. Might be worth it for that last part alone.

(For the record: I don't use spellcheckers anymore...I figure that nearly six and a half years of dealing with people in the Navy has burned out any concern I might ever have had about my spelling!)
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2006-01-20, 23:58

Word is the equivalent of having no toilet paper when you are sitting down on the toilet..
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-01-21, 00:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnick4
Word is the equivalent of having no toilet paper when you are sitting down on the toilet..
Actually it's worse... It's like going to the toilet and putting a nail through the tissue when you wipe...
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2006-01-21, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Actually it's worse... It's like going to the toilet and putting a nail through the tissue when you wipe...
lol.. you actually made me cringe when I read that.. eek!

Yeah, that does sound about right.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-01-21, 01:55

I've nothing constructive to add to this thread but I'll feel better for saying this: Word is a complete pile of sh*t and I feel sullied using it. There. Said it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-01-21, 02:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
I only have one thing to say.

NeoOffice 1.2 beta.
Two words to say.... really slow.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-01-21, 09:02

Oh, I'd agree. Except have you tried the latest beta (with the latest patches applied)? It is smoking fast. Well not really, but it seems smoking fast compared to MS Office

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-01-21, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski
Word won't do hyperlinks for me. It's bugging the heck out of me. If I type a link, it adds {HYPERLINK "URL"}, but it doesn't make the link or do the usual blue coloring w/ underlines. And I didn't do anything to change this. Grrr.
Are you crazy? This is probably the most USELESS feature EVER in a program designed to print stuff. I HATE IT when it automatically underlines email addresses. YOU STUPID FUCKING PROGRAM! STOP IT! I'M PRINTING THIS DAMN THING OUT SO A HYPERLINK IS IRRELEVANT!!!

It's inevitable. Then I hit cmd+z to undo and undoes the carriage return or period I just typed. What a pile of horseshit.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-01-21, 10:30

I agree torifile. A word processor should sit back, let you type and DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING unless you tell it to. Hell, that's how computers should work, not just word processing.

That said, I imagine having {HYPERLINK "URL"} added to your text is more annoying than having your text turn blue.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-01-21, 11:13

Okay, all you Word fans MUST try this. Run the WinRG Flash Demo on this page:

http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/WinRG.htm

Go to the Start menu, open Word, and start typing. Make sure your volume isn't all the way down. It put me in stitches!

(Hit Command-W to close it when you're finished by the way.)
awilso

Send a message via Yahoo to awilso  
2006-01-21, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Okay, all you Word fans MUST try this. Run the WinRG Flash Demo on this page:

http://www.deanliou.com/WinRG/WinRG.htm

Go to the Start menu, open Word, and start typing. Make sure your volume isn't all the way down. It put me in stitches!

(Hit Command-W to close it when you're finished by the way.)

Total class - It brought back memories from years ago when I used windows. It was so real!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-21, 14:54

Even more appropriate:

Hey! It looks like you're writing a letter!

Good ol' Clippy. Like Windows RG, this gem has been around for years, but I've never found a larger version.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-01-21, 15:16

^
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-01-21, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
Oh, I'd agree. Except have you tried the latest beta (with the latest patches applied)? It is smoking fast. Well not really, but it seems smoking fast compared to MS Office
I tired it, and its still slow compaired to Office X. (not office 2004, not dishing out that much every few years).
Alex London

2006-01-22, 07:23

Good to see clippy getting his come-uppance, the bugger. Shame that I seem to have zero choice as to whether I use Office or not, my work , and my wifes's job, demands it.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-01-22, 13:06

Glad to know that clippy is going to hell.

I remember one day my partner and I were typing up a lab report for physics. WE were having some problems with typing in right formula for excel cells.

Then the computer froze suddenly, and I was so frustrated, I tried to fix the freeze but no clicks or key combos would fix the problems- then I see in corner, practically unnoticable, the clippy is frantically waving his hand and giving me bug eyed close-up, shouting prepperily, "Would you like me to help you???"

I snapped and pounded the table. That was in a library and everyone practically jumped off their seat and gave me a dirty look while my lab partner couldn't stop laughing his ass off.

To this day, I made it a point to disable clippy.