Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 13
Page 4 of 7 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  Next Thread Tools
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-09-24, 14:26

I just got my 13 mini as well.

Definitely small and reminds me very much of the iPhone X. Seems like a good size and it'll be exactly what I was looking for.

Even it if really is the last mini, I'll enjoy this one.

Only problem now is that it's taking 2 hours to transfer my data from my 12 Pro.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-09-24, 14:29

Got my 13 Pro this morning. Will probably wait until tomorrow to set it up because of taking so long to transfer everything.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-25, 12:26

The migrations for Mrs T sucked for me. It was all me, but they still sucked.

I went to make a backup of her phone using Finder. I selected "Backup All Data" and then checked the box to encrypt. Entered the password and then it proceeded to make the backup... after it defaulted back to "Backup Important" stuff. So I ended up having to delete everything and start over. +200GB of stuff. Took forever to migrate her phone.

Her Watch didn't "just work" either. I had to manually unpair it from her old phone and then add it to the new phone. I'm glad it was me doing it and not her. She would have been so frustrated about the whole process.

The iPad was no different. I didn't catch that it did the same defaulting so I just let it do the basics and manually did the passwords and stuff as needed. She lost some apps. but they were worthless and unused anyway. This actually helped her clean house.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-25, 13:00

I am terrified that I won't be able to migrate my 7 Plus data through my (low) Sierra platformed MacBook Pro to a new phone. Any advice?

Signed,
Terrified in Toledo
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-25, 13:41

Don't do it through the computer unless you need to. Just do the iCloud migration and simplify your life. Right before your new phone comes in back it up to iCloud (free for the full devices capacity for 21 days even if you aren't paying for iCloud storage) so that when your new device is in you can set it up and restore from the iCloud backup. The hardest part of that method is waiting for all the apps to download. You also have to reenter your passwords and such. I didn't want this route because it made it that much harder for Mrs T. I wanted her to just user her new phone like she did the old one.

In the end it worked like that from her perspective. I took her old phone and said you can't have it anymore. Put it in Airplane mode, turned off bluetooth and wired it to her MBP. Backed it up. Took the new phone (after doing the update) and restored the backup via the MBP wire connected. Moved the SIM from the old phone to the new one once the restore completed. So she waited a few hours without a phone and is now using the new one like she did the old one.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-25, 19:11

Will a cloud backup preserve text messages?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-25, 19:17

I assume so. I enabled my messages to store/sync via iCloud so I don't know if you don't have that enabled how it works. If you keep your old phone you could always fall back to the Finder method. I'm near positive the Wifi direct connect method does though.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-26, 08:46

I switched it on and the progress bar is taking long enough to transfer data that I almost believe that all of that data WILL be carried over to the new machine.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-26, 12:28

Let us know how it works out for you. I'm curious.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-30, 15:33

I may or may not have ordered a red mini.

I got to hold one yesterday and love the size of this thing!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-09-30, 21:01

I love my mini so far.

It's the perfect device for me at this point. I have all of my bigger devices at home that I can use, like the iMac, MBP, or iPad Pro.

Going out, I don't need such a big phone, so this works out so well. I haven't even really felt it during my walks with the dogs and it fits so much easier into my pockets.

I really hope they keep this thing around.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-01, 07:18

So yesterday I did order the red 256GB mini from the Veteran's Apple store and got the extra 10% off and was able to pick it up at my "local" (more than thirty minutes away) store and pick it up last night. I did the direct phone to phone over wifi migration and while it took a while it was so much easier than the iTunes/Finder method.

I love this phone. It is the perfect size, almost. I still need reachability on this thing to hit the top right corner. I'm a lefty. I am not going to put a case on it either. If I did you wouldn't get to see the red and I love this red!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-01, 08:15

As long as Apple insists on making colored iPhones (we all know my thinking on that), I'm surprised that the clear/transparent case market - including from Apple themselves, across all, not just some, of their models - isn't stronger or more prominent.

I've never wanted to put such a nice-looking device in an opaque case, especially one of the gaudier variants out there. I've seen some awful-looking iPhone cases over the years.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-01, 08:23

For my previous phones I used clear cases actually. I mean, I always had the black/slate/whatever they named the "black" phone so it wasn't a big deal.

The biggest reason I'm not going to do a case for this one is the camera bump is so prominent. It is about a third of the depth of the phone itself. That would be a lot of "extra material" on the back of the case to level it out. Plus, with MagSafe we now have those ugly rings being visible in the cases. That just makes the phone look ugly IMO.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-01, 08:43

I've never seen an attractive iPhone case, so yeah. They're all a bit ugly in their own, special way. Some only slightly less so. That's the best you can hope for, really.

"It doesn't make me want to vomit or roll my eyes too much...".

I harbor a special disdain for those Otterbox monstrosities. I guess if I were a construction worker (and constantly getting into fistfights or car wrecks), coal miner or air show wing-walker that might be the case to have, but man... *shudder*
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-01, 08:57

YES!!!

I had a destruction proof case at one point for my 5s and I hated it. Made the phone so big. Hard to get in and out of my pocket.

I finally moved to the clear and minimal cases when I went to the Xs. They saved me a few times.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-01, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I've never seen an attractive iPhone case, so yeah. They're all a bit ugly in their own, special way. Some only slightly less so. That's the best you can hope for, really.

"It doesn't make me want to vomit or roll my eyes too much...".

I harbor a special disdain for those Otterbox monstrosities. I guess if I were a construction worker (and constantly getting into fistfights or car wrecks), coal miner or air show wing-walker that might be the case to have, but man... *shudder*
I use one of those evil Otterbox cases, because they are the only ones that have plugs for the lightning port, to keep lint, dirt and water out. Not in construction, thankfully, but I would have to buy a new phone a few times a year without this thing on my phone. Not so much from drops, but I do drop it once and while, but from impact on the pocket my phone is in. I’m sure the back glass would have been broken a few times for sure.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-01, 17:55

They do the job, no doubt. My sister and her husband are big fans.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-10-01, 21:49

Team no case
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-01, 23:43

Okay.

So a friend suggested (perhaps perversely) that I wait until Black Friday to get a deal from AT&T on a new iPhone 13.

So I just looked up Black Friday deals from LAST year for that carrier and didn't really see anything that stands out.

ARE there going to be standalone sales or will they attempt to bundle the phone with an additional line?

ANYBODY got a clue?

Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-02, 14:54

If you are moving to AT&T or do a trade in then you can get the phone "for free" after 30 months. Basically they pay the monthly cost to buy the phone over installments. It isn't a contract but if you leave or change phones they stop paying and you have to pay the difference. That is about as good as you're going to get based on the last year or so that I've seen with AT&T.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-03, 23:06

Took the plunge. iPhone 13 Pro 256gb in graphite via Verizon.

They offered $800 for my iPhone XS (and maybe I got a promo for switching from T-Mobile?). Delivery on 10/22.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-03, 23:09

$800 is quite generous. Enjoy!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-04, 00:13

Looking forward to both the new phone and ditching T-Mobile. Their network had been steadily improving in CO until maybe 18 months ago and since then it's been getting worse and worse. I suppose part of that's due to the pandemic, but I wonder if they're internally botching the Sprint merger somehow.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-04, 07:54

I had to use Mrs T's phone a bunch this weekend (and it still isn't in its new case yet) and it is positively massive compared to the mini. I can only imagine how gargantuan the Max would feel compared to the other two.

Also, moving from an 11 Pro there is an increase in size that I knew but didn't "realize" until I'm holding her phone. I made the right choice in getting the mini for me.

I do miss the telephoto lens/macro mode though. I mean, I really miss it. There were many times over the weekend I really wanted it but just don't have it now.

Edit: I need a Pro mini. Make it happen Tim!

Last edited by turtle : 2021-10-04 at 08:57.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-04, 11:32

Well, the wife, myself and the daughter are all upgrading to iPhones 13. I ordered a Mini in blue, my wife and daughter got 13 Pro Max's in some color or another.

Apparently, our AT&T plan offers us the equivalent of "free" phones every three years. My 13 Mini will be $0 after I trade in my iPhone X. My wife and daughter will be out a whopping $5/month for 36 months ($180 each), and that for top-of-the-line phones.

I wanted a smaller screen and have no need of all those cameras. The ladies want the cameras, and the Pro's wound up costing our plan exactly the same as the regular 13. So, why not?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-04, 19:37

I pulled the trigger on a regular 13 this evening.

More to come...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-04, 19:52

Get a good deal? What color? Capacity?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-04, 20:04

Last year a sweet talking rep sold me on an extra line with an extra flipping phone, but not a flip phone, an iPhone XR.

Now, an iPhone XR is better than an iPhone 7 Plus, except it only had 64GB of storage.

I must have been in the depths of the lockdown blues to have wandered into such an incredibly dumbass expense.

She made me think I was paying $200 for the phone, but I was not (it was probably $200 off).

I did not use the second line, and only used the new phone as a spare to fiddle around with on the internet while my main phone was charging.

FIRST WORLD PROBLEM.

So last week I paid off the rest of the XR.

Tonight I canceled that second line.

I ordered a NORMAL iPhone 13 (not a Pro, not a mini).

Normal.

I got it in RED.

I got it with 512GB of storage.

She SAID that I will get $800 of credit toward the new phone with my trade in.

I will be operating under the notion that I will be upgrading to the 14 next year, but even as I type this I suspect that I will now wait for the 15.

I have 14 days to decide if I should switch to the Next Plan ($5/month to do a trade-in to the next release).

So there.

My Waterloo, laid bare.

Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-04, 21:40

Ah. I understand nothing beyond the “red” and “512GB”.

That’s one of the reasons I like being an SE cheapskate (and lacking the spec-hound gene). I just pay $399 outright, upfront (cash) for a phone that I keep at least four years. By the time it gets unusable, I throw $399 at someone and start over.

I could never make sense of the trade-ins, new yearly phones, never feeling like I actually owned it, etc. Me and the SE were made for each other. It will absolutely crush me if Apple goes and yanks it from the lineup again.