User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

MacBook vs. MacBook Pro (for me)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook vs. MacBook Pro (for me)
bts2710

2006-09-09, 19:39

Alright..I'm having a hard time deciding between getting a macbook or macbook pro.

What I've done is customized one macbook and one macbook pro on apple.com and each end up being $2,199. The actual specs for the macbook seem to be much better...so I was basically wondering if I should consider the macbook pro. What does the macbook pro have to offer since the macbook seems so much better? I hope that makes sense. I also use photoshop a lot.

Here are the specs...

macbook

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
120GB Serial ATA drive
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

macbook pro

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
1GB 667 DDR2 - 2x512 SO-DIMMs
100GB Serial ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
15.4-inch TFT Display
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-09-09, 19:54

They're really different classes of machine, honestly. And you should not upgrade RAM from Apple on either of them. Actually, I fail to see how the MB comes out looking better to you.

Don't forget that the MBP has 128 megs of dedicated VRAM. And it also has 2" more of screen space. That should more than make up for the 20 gigs of HD space. Remember that neither the VRAM nor the screen size are upgradeable after the fact, but the hard drive and RAM are. Just something to consider. (There are also other spec differences you didn't mention but I don't feel like looking up the specifics.)
bts2710

2006-09-09, 20:02

Thanks..that helps. I just thought that double the RAM and more hard drive would make a difference.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-09-09, 20:10

If you use Photoshop a lot then the larger screen of the 15-inch MacBook Pro over the MacBook (27% more pixels) would be very useful. But so would plenty of RAM of course, although 1 GB would probably be enough unless you work with very large files in Photoshop.

The MacBook Pro also has a proper graphics card, while the MacBook has so-called "integrated" graphics with vastly less power. This is an extremely important factor to consider if you intend to play games or otherwise work in 3D (modelling or animation, for example). But for Photoshop and browsing the web the graphics performance is completely irrelevant.

The other important differences (ports, etc.) may not be important for you but make sure you know that. For example, the MacBook Pro has an ExpressCard slot which allows very high speed communication with devices like external hard disks. Is there a chance you might benefit from this over the lifetime of the computer?

I would suggest you save some money and get the MacBook with a smaller hard disk and 1 GB of memory, or get the MacBook Pro if you really want to spend $2200. If you are considering the MacBook Pro with a 100 GB disk then why are you bumping the disk up to 120 GB for the MacBook? Choose 100 GB or less unless you will have a need for the extra space within the next 12 months (if not, upgrading the hard disk in 12 months will cost less and give you a bigger disk in the long run). Spending $2200 on a MacBook is probably not a great idea because the machine has limitations that may become annoying over the lifetime of the machine, while the MacBook Pro is less limited. At the $2200 price-point, the MacBook Pro's biggest limitation is its 1 GB of memory, which could easily be upgraded in the future (when memory will almost certainly be cheaper than it is now too).
bts2710

2006-09-09, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Spending $2200 on a MacBook is probably not a great idea because the machine has limitations that may become annoying over the lifetime of the machine, while the MacBook Pro is less limited.
Good point..this makes me want to go with the pro.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-09, 21:09

Yeah...Apple makes the most money on BTO upgrades and the like, so it usually makes more financial sense just to upgrade to the higher-end model if you're spending that much money. I've never even heard of anyone spending $2,200 on a non-Pro MacBook.

I second the recommendation for a MacBook Pro for you.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-09-09, 22:11

I'd actually go the other way and say, if you don't need the dedicated graphics (e.g., you're not a gamer), get the MacBook and a NICE external display for photoshop work. You'll be cramped on the built-in displays on both computers anyway.

PS will run pretty well on the MB (at least as well as it will on the MBP - they've got the same CPU) but you have to get as much RAM as you can cram in there. Rosetta works well, but it's a RAM pig.

If you have no need for an Expresscard slot or the VRAM, an MBP isn't worth it for you.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-09-10, 02:29

Well, yeah - but getting a MacBook and a nice display is different from pouring $2,200 into a MacBook.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-09-10, 04:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bts2710 View Post
What I've done is customized one macbook and one macbook pro on apple.com and each end up being $2,199. The actual specs for the macbook seem to be much better...so I was basically wondering if I should consider the macbook pro.
You get more for the same price with the MBP. You can always up the RAM in the MBP later - it by default comes with the graphics card, extra screen space, backlit keyboard, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bts2710 View Post
What does the macbook pro have to offer since the macbook seems so much better? I hope that makes sense. I also use photoshop a lot.
As everyone is saying, you're going to notice the screen real estate with Photoshop. I'd suggest waiting until the holiday season to buy, though, as the MacBook Pro is going to be updated to Core2Duo before too long and you can either pick up a C2D model for around the same price-point, or get the model you just customised a lot cheaper second hand or from the refurb store.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-09-10, 06:59

At this point, neither. Core 2 Duo is coming soon -- at the very least to the MBP, if not both lines. When Core 2 Duo does get into the MB, it will be accompanied by a much improved updated Intel GMA -- still not a GPU with dedicated VRAM, but together with Core 2 Duo, the MacBooks are in for a substantial improvement. Black/White should become a no cost choice aswell.

MBP will get a more of everything -- larger HDD options, dedicated GPU, etc etc... Don't order anything from Apple that would be an easy install -- like RAM -- as that will be much cheaper elsewhere. If you want more storage -- larger HDD's can be worth it -- just to avoid the hassle.

What is you're intended use? Think about things like battery life first, if you haven't already.

pOps

2006-09-10, 09:05

well.
by the way you talk about it, you don't seem to be a gamer or a pro-user...
and as mentioned before, if you don't need certain features, you don't NEED them.
I can't speak for you, but I wouldn't get a macBook pro just because it's "bigger and better", try and think about what you really NEED.

eg. in my case:
* I need it to be portable, so smaller would be better for me.
* I don't need the graphics card, although I do edit film in final cut pro, but you really don't even need it for that, so that reads macBook again.
* the processors are basically the same, so no change again.
* for a bigger HD, I am buying the macBook with a friends student card, so I can get a cheap iPod, which will be my additional HD space (it is basically a fancy external HD).
* I would get my RAM from somewhere else, because I need the upgrade for my protools audio editting.
* I'll buy a 19" widescreen flatpanel display from my computershop around the corner for less than $200, for when I need that, so that leaves me with the aestatics and the superdrive...
* $200 more for the superdrive seems a lot, since I also have a DVD burner in my desktop computer, and can network the files over to burn, but it is nice to be completely portable. so I'm still stuck with my choice between the 1.8 or 2.0 macBook because of that.
* add another $200 on top for a black colour, or another $500 to that for the metal-look, and I am sold for one of the white macBooks with a iPod on the side..

so this is my scenario, you might have other things that you WANT, but what do you really NEED?
azcoder

2006-09-10, 09:19

I don't have a macbook, but do have a macbook pro. So I can't comment on which is better.

But having owned several non-mac laptops over the years, I cannot emphasize how impressed I am by the quality of the MBP.

The aluminum finish, the bright display, the perfect form-factor, the back-lit keyboard.......it's all very well-made. I completely recommend it.

My advice: you can't go wrong with the MBP.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-09-11, 18:38

I figured I should put my 2 cents in here seeing as I am considering selling my MacBook in favor of a MacBook Pro a little later on. I really want a bigger display on my portable. I love using my laptop in class but I don't really see how having a little bit bigger footprint will hurt me. I can see how more screen space would help me though. It would allow me more space to work with multiple documents while taking notes or doing work in class. I also like having my laptop for use while sitting on my bed or in the family room of my dorms. Again I only see the benefit of more screen space, no losses really. It would really be a screen size choice for me. I love the fact that the MacBook Pro has a dedicated GPU and backlight for the keyboard. This would be neat to have but I don't know if I truly need them. It depends on the updates to both lines. If they add those two key features to the MacBook I might sell mine to gain those features and forget about the whole screen size thing; however, if the lineup stays like it is now, I will seriously consider selling mine for a MacBook Pro because of screen size. If anybody has any more opinions on the comparisons between the two let them fly. Sorry for my rant!
meepzork

2006-09-19, 13:49

my 2 cents:

i did a straight trade, my 1.83 mbp for a 2.0 black macbook, and ive never looked back i like the keyboard better and the footprint is alot smaller than it looks.

p.s. i do music, not photos. so my needs might be different.

p.p.s. www.macstyles.com is goodtimes.

Last edited by meepzork : 2006-09-19 at 13:50. Reason: thought of more stuff to type.
pOps

2006-09-19, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepzork View Post
my 2 cents:

i did a straight trade, my 1.83 mbp for a 2.0 black macbook, and ive never looked back
what do you mean? you went to the applestore, put down your 1,83 white macBook and $400, and said: "gimme a blackBook"? and that worked?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-09-19, 14:50

MBP is MacBook Pro. Looks like he ate a few hundred $$ on the "straight" trade.
meepzork

2006-09-20, 14:48

I posted an ad online offering to trade my SILVER 1.83 macbook pro for a macbook . i would have preferred an upgraded white model(80gb/superdrive) because it looks WAY better, but all the replies i got were for black macbook owners so thats the trade i did.

p.s. i paid $1200 for the mbp brand new. As far as i can tell I didnt "eat" anything.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-09-20, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepzork
p.s. i paid $1200 for the mbp brand new. As far as i can tell I didnt "eat" anything.
Then let me clarify that for you: your MBP was worth more than your current MB; the difference in value is what you "ate".

meepzork

2006-09-21, 18:48

When all the math is done, i bought a black macbook for $1200. Im still not seeing that i "ate" anything at all. Especially considering i like the macbook WAY better.