Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Penny Arcade Expo... Anyone Ever Been?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Penny Arcade Expo... Anyone Ever Been?
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-03-14, 22:25

My friend and I are thinking about heading out to this year's PAX. Just curious if anyone has ever been, what it's like, etc, etc. If you've not been, but generally think Seattle is worth visiting, list that too.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-03-26, 06:59

Well I guess no one has ever been. I did book my flight so I'll be checking it out after all. Anything must see, or anywhere I must eat in Seattle?

Website | Twitter
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2008-03-26, 07:08

Send pix from PAX! And tell us if it sucks!

(though I'm sure it doesn't )
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-03-26, 07:43

What the hell is the Penny Arcade Expo? An Expo built around a comic strip? An expo built around old video games? Inquiring minds (who are too lazy to Google it right now) want to know...

...into the light of a dark black night.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-03-26, 08:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
What the hell is the Penny Arcade Expo? An Expo built around a comic strip? An expo built around old video games? Inquiring minds (who are too lazy to Google it right now) want to know...
It's only the biggest gaming festival evar, where people actually play games and not just look at stupid booth demos, hosted by the Penny Arcade guys.

You're one lucky dude, jdcfsu. Do keep us posted with pics and stories!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-03-26, 08:18

So IOW not like the infamous GenCon, where participants are likely to end up as the butt of numerous jokes in Star Trek documentaries, blogs about D&D nerds, etc? Is this sort of like one of those Korean video game superbowls or more just for regular people to go in and play against other people at the conference?

...into the light of a dark black night.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-03-26, 08:35

It sounds fantastic. Keep us updated with pics and stories!
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2008-03-26, 09:33

Sorry I missed this thread! I was an enforcer at PAX last year and plan on returning this year if I can. I didn't have a ton of time to go hunt for food in Seattle last year, but I was also on an extremely limited budget for the trip. Penny Arcade took care of us pretty well, however. Sleeping on huge mounds of those Sumo pillows was sweet! We all got to take them home, too. The first day we got there, we filled all of them and had a gigantic pillow fight/fort party with pillows as big as our bodies. It was sweet.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2008-03-26, 12:28

Oh snap, how did I miss this thread? I've never been to PAX, but I've lived in Seattle since forever. Unfortunately for you the light rail line from the airport to downtown doesn't open until next year, but bus system is excellent.

As far as stuff to see, most of the touristy stuff is pretty worthwhile (Pike Place Market, the new library, most of the museums). I wouldn't recommend the Space Needle though - it's pretty expensive for the view you get. Also, if you're interested in baseball at all I would see a Mariners game - totally worth it.

Let me know if you have any more questions about Seattle!
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-03-26, 12:58

If I lived anywhere near there I would totally go. Sadly for me I can't really justify the expense to go there this year. Maybe next year...
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-03-26, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Sorry I missed this thread! I was an enforcer at PAX last year and plan on returning this year if I can. I didn't have a ton of time to go hunt for food in Seattle last year, but I was also on an extremely limited budget for the trip. Penny Arcade took care of us pretty well, however. Sleeping on huge mounds of those Sumo pillows was sweet! We all got to take them home, too. The first day we got there, we filled all of them and had a gigantic pillow fight/fort party with pillows as big as our bodies. It was sweet.
Sweet! What are the must see/do things at PAX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
Oh snap, how did I miss this thread? I've never been to PAX, but I've lived in Seattle since forever. Unfortunately for you the light rail line from the airport to downtown doesn't open until next year, but bus system is excellent.

As far as stuff to see, most of the touristy stuff is pretty worthwhile (Pike Place Market, the new library, most of the museums). I wouldn't recommend the Space Needle though - it's pretty expensive for the view you get. Also, if you're interested in baseball at all I would see a Mariners game - totally worth it.

Let me know if you have any more questions about Seattle!
I checked and unfortunately the weekend we'll be out there the Mariners are on the road. I would have really enjoyed seeing a game out there though. So no Space Needle huh?

Website | Twitter
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2008-03-26, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
So no Space Needle huh?
Last I checked it was about $15 to go up, which is a bit much. As an alternative, I've heard there's an observation deck on top of the Columbia Center (the tallest building in Seattle) that's only $3-4. Either way, since PAX is in August you should have a nice sunny view from either place.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2008-03-26, 23:39

Quote:
Sweet! What are the must see/do things at PAX?
Oh geez...well, there are ALWAYS surprises. Keep your eyes open and ears listening. Last year, it was the Rock Band creators demoing a rock version of the Halo theme, with Master Chief dancng around. Literally there are too many awesome things going on. Run around. See everything. Play as much as you can. One of the coolest things at PAX is that you can literally talk to the game devs. Chances are, if you really get into one of their games, they'll start handing out free shit. I got some awesome skull mug from that Pirates of the Burning Sea MMO last year, just for talking pirates and such with them. Fun times! Literally there's just about everything there, so find your niche and have a blast. I'm hoping the devs for Guitar Rising are there. I know they were in SF for one of the cons a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen if they'll be at PAX. If you haven't heard about that one, it's like Guitar Hero, but you actually plug a real guitar into the console. If they show at PAX, I bet they make a big impact.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-07-30, 16:26

PAX info came out today. The keynote is the guy who wrote BioShock! Should be pretty sweet. I'm also looking forward to the History of History of Harmonix: THE ROCKENING! And check out the sweet cover art:

Now they just need to send my badge and I'm all set!

Website | Twitter
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2008-07-30, 23:27

You'll have an awesome time. I wish I could go this year, but I have some family commitments while PAX is going on. Stupid weddings.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-08-26, 07:39

I leave very early Thursday morning EST. Pretty excited. Any last minute suggestions for things to see/do/eat in Seattle?

I friend told me to make sure I visit the 'gum wall.' Sounds odd.

Website | Twitter
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2008-08-26, 09:04

Anyone that's been an enforcer in the past should know the good spots for food. You'll find out who they are pretty quickly.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2008-08-26, 18:49

Quote:
I friend told me to make sure I visit the 'gum wall.' Sounds odd.
It is what it sounds like. It's kind of hidden, too; just look under Pike Place Market and you'll run into it eventually.

Also, you lucked out on the weather—it's supposed to be sunny this weekend.

Last edited by BlueRabbit : 2008-08-27 at 00:10.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-08-27, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
Also, you lucked out on the weather—it's supposed to be sunny this weekend.
Good thing I looked... it's 35 degrees cooler then it is here! Had to make sure I dug out my winter gear (which is jeans and a hoodie for Florida).

I'm off to the airport tomorrow morning at 5am EST to start the cross country trip. I'll take some pictures and let you guys know how it goes.

Website | Twitter
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2008-09-01, 22:17

I got back sometime earlier today... been a little jet lagged. The conference was great, albeit packed. I got to meet both Mike and Jerry as well as Felicia Day and Sandeep from The Guild. It amazed me how down to earth and humble all of the people were. It was a really great weekend.

For fellow East Coasters: PAX Boston 2010!

Website | Twitter