Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Jaguar to Tiger

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Jaguar to Tiger
bentley

2005-11-08, 05:12

Hi,
at the moment my 400mhz 384mb ram g4 titanium powerbook has jaguar installed on it and i would like to upgrade to tiger.
When i try to install tiger it says that i have to have at least panther to continue installing,
Is it possible to wipe the hard disk to then install it?
If it is possible how do i do it??
Bentley
bentley

2005-11-08, 07:06

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-08, 08:54

You don't have to bump your thread less than two hours after posting it, especially since your first post was well before most people wake up and your second was still very early.

Anyway. You can wipe and install the OS by doing a "Clean Install." Be advised this will erase EVERYTHING from your hard drive. Make sure you back up all your data first. You should have the option of an Upgrade Install (which, like you said, won't work), an Archive Install, and a Clean Install. Actually, an Archive Install might work for you. It sets aside your old system folder and keeps all your data intact.

These options should be available by pressing the "Options" button on the lower right when you're going through the setup procedure.
diagonalman

2005-11-08, 10:53

Is it better to do a Clean Install?... providing that you backup all of your data of course.

I'm mostly a Windows person, but my wife has an iBook that I'm upgrading to 10.4.

We all know that its always better to clean install Windows, b/c the Registry becomes a big pile o' crap, but OSX doesn't use a Reigstry so I was wondering if a Clean Install makes any difference?

Our iBook is a G3/700, 640MB, w/airport, currently 10.2.8.

Grazie!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-08, 12:10

Clean install can help sometimes because it eliminates fragmentation. Then again, OS X also doesn't fragment the drive that much either. An archive install is probably more time-efficient, in that you'll spend a lot less time getting everything set up again after the installation. But some people like the idea that they're getting an absolutely fresh start.
diagonalman

2005-11-08, 13:30

I'm one of those people who get the 'warm fuzzy' from a fresh start.

We're going through a major clean-out at home reducing and recycling... so it was only a matter of time before I went to work on the computers.

The iBook I have is one of the last to also include OS9 as some sort of odd dual boot option. When upgrading to OSX10.4, is there a way to just get rid of that?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-11-08, 13:37

Well if you never plan on booting into OS 9, I guess you don't need it. But you should keep the CDs around just in case you come across some ancient piece of software you need to run.

If you choose to completely wipe the iBook and install Tiger, then you won't have OS 9 capability.
diagonalman

2005-11-08, 13:39

So then, by that logic... all sales of OSX are full installs and not upgrades?

Or will I be prompted for the original CDs during the install (if I were to reformat and start clean)?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-08, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by diagonalman
all sales of OSX are full installs and not upgrades?
That's precisely the case. Apple doesn't sell "upgrade" versions. Sometimes they'll include a special upgrade-only disc with new computers that don't have the latest OS for whatever reason, but otherwise every boxed copy of Mac OS X is a full licensed copy.

You as the user get to choose whether the installer uses an "upgrade" or a "clean install" method.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-11-08, 18:13

I think what's happening here is it won't do an Upgrade install from 10.2.x - only from 10.3.x

You probably should click the Options button and select Archive and Install with the option selected to Preserve Users - that way you won't have to erase your drive.
bentley

2005-11-09, 05:01

thank you i will try it right now!!
bentley

2005-11-09, 06:34

Hi,
i just tried the installer again and it wont even let me get to the area where I can choose the installation type.
The disk I have is an update disk should I try and use a new installation disk??
Bentley
bentley

2005-11-09, 16:43

Does any1 have any other ideas??
Bentley
bentley

2005-11-11, 00:46

dont worry i tried a different disc and it worked perfectly!!