User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 94 of 103 First Previous 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-05, 13:53

Hmmm...I don't even remember that one, and I thought I remembered/knew all 80's movies.

Virginia Madsen...mmmmm.

Odd connection? Her brother, Michael, was in the opening scene of WarGames, playing the other missile silo crew member who pulled a gun on the other one who took his hand off the key.

It's all connected, baby!
Anonymous Coward

2021-11-05, 16:38

I've never watched a movie on YouTube, so don't know if this is full of advertisements or other interruptions, but I found that Electric Dreams is posted there.

This is a bit older, but is another favorite because, being a former Navy machinist's mate, how often is it that an enlisted person has such a big role in a movie? The Sand Pebbles I used to get confused because the author of the book is Richard McKenna and one of the stars of the movie is Richard Crenna.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-05, 22:48

I was hanging out with my Dad this evening and we watched two movies on Netflix, at opposite ends of the genre/quality scale.

First up, a 2017 low-budget Western called Justice that had some of the most awful, clichéd plotting/dialogue/acting I've ever seen. The only recognizable names were Stephen Lang in a hammy villain role, Jamie-Lynn Sigler (Tony's daughter, Meadow, from The Sopranos) and a bearded Robert Carradine in a smaller role. Oh, and Lesley-Anne Down, for a whole two minutes.

I've literally seen Clint do this very type of movie - a surly loner rides into a town run by shitheads, and proceeds to kill said shitheads after they've Pushed Things Too Far - about 6,300 times in my life. But to see it done so badly was kinda funny/interesting in its own way. And after years of seeing Ms. Sigler play Meadow Soprano with that slight NJ type of accent/voice, it was weird to see her with a slight Southern drawl/purr in 1800's-set cowboy movie.

But it had some beautiful scenery, filmed around Santa Fe, NM...great wide shots of desert, mountains, sunsets, etc. and looked really nice on a 60"+ 4K TV. A (barely) 2-out-of-10 on the WTF Am I Watching?!™ scale.

Second was a 2012 spy/action thriller called Safe House, starring Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds. It also featured Brendan Gleeson, Sam Shepard, Robert Patrick and my sweetie, the lovely and vivacious Vera Farmiga, in supporting roles. It was set, and filmed in/around, Cape Town, South Africa, a place I've never really seen/noticed a movie set before.

The movie was pretty decent, in a Jason Bourne-y kinda way. Nothing I haven't seen before, but Washington and Reynolds were good in their parts, as were the others above. One of those spy/CIA movies where, 20 minutes in, you truly have no idea who/what to believe or trust...who's crossing who, who's working for which side, who's gonna turn out to be a traitor/backstabber, etc. But some nice action sequences, both on the fighting/gunplay front and chases (in cars and on foot). And some nice locations/scenery as well, throughout.

A solid 6-out-of-10 on the popcorn scale. It wasn't the absolute waste of 90-minutes that Justice was, that's for sure!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-05 at 23:17.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-17, 10:01

New Spider-Man trailer now out, confirming the presence/involvement of various villains from other installments.

Frankly it looks like an overwrought, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink headache-and-a-half and fan-service orgy...but since when has that impacted a movie's success (especially in this genre)?

I think, right or wrong, I just have it hardwired into me that once you jump into the time travel and/or "alternate/multiple universes" thing (I know that's been part of the comics), that you're just kinda out of ideas or you need a quick, easy way to explain (or undo) any complex messes you've gotten into on the writing/creativity front. They're my two least favorite tropes/devices in movies/storytelling, honestly. So my interest in sitting through such a thing, even for the nostalgia rush, is less than zero.

And that DC and that upcoming Flash movie are doing the exact same thing...well. Okay, whatever...

"We can fix all this by having him go back in time and..." or "well, you see, there are multiple worlds all existing, independent of one another, and so...".

Yeah, I'm good...spare me. Not a fan of this kind of stuff, on a good day. It's a (lazy) "finger-snap", at best. At worst, a bit of a cynical "let's do a 'greatest hits' thing and really pull the neckbeards in!" tactic.

I'd rather sit through the most Kate Hudson-y/Reese Witherspoon-y of rom-com chick-flicks than to try and endure/make sense of the above.

But it'll no doubt make gazillions! Right now, I think Spider-Man (along with those Disney+ shows) is holding that stuff together, and a legitimate tie back to the "glory years" of the MCU. People will watch, in large numbers, just from that angle alone, IMO. The Stark stuff is going to loom large for some time to come, so that's good (you see a brief glimpse of Favreau's Happy Hogan in the above trailer, so you know it's all still part of that world...as it should be).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-17 at 10:17.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-17, 10:23

Yeah, if you watch the "What If...?" series you would feel right at home with No Way Home.

On the one hand I will appreciate seeing some of the old characters back in the new version, but not because I really care as much as I enjoy most good action flicks. Ok, even mediocre ones.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-17, 16:04

I had Wonder Woman 1984 on in the background today as I worked. It’s been a year since I saw it and I just wanted to make sure it was as goofy as I remember.

Yep.

My big takeaway is that women (Patty Jenkins, Gal Gadot, etc.) can put out a loud, overstuffed and incoherent movie every bit as much as any male filmmaker/actors.

Congrats?

Equality! It may not always come in the form you hope for.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-17, 16:23

Except that women get to yell, "It bombed because men don't like female-led action movies!"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-17, 16:38

No, just the stupid ones (movies).

Ellen Ripley and The Bride are two of my favorites. I enjoyed Linda Hamilton in those first two Terminator movies, Scarlett Johansson in Lucy, I watch Salt any time it's on. Those silly Underworld movies are fun to watch too, as is Atomic Blonde.

Some people just want to throw out an easy, lazy excuse/reason - and stir up their buddies/followers - when they have nothing else to offer or counter with. It helps when the movie isn't a poorly-written hunk-of-shit.

Wonder Woman 1984 is. Isn't my fault.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-17 at 17:20.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-11-17, 17:25

Gadot has done amazing work as Wonder Woman. Pine was also good in the first film. I haven't seen 1984 (largely because I heard it wasn't worth the theatre trip) but from the reviews I've seen, its problems seem to stem from the script and the director, not the acting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-17, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
No, just the stupid ones (movies).

Ellen Ripley and The Bride are two of my favorites. I enjoyed Linda Hamilton in those first two Terminator movies, Scarlett Johansson in Lucy, I watch Salt any time it's on. Those silly Underworld movies are fun to watch too, as is Atomic Blonde.

Some people just want to throw out an easy, lazy excuse/reason - and stir up their buddies/followers - when they have nothing else to offer or counter with. It helps when the movie isn't a poorly-written hunk-of-shit.

Wonder Woman 1984 is. Isn't my fault.
You're a misogynist.

See how I did that? You no longer have an argument, and nothing you say matters, because you're a man and you can't do or say anything to prove your point. You hate strong women because they make you feel inferior. WW84 was a beautiful movie that only did poorly because white men like you are intimidated by strong female leads. Leia and Ripley weren't strong, they were weak, and I can prove it because men love them and those movies did really, really well!

So, stop arguing or I'll call you a different name, like "racist" or something.

Get with he woke-gram, would you!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Gadot has done amazing work as Wonder Woman. Pine was also good in the first film. I haven't seen 1984 (largely because I heard it wasn't worth the theatre trip) but from the reviews I've seen, its problems seem to stem from the script and the director, not the acting.
I saw the first one and thought it was crap.

The writer's saw fit to make her "strong" by giving her super powers. Otherwise, what does she have (boobs aside)?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-11-17, 17:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I saw the first one and thought it was crap.
Let's take a breath and a step back and remember that we are talking about a DC franchise-origin movie.

So as an origin story, it should be compared to Man of Steel and Green Lantern. So it's glorious.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-17, 17:40

Quote:
Let's take a breath and a step back and remember that we are talking about a DC franchise-origin movie.

So as an origin story, it should be compared to Man of Steel and Green Lantern. So it's glorious.
Man of Steel was horrible, and I haven't seen Green Lantern because all of the other DC "origin" movies I've seen have been horrible. The original Super Man was way better than Man of Steel; Batman has been re-origined so many times I don't even know what to think; Wonder Woman was ick; Aquaman was possibly the worst comic-movie I've ever seen. It's just all garbage, and I no longer give them any of my precious attention.

Can't convince me otherwise, so don't bother trying. IMHO, they were terrible.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-17, 17:45

Quote:
I liked the first one too. It was enjoyable in the same way that first Captain America movie was (I'm a sucker for anything set in the first half of the 20th century). I've never had a bad thing to say about that 2017 release, and it had some nice moments. We're talking strictly about that sequel that came out last year (which had none, it was just a silliness parade).

And I never beat up on the acting, outright, on 1984. It very much is a writing/story/plot thing, and Gadot, Pine, Wiig and Pascal probably did the best with what they had to work with (convoluted silliness). None of them are bad actors. It was just a stupid movie.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-17, 17:49

Quote:

My niece's third-grade class play - where she played a barnyard animal - was an award-winning performance compared to both Man of Steel and Green Lantern. That's not saying much.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-23, 16:03

Reviews for Lady Gaga’s latest are coming in. They’re not too kind. Uh-oh.

Seems the accents are a big sticking point with some critics/reviewers.

It’s always something, huh? Apparently Gaga and Pacino aren’t Italian Enough™? News to me.

I kinda thought it was an amped-up, broad black comedy - like Knives Out or something along those lines - from the trailers. At little bit stylized and over-the-top. But there may be sliding sets of rules that govern just how broadly or comedically you portray something/someone, based on the type of movie it's supposed to be? A straight-up farce vs. your more Oscar bait type of flicks? Hell if I know.

I don’t even want to imagine the number of boxes that require checking before a modern motion picture undertakes production. And even then, it won't be enough.

I'd still like to see it; WTF do I know about Italian accents?

But maybe at home; gone, my multiplex days are.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-23 at 17:22.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-24, 08:43

DC League of Super-Pets is coming. When I first heard about it I scoffed and shook my head. The trailer though, I have to say, I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing this one.

I love (present tense, don't judge) Secret Life of Pets 2 and this is right inline with it but with comical ties to their human superhero counterparts. It is also being shown in the trailer as being vibrant and colorful more like the original comics vs dark and ominous.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-24, 09:00

I would’ve never guessed/predicted that in 400 years.

I remember having a few comics as a kid where there was a white Super Dog, looking very close to the one in the trailer I thought it was cute that he wore a little cape.

This looks better than Justice League. I’m not sure what says, but there you go.

“Guys, I think it’s pretty clear at this point that we simply can’t make a go of things with our A-team roster of DC’s most popular, beloved characters. And, no…I don’t know why either. So how about we just do some animal cartoons instead?”

- Actual meeting at WB conference room

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-24, 11:59

And now you know why I checked out of the whole DC thing.

The way people are with their dogs these days, I suspect this will get a lot of traction. Some people would rather see animals succeed than humanity, so …

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-24, 12:23

I do, at this point.

Seriously, had you told me 10 years ago that WB/DC were going to bring all their top-tier, big-name superheroes together on the big screen, as Marvel did, and then spectacularly botch it nine ways to Sunday, head to toe, I would’ve laughed you out of the room.

“How can anyone mess up Superman, Batman, Wonder, Flash and the others all appearing as live action on the big screen for the first time ever?! No way…”

Damned if they didn’t figure out a way.

Minus about 30-45 minutes of that first WW movie, I’ve never seen such unwatchable, big-budget fare (at least until Disney/Lucasfilm popped up…”hold my lightsaber”).

Congrats all around!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-12-09, 23:05

The New Yorker has selected Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch as best movie of the year.

I mean, of course they did.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-09, 23:39

yes it's required

I mean, dude makes pretty remarkable pictures.

I've been on a 70s kick recently - chiefly films featuring scenes in big cities like New York. I marvel at the storefront signage, the wardrobe, the unsophisticated camera moves. That concentration of imagery transports me back to a time when my parents were in their prime.

Marathon Man was riveting. Dustin Hoffman overacted his ass off. This is the film where Olivier is reported to have suggested that Hoffman simply try acting instead of staying up for days and not bathing.

The Parallax View was interesting, but a badly focused thriller. That genre has improved tremendously since that shot this movie.

Freebie and the Bean was an oddly-paced buddy film. A decade or so later you could see better banter in a Lethal Weapon film, but you have to start somewhere.

Gene Hackman is pretty good in The Conversation, an intriguing slow burn movie featuring professional wiretappers. Surprised by a performance by a young Harrison Ford.

Link for some suggestions:
https://www2.bfi.org.uk/thriller/100-thrillers-see-before-you-die/1970s

Last edited by drewprops : 2021-12-10 at 00:02.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-10, 02:43

My three favorites from that period/setting (70’s NYC):

- Dog Day Afternoon
- The French Connection
- Serpico

Two Als and a Gene…how can you go wrong?!

Watch ‘em if you haven’t, watch ‘em again if you have.

“Is it safe?”
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-10, 06:25

I watched French Connection several months ago and it's one of the best. I love the scenes that were shot "raw", with a camera guy thrown into a car shooting whatever they could get before they lose the light. The filmmakers of that era had escaped the studio lots and were adapting to capturing footage in places where they might only have one shot at capturing the scene. They probably stole a lot of footage (shot without a license from the city), so they had to be in and out. The car chase is epic.

Found out that The Marathon Man didn't have the same rough photography as French Connection because it was one of the very first films to employ the brand new Steadicam platform (and the first feature to market).

Freebie and the Bean had some insane driving. The bulk of automobiles from the 70s made me cringe at the danger of some of the stunt work.

I don't know if I can recommend The Parallax View. It has a great premise of a deep deep conspiracy that Warren Beatty must untangle, some pretty good scenes filled with tension, and some crazy stunts.

What many films from this era lack is a strong narrative. They expect you to piece it together. The pacing of many feel too loose. The music stands along beside the action but were not scored to accentuate a final cut, something that we take for granted in big blockbusters today. It's expensive but it elevates a film to that next level.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-10, 09:05

The car chase in The French Connection gets all the attention/acclaim, and rightly so, but that sequence where Doyle is tailing “the frog” on foot is my favorite. And realizing, at the orange juice stand, that Charnier is on to him, is great. That scene always makes me crave OJ in a little paper cup!

But that scene where Charnier and his associate are eating a nice meal in that restaurant while Doyle is standing across the street, freezing and drinking coffee, I just love all that. Yeah, here’s your glamorous police work…freezing to death while eating a slice of pizza while your quarry, a major drug trafficker, sits inside a warm restaurant and eating like a king. That scene also makes me hungry. Whatever Charnier and his buddy are eating, I’ll have the same!

That whole surveillance/tailing sequence is my favorite.

Also, the 70’s - both movies and TV - were absolutely crazy about people shooting rifles from rooftops! That was such a trope and go-to move. This movie, Dirty Harry and dozens of others. And I know I saw it a dozen times, at least, on Baretta, Starsky & Hutch, etc.

Everyone always talks about the 70’s being defined by gas shortages, Vietnam and Watergate. I say you have to toss in “assholes with rifles on city rooftops picking off random strangers” to that as well.

Oh, and was anyone a non-smoker back then?!? That’s the most cigarette-happy bunch of people I’ve ever seen.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Funny (and happy) how that part of the culture has changed over the past 3-4 decades. I remember, as a kid, walking into Kmart with my mom and grandma (they never smoked) and just seeing/smelling it from everyone else. You’d go to Pizza Hut or The Sizzler for dinner, and even if you requested “non-smoking” that velvet rope or signage that divided the two sections surprisingly did very little to keep the smoke from going wherever it wanted anyway.

The entire joint - like airplanes, grocery stores, the DMV, ballgames, etc. - was the smoking section back then! If there’s anything to that whole “second-hand smoke” stuff, how I’m still alive is nothing short of a miracle. I must’ve smoked 200 packs by the time I was 12…and I’ve never touched a cigarette.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-12-10 at 09:19.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-12-13, 11:17

I'm not a big moviegoer, but this one looks like incredible fun.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-13, 20:22

Another trailer for The Batman, this one from somewhere overseas...is that Japanese writing?.

If they're not careful, we may wind up seeing the entire movie before March gets here.

I care next-to-nothing about this, except for that very final scene.

Who is that in the orange/white striped prison (asylum?) suit?

I know they can edit/dub things to make them appear however, but that laugh...

Surely they don't give away something that huge in a silly trailer.

I'm just going to assume it's Paul Dano's Riddler character.

I still think it looks as bleak and morose as anything I've ever seen. It looks like Se7en, with some people wearing capes and stuff. I've already seen Se7en.

I'm curious about it all, but I fully admit...I'm not $11+-curious (and second mortgage for a Sprite/Twizzlers curious), and this looks to be the first Batman movie since 1989 that I've not seen in the theater, and on opening weekend (or opening night in the case of Batman Returns, Batman Forever or advance Thursday midnight screenings on Batman Begins and The Dark Knight).

I'll just have to steer clear of the Internet that weekend due to all the idiot reviewers and so-called journalists who don't know how to handle/approach spoilers, and put them in their headlines the day the damn thing opens.

PS - If you elect me President, I'll give those people the chair. My first, and only, executive order. And then I'll resign the next day.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-13, 21:01

Shouldn’t the next Batman be the anti-Nolan? Batman Begins was great, but they did that. The next one should be less gritty and more comedy again.
¡Damned!

2021-12-14, 09:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Who is that in the orange/white striped prison (asylum?) suit?

I know they can edit/dub things to make them appear however, but that laugh...

Surely they don't give away something that huge in a silly trailer.
I gotta believe that that's Dano's Riddler still - it sounds like the same voice. There was some rumor that Joker might be in this (played by the kid from The Killing of a Sacred Deer) but I really haven't been paying as much attention as I should with this one.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-14, 09:44

I think they’re deliberately trying to paint that picture. But I bet the laugh is from another part of the movie. There’s no guarantee that Batman taking his cowl off is even part of that scene. Trailers can be edited to make things look a certain way and you go see the movie and realize “that wasn’t even how it played out!”

It is weird that, as far as I know, we haven’t seen Dani’s Riddler yet. His face. Are they trying to keep that green bandit mask and derby a secret?

Or does he have some crazy scar or disfigurement (shape of a “?”) they’re wanting to keep under wraps?

Reading those comments on YouTube, the ‘beards are already proclaiming this the greatest movie ever, Pattinson deserves an Oscar, etc. They always get like that over these things. They see a few trailers and just go overboard with the praise and fawning. You don’t even see/hear any acting from Pattinson (or anyone, really), so it’s just funny, how keyed up and hyperbolic they get with their commentary.

“Best comic book movie EVER. Fact.”

You don’t know what the word “fact” means, dork.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-15, 09:10

The early, spoiler-free reviews from the latest Spider-Man movie are hitting, and most seem pretty positive. They're not giving away the stuff most of us have already figured out/assumed, but, since the trailers clearly show the involvement of some past villains from the other versions, these reviews talk about what good work Alfred Molina, Willem Dafoe and Jamie Foxx do. I wouldn't expect anything less.

Two of the reviews mention "sad" and how folks will "tear up", so that's kinda interesting/odd. I guess some characters are gonna bite it.

Speaking of biting it, I'm assuming James Franco won't be putting in an appearance? Isn't he currently spending some time on persona non grata/canceled roster? Maybe he and Kevin Spacey can get together and wonder where things went sideways?

Right or wrong, my interest/following of all this stuff kinda died when Tony did. Much like Jeopardy, post-Alex, I just can't find the interest/desire to watch, after End Game nicely wrapped up everything I started following/watching way back in 2008. I just don't really care about the other stuff...the A-team has spoken (and left the building). But I do think Tom Holland has been the best, most believable/true-to-comics take on Spider-Man of them all, and I did enjoy him in those Avengers movies and that first solo outing, Homecoming.

He's just 25, so he'll have a nice career, I'm betting, if he makes sure to include other things well beyond Marvel/this character.

Anyway, the movie is opening this Friday, with those advance Thursday early screenings already selling out in many places. I'm still not convinced now is the time for 300+ strangers to go sit shoulder-to-shoulder inside a movie theater for two-plus hours, but I've given up trying to wish this stuff away or make sense of it. I won't be going (see above), but it's been exactly two years (December 2019, seeing you-know-what) since I've set foot inside a multiplex anyway (and COVID had absolutely nothing to do with it; that's all been 100% Hollywood's fault), so...