User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Getting Ringtones to Phone?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Getting Ringtones to Phone?
Yochanan

2005-05-29, 03:13

I did a search for ringtone* but I didn't find what I was looking for, so I'll ask this question even if it's redundant. Is there a way to get the MP3 files I have on my iMac to my cellphone? I have an iMac G5 20" 2.0 Ghz and a Motorola v551.

Right now I have them connected via Bluetooth, I was able to pull all of the photos I've taken with the phone onto my desktop, so I know the two can interact. But what's the method for preparing the MP3 files I have in iTunes to get on my phone? Has anyone done this before? I was thinking of using Garageband (which I just today discovered, the fun of) to edit down the files to a certain size and length, should I just use iTunes instead? If so, how do I? What's the ideal size and/or length?

I have two songs that I've already chosen, can anyone tell me my next step? Do I need another program to do this?

Thanks in advance.
pv2b

2005-05-29, 08:05

I'm not familiar with that particular model of phone, and I have never put a ring tone on a phone that is a "sound" file, but I have put MIDI files up on my phone (a Siemens S55) before. What I say might therefore not be 100% accurate, you might have to mess with it a little, but I hope this pushes you in the right direction.

First of all, it's very probable that your mobile phone doesn't know how to decode MP3 files as ring tones. You'll have to recode it into an uncompressed format, such as*WAV. Now, a WAV file at CD quality (44.1 KHz, 16 bit stereo) is going to be pretty big. Since you're going to be playing the file as a ring tone on a mobile phone, it's going to sound pretty horrible either way, so you're not really going to be bothered by it if you cut the file down in size a little by resampling it to a lower sampling rate (22.05 kHz or even 11.025 kHz), a lower sample resolution (8 bit rather than 16 bit) and of course -- into mono. (What phone can play a stereo ringtone? )

After that's done, you need to browse around with the Bluetooth File Transfer (or whatever it's called) program and look for the folder your phone keeps its ringtones in.

Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, feel free to reply.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-05-29, 08:43

The good news is that your phone looks like it can handle mp3 ringtones. The better news it that you're already able to transfer stuff to the phone. The bad news is that to edit the mp3 files (and you're sure they're mp3's and NOT mp4's? If you bought them off the iTunes music store, they're mp4) you need to get quicktime pro. iTunes won't actually edit the files. I don't think that GB will do it either but I've never tried with it.

Once you do what you want with the files, just transfer them using the Bluetooth File Exchange program. The only big gotcha to all of this may be that the files aren't necesarily mp3 files just because you have them in iTunes. The way to know for sure is to have iTunes show you the type of file it is. HTH.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-05-29, 09:28

on my Motorola, ringtone mp3s need to be a 64 k bit rate, and monophonic. I used iTunes to convert an AIFF.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-05-29, 17:49

How can I convert to midi? I'll edit the mp3 in QT, but then can I save it is a midi, or convert it somehow?
pv2b

2005-05-29, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej
How can I convert to midi? I'll edit the mp3 in QT, but then can I save it is a midi, or convert it somehow?
No.
Yochanan

2005-05-30, 03:59

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to try it in QuickTime Pro tomorrow.