User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

a site to help our forum's geeky members...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
a site to help our forum's geeky members...
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-01-26, 11:36

be they geeky white guys, geeky asian guys, geeky hispanic, geeky middle eastern, heck even geeky African members could make use of this site:

http://www.sixtiescity.com/Culture/dance.shtm

the thing is geeks of all races and cultures share a common geneic code that has disabled the "dance" gene...and believe me, you wanna get laid? learn how to dance...simple as that

so go my rhythmically challenged brothers and learn some 60's dance steps and then...well just name the little ones "g" for me

g

ps, in college i had a minor in dance...so i A) don't have your gene problem B) can atest to the fact that the ability to dance gets you action...sweet sweet action

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-01-26, 11:44

See, those dances are COOL. I can hang with those! I love watching people dance like that.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-01-26, 12:32

The wife & I did the twist as our wedding dance. Definitely surprised many people, since usually people do one of those crotch-grind slow dances. I love watching good dancers do their thing. It's really amazing to me how fluid the movements of good dancers can be.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-01-26, 13:09

yeah, in my kids preteen years (like 8 through 11) we took them to swing dance clubs...they loved it, and i loved being able to throw them all over the place...we did some amazing flips and such...helped that they weighed 75 pounds...but we danced as well as anybody there...the kids would practice and have new moves ready for the next weeks dance

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Wrao
Yarp

2007-01-26, 13:16

Feh. At 6'4 it doesn't matter how graceful I am.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2007-01-26, 14:48

i like dancing especially to Rocksteady and Ska.....

i freaking despise todays top 40 shit-hop type dancing.... doing a two-step when you only move your feet one or two inches if at all which each step is not dancing.... that's called posting....

if you're gonna dance, then dance but if you are just gonna rock back and force or two step, then stop taking up space.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-01-26, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby View Post

i freaking despise todays top 40 shit-hop type dancing.... doing a two-step when you only move your feet one or two inches if at all which each step is not dancing.... that's called posting....
You would love most high school dances then Everyone just uses the distorted hip hop blaring louder than a jet engine as an excuse to grind on that chick in your math class. No real dancing, just grinding, posting, etc. I'm guilty of it too though Maybe this is unique to my school?
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2007-01-26, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
Maybe this is unique to my school?
Not in the least.

The first high school dance I went to, I didn't really know what to expect, and was kinda freaked out by the massive sweaty orgy in the unlit gym... I soon learned how things worked. :]

Edit: WLP, does your school also have massive grinding chains? It's a little disconcerting to turn around and see some fruity guy riding your ass, when the entire time you thought it was just a skinny girl with a cell phone in her front pocket...

You ask me for a hamburger.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-01-26, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby View Post
i like dancing especially to Rocksteady and Ska.....

if you're gonna dance, then dance but if you are just gonna rock back and force or two step, then stop taking up space.
Come on man. You have no reason to be angry with other people and their dance styles. It is all dancing as long as they are moving in time with music.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-01-26, 23:29

Quote:
You would love most high school dances then Everyone just uses the distorted hip hop blaring louder than a jet engine as an excuse to grind on that chick in your math class. No real dancing, just grinding, posting, etc. I'm guilty of it too though Maybe this is unique to my school?
Houston schools are unique in that they play country music at their dances. That was a weird bit of culture shock in moving here.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2007-01-26, 23:56

[Johnny Bravo ] Hummpphhh. Do the Monkey with me. [/Johnny Bravo]

World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-01-27, 02:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post
Not in the least.

The first high school dance I went to, I didn't really know what to expect, and was kinda freaked out by the massive sweaty orgy in the unlit gym... I soon learned how things worked. :]
It wasn't so bad when I go with a girl, but often her friends will start front-backing you until you need to escape into the fresher air. Then you realize you are too far in to escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Edit: WLP, does your school also have massive grinding chains? It's a little disconcerting to turn around and see some fruity guy riding your ass, when the entire time you thought it was just a skinny girl with a cell phone in her front pocket...
We have more big groups of tightly packed grinders, the type where there are many different grinding angles. Also we have the mosh pits and sometimes mass pandemonium. I usually don't have guys riding me, but chicks with cell phones in their pockets actually do hurt a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Houston schools are unique in that they play country music at their dances. That was a weird bit of culture shock in moving here.
That sucks. My cousin goes to a rural high school and they apparently square dance and shit like that. I hate country music, so I feel you pain. Luckily my school is cool enough (for a kansas school) to stay far away from that stuff.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2007-01-27, 03:26

billybobsky... i;m not talking about the people who actually bust a move... i'm talking about those who kinda of teeter or waver back and force and just take up space.....

dance or dance not, there is no try
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-01-27, 12:12

Quote:
That sucks. My cousin goes to a rural high school and they apparently square dance and shit like that. I hate country music, so I feel you pain. Luckily my school is cool enough (for a kansas school) to stay far away from that stuff.
The weirder part is when people actually try to grind to country music. It's bad enough when it's done to rap, but when it's done to country...

I always stay on the edge of the cafeteria dance floor to avoid the grinders, regardless of what genre is playing.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-27, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Country music?

Wow. That is so... just... wow.

Are you saying that's *all* they play???

*shiver*
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-27, 13:31

I *LOVE* to dance.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-27, 13:38

I heard a discussion on a radio talk show a few months back where they were talking about banning sexually-explicit dancing at school dances.

Has that issue arisen at your high schools at all? Just wondering.

Do your dances have parents as chaperones, or only teachers?
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-01-27, 14:04

Quote:
The weirder part is when people actually try to grind to country music.
Whaaa? How?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
I heard a discussion on a radio talk show a few months back where they were talking about banning sexually-explicit dancing at school dances.

Has that issue arisen at your high schools at all? Just wondering.

Do your dances have parents as chaperones, or only teachers?
It is a pretty big issue at my school, since lots of parents hate the type of songs/"dancing" that occur at dances. I could see where they are coming from, but it will be very hard to convince the students of that. At a dance this fall (we really only have like 3 non-formal dances a year) the DJ had to stop playing some music because the parent chaperones were complaining, so about 100 of us went out to the parking lot and danced out there. It was much more fun anyway, and it wasn't like anyone was dancing any dirtier even though there weren't any supervisors.
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-01-27, 14:28

Hey, hey! What's this I see? I thought this was a party. LET'S DANCE!

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-27, 14:34

Quote:
...the DJ had to stop playing some music because the parent chaperones were complaining...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj View Post

Hey, hey! What's this I see? I thought this was a party. LET'S DANCE!
I guess 'some' things never change, huh?

Reminds me of the obstetrician father in 'Ten Things I Hate About You' who made his daughter wear the 'pregnant belly' for 30 minutes a day.
Freewell

2007-01-27, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I *LOVE* to dance.
Couldn't have said it better myself!! Two words: Swing and Cha-Cha... Or anything that can easily be infused with 'fun' and 'sassy'! I absolutely love it!! Sadly, I don't really ever get the opportunity to enjoy these, as there is only one person on the planet I care to dance with, and well, let's just say it's people like him who inspire such thread/conversation topics as this!

No biggie... I simply console myself believing that someday he'll find that deep-rooted love for dance, and we'll tear up the dance floor together! (Hey, a girl can dream!! And even if it never happens, he sooo far exceeds anything I ever dreamed of in every other way that dance becomes irrelevant!)
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-01-27, 15:33

Quote:
Country music?

Wow. That is so... just... wow.

Are you saying that's *all* they play???

*shiver*
It's not all they play, at the Homecoming dance they also had AC/DC and a few pop songs, but country definitely fills up most of their playlist, which is surprising given that most of the students don't like country.

At the first dance of the year, an informal thing in the back parking lot after a football game, they played what would be considered dance music (by teenagers, anyways) but apparently received complaints from parents about it, since dance music for teenagers is essentially rap/hip-hop.

I don't know what those parents were worried about, since no one was grinding at that dance anyways.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-01-27, 18:01

Quote:
It's not all they play, at the Homecoming dance they also had AC/DC and a few pop songs, but country definitely fills up most of their playlist, which is surprising given that most of the students don't like country.
The dance committee really needs to get assertive about the kind of music played at dances, esp. if most of the students don't like country.

Quote:
At the first dance of the year, an informal thing in the back parking lot after a football game, they played what would be considered dance music (by teenagers, anyways) but apparently received complaints from parents about it, since dance music for teenagers is essentially rap/hip-hop.
Those parents need to go find something to occupy their time, instead of being such interfering busybodies in the lives of their kids. Sheesh!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-01-27, 21:34

Quote:
The dance committee really needs to get assertive about the kind of music played at dances, esp. if most of the students don't like country.
We only have three dances a year, so they administration probably doesn't think it's worth their time. Besides, the vocal part of the student body actual enjoys country. For the rest of us, it's not too much fun.

And the next dance is Saddie Hawkins.

*shudders*

I don't even want to *imagine* that playlist!
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-01-28, 00:33

Quote:

Those parents need to go find something to occupy their time, instead of being such interfering busybodies in the lives of their kids. Sheesh!
Thank you!

We usually play hip hop, but half the time it is actual dance music, like Basshunter!
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2007-01-28, 11:45

Quote:
We usually play hip hop, but half the time it is actual dance music, like Basshunter!
Do you know if a translation exists for their really popular song? No idea what it's called...

Edit: never mind, I found subtitled videos... they're freakin' hawt.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2007-01-28 at 13:27.