User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Cell phone use while driving...where do you stand?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Cell phone use while driving...where do you stand?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-31, 09:48

We touched on this a long while back in that "rant and rave" thread, but I'm sitting here this morning, still shaking.

In the four-mile drive to work, I nearly got creamed TWICE this morning. The common component in both? You guessed it...the people were yakking on the phone, seemingly oblivious to everything - especially ME - that was around them.

One guy even had the balls - after I slammed on my brakes and laid on my horn to avoid getting nailed by HIS stop sign-running - to shoot ME a bird and mouth "fuck you". It took everything I had to continue on my way and let it go, and not chase him down to administer a roadside beating.

I've taken mental notes on this, and every near-miss I've had the past several years ALL - every single one, I kid you not - share that one common component: people just blabbing away and simply not paying attention. It's been on the freeway at 70mph, and in Target parking lots at 2mph...and all locations and speeds in between. Surface streets, side streets, on ramps, off ramps, parking lots, parking garages, two-lane rural roads, 6-lane "main drags" through town.

I'm at my wit's end and it would not bother me in the least if there was a strictly enforced "no talking on the cell phone while driving" law where I lived. Or everywhere! Is that too over-the-top to wish that? Am I punishing the many for the shitheaded actions of a few? But what if those "few" are killing everyone and causing accidents everywhere? I just don't know anymore...

All I know is that I've been guilty of burning popcorn in the microwave or letting my sink run and almost spill over because, while at home, I'm been engrossed in some fascinating, distracting conversation on the phone. But that's the worst that can happen: ruined popcorn or a wet floor. But take that same level of distraction and being oblivious to what's going on around you and place it in a moving two-ton hunk of metal. Why would folks assume that just because it's a cell phone and they're in their car, that they won't/don't get just as distracted and "lost in conversation"?

Jeez...it's a wonder we're not all dead. I'm STILL jittery and pissed off, and it's been nearly half an hour.

Where do you guys stand on this particular issue? I'm genuinely curious.

Have you had (or, be honest, have you CAUSED) any close-calls or accidents due to talking in your car?

I always pull off the road, into a parking lot if I get a call that I must take (and that's key here: one of my goober friends calling to jibber-jabber about some neighbor's ass or whatever...I don't consider that an "important call" that I must take, then and there). I'm so scatterbrained as it is, I knew if I got in the habit of just driving around with my cell phone on blabbing non-stop (like so many people seem to do anymore), bad things would happen. I'D be making all kinds of stupid mistakes and endangering people.

At this point, I'm pretty certain that's how I'm going to go: I'll get plastered by some bubblehead soccer mom in an 8-ton SUV, talking to her boyfriend about nothing important...and I'll get T-boned at 60mph, two blocks from my house probably. It'll be a tragedy, and so unnecessary.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-12-31, 09:58

my stand is simple. if i can't tell you're on the phone, i don't care.

how often does that happen? not very often.

as for my own cell usage while driving, i'll talk for under a minute, if i have talk with someone about a subject immediately. if it's going to be longer than that, i'll pull off somewhere or just tell them i'll call them back.

i'm of the belief that very few conversations are so important as to have to occur while i'm on the road. lets face it, before the cell phone, those conversations didn't have to happen right then. nothing has changed that much.

i'm at the point now where i'm looking to build an (illegal) cell phone jammer. allows directional blocking of cell phone signals. i figure it should ratchet down my stress level a notch or two. or at least make me laugh.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-31, 10:18

That's interesting. Make two, I'll buy the other one.

I certainly don't look around, taking note of who is and who isn't talking. Like you said, if I don't know, I don't care (although, if you just casually glance around next time you're at a traffic light on a busy street...try to find five people who AREN'T talking on the phone...you can't). It's only when there's another near-miss or I'm nearly splattered all over the road - like this morning - that I always seem to go "yep, there's the phone...". Every time. Not some of the time (and I'm simply exaggerating for effect, to make my thread sound good). No, I mean ALL of the time.

Really bothers, and worries, me.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-12-31, 10:25

You know, it could be that people are just getting worse at driving in combination to cell phones. There are very few of my friends I feel confident in their driving abilities. The ones that I do, I have never seen hindered by cell phone usage.

Of course, when you have bad drivers with cell phones, it's asking for trouble, and we all know that most drivers are bad. I'm not perfect, but I don't suck as much as other people, and I don't have a cell phone either
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-31, 10:42

I'm a great driver (just under 20 years...no accidents, no tickets. Okay, ONE ticket...48 in a 35 zone, about 13 years ago). $35 fine.

But I STILL won't risk a big conversation, only because I know how distracted I can get. If it's my Mom, Dad or two particular friends of mine, I'll answer it while pulling off to the nearest parking lot. Anyone who isn't one of the above can leave voice mail, or I'll quickly answer it and I can tell in two seconds if they're just calling to chit-chat. I say "I'll call you back" and do so from a parking lot or whatever.

I just refuse to drive down the road and get lost in some big, heavy conversation at the same time. If I were to cause a wreck because I wasn't paying full attention to the road and my driving, and I injured someone (or worse)...I don't think I could ever get over that. I'd never forgive myself, particularly since I've been on the near-miss receiving end so damn much.

I'd be a hypocrite, and would deserve to suffer.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-12-31, 10:47

Where do I stand? Against it. Against it. Against it. I live downtown and walk everywhere. This is becoming more dangerous. I have almost been run over by drivers making right/left turns a number of times over the last few years. In just about every case, the driver had a cell phone in one hand. I fear for my kids, who also walk around the neighbourhood. I don't want to ban them from walking, but the drivers out there scare me.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-12-31, 11:03

I bought myself a Motorola bluetooth gizmo that acts as a speakerphone in my car. My cellphone is dumped into the passenger seat and if the phone rings while I'm driving I just reach up to my visor and push the button. Same thing with dialing because I can issue voice commands for that.

So.

Does the act of removing the hand-to-ear make me any "safer" of a cellphone-driver? It's looking like the answer is NO, according to the studies that have been made to-date.

I will confess that I very much enjoy taking care of business during the "down time" of driving around town. I would miss this luxury if there were a total ban on cellphone usage. At this point in time I can't help but expect that societal mores would weigh in AGAINST a total ban simply due to the convenience factor. This will remain an elephant-in-the-room topic. Nobody's going to point out that he isn't wearing any clo-

But I mix my metaphwhats.

As I left the Lenox Apple Store and walked out of the mall last night I popped my phone to my head (my headset cable is shot AGAIN) and I noted with more than a little embarrassment that there were no less than seven of us hand-to-head guys walking down the hallway.

It was just a couple of weeks before that I realized that half of the people walking through Target looked like they were part of a massive FBI sting due to the fact they were all wearing boom microphone cellphone headsets. Either that or they were all Madonna/Britney wannabes.

Cellphones in cars? It's dangerous and stupid and will very likely kill one of us, one day.

Getting rid of them? I'll believe it when I see it.

PS.
I have my own gripe about dual turn lanes. In the past six weeks I have almost been creamed no less than THREE TIMES by morons who don't understand the concept of multiple lanes taking 90º turns. Every time I was in the outside lane and every time the asshat drivers were in the inside lane, just drifting over into the outside lane.

I'll bet those people were on cellphones.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-12-31, 11:05

I talk on mine occassionally, but I'm pretty careful. Actually people hate talking to me while I'm driving because I constantly say "hang on" and stick the phone between my legs if I have to merge, turn left across traffic, go through a 4 way stop, etc. Usually I get tired of this in about 30 seconds and say I'll call them back.

If I'm crusing down the highway, I think nothing of it though.

I got sideswiped years ago by a guy on a cell. I'm turning left in front of him, he has a STOP sign, and he stops, looks, and drives right into me. I was *right* in front of the prick. He drove into my driver's side rear wheel.

I almost killed the fucker.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-12-31, 11:21

Shouldn't be allowed. I had to jump out of the way of same assface yapping on her cell last year. She gave me a dirty look for almost getting run over so I punched the side of her car as she passed me. Wasn't a very good idea, I couldn't really move my hand for about a week after that. Though she did just about crap herself when hit it. Yeah, cell phone when driving in the city should be outlawed. On a major highway when you're just blasting along in a straight line is fine.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-12-31, 12:14

It's illegal for a reason. Here in Canberra you lose 3 demerit points if you get caught - which for a P-plater is one point less than losing your license.

Of course, I'm a nazi, but I really think you shouldn't answer your phone when driving. Let it ring. Is it that hard? If you can't stand the ringing sound, turn it on silent. Again, is it that hard?

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2004-12-31, 12:15

I talk while driving sometimes. It depends on who's calling. Usually, I only do it on the freeway, but sometimes on the streets. When the gig starts in 30 minutes and the guy who hired you calls, it's generally a good idea to answer, and there's not always a place to pull over.

Never caused any near-misses due to cell phone usage.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2004-12-31, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
I have my own gripe about dual turn lanes. In the past six weeks I have almost been creamed no less than THREE TIMES by morons who don't understand the concept of multiple lanes taking 90º turns. Every time I was in the outside lane and every time the asshat drivers were in the inside lane, just drifting over into the outside lane.

I'll bet those people were on cellphones.
Oh yeah, people love doing that to me. I almost hope it works one of these days cause I need an excuse to get a new car. And I like yelling at stupid people.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-12-31, 13:14

I talk on it in the car from time to time, but I make it short, sweet, to the point, and get the fudge off. "I'm in traffic, call you later." is a great phrase to precede a 'click'. Most times I check the CallerID and don't answer unless it's a call I'm expecting, and need to answer like, then.

I wouldn't be upset by a ban, in any way.

Oh, and don't hit their car with your closed hand, slap it with the flat open palm. Makes a *HELL* of a noise inside the car, and saves your hand. Accompany it with a world-class jump, duck and roll onto the sidewalk, lay still, and give them the fright of their life. Get their license plate *first*, then if they take off in a hurry, call in a hit and run.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-31, 13:24

Pure evil, you are!
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2004-12-31, 13:27

As with pretty much anything, cell phones in cars can be just fine in the hands of responsible people. I think what everyone is touching on is assholes that only care about themselves. They would be assholes regardless.

I use my phone in the car all the time, that is when I'm driving which isn't a lot these days. I always use my handsfree kit as I have a standard transmission and need both hands to drive the car.

There have been plenty of times when I had to take some calls and didn't have time to pull over to talk, but I'm a responsible diver. I'll drop to the speed limit and move over to the right lane so I don't get in the way of grundle lickers that insist on doing 30+ the speed limit.

More than cellphone users, why can't people use their fucking turn signals? Or why do they insist on cutting between lanes when traffic is moving at a perfectly good pace? Aggressive drivers are a much bigger problem in my book than cellphone users.

There is nothing wrong with cellphones in cars. There is a problem with assholes.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2004-12-31, 13:42

Quote:
I'm a responsible diver. I'll drop to the speed limit......

anyone else see something wrong w/ that statement?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-31, 13:46

"I'm a responsible driver...I'll drop to the speed limit, put the cap back on the Jim Beam bottle, turn the stereo down to 30dB and have my girlfriend remove her mouth from my wang when I want to make a phone call. It's all about responsibility, people!".

HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2004-12-31, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit

anyone else see something wrong w/ that statement?
Not really. Most studies I've seen show that you are safer going with the flow of traffic even if it is above the speed limit than being slower.

I don't really speed much anyway. At most I'm doing 5MPH above. Slowing down gives me a little bit more time to react to something in the road.

EDIT:

Quote:
In most instances, a speed limit based on the 85th percentile speed best reflects the expectations of the largest proportion of drivers; is found by most to be a safe and comfortable limit; facilitates speed enforcement; and offers the greatest chance of achieving some uniformity in speeds on a given road. When motorists drive at a relatively uniform speed, tailgating, lane changing, and overtaking are reduced. As a result, collisions are less likely to occur.

Those who drive much faster or slower than most of the drivers around them place themselves and others at considerable risk of a collision. When the posted limit is reasonable, enforcement can be targeted to the relatively small number of drivers who exceed the limit.
From here.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-31, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
Slowing down gives me a little bit more time to react to something in the road.
...yes, like the pedestrian that just got flattened by the a-hole talking on the cell phone!

We've come full circle, it seems.

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-12-31, 13:52

Cell phones should only be used by people in the passenger seats.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-12-31, 14:52

the interesting thing though is that if you're talking to people in the car, it's not a problem.

i've had this discussion a few times with people, and have decided it's not the hands in use part that's the problem. rather, the problem arises because unlike a conversation with someone in the car, a person on the phone has NO idea what your driving/traffic situation is like. so they keep gabbing when you're about to rear end someone, instead of yelling at your stupid ass. but that's just my opinion.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2004-12-31, 15:20

Here, using cellphones in a car without handsfree is forbidden (It will cost you a 40 Euro fine and one 'point' (Too many points and you'll lose your drivers licence). You still see people holding a mobile, but the number seems to have been decreased since the law has passed some years ago.

I use a bluetooth hands free kit which is coupled to my car stereo. You only see a small microphone near the steering wheel and a mini control unit with two buttons.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2004-12-31, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
the interesting thing though is that if you're talking to people in the car, it's not a problem.

i've had this discussion a few times with people, and have decided it's not the hands in use part that's the problem. rather, the problem arises because unlike a conversation with someone in the car, a person on the phone has NO idea what your driving/traffic situation is like. so they keep gabbing when you're about to rear end someone, instead of yelling at your stupid ass. but that's just my opinion.
You, sir, are correct. Another factor is that it takes a bit more mental effort to talk over the phone than it does in person, but mostly it's what you said.

IonYz

Send a message via AIM to IonYz  
2004-12-31, 17:31

Eveyone in my family has a cellphone but me. For long trips I'm usually with someone that has a phone. Actually I lie, I have a cellphone but I never grew accustom to wearing it. Its in my bag in the back seat. Its usually their if I need to call someone, not for receiving calls. Hmm, history lessons are fun

Alcimedes and Dave have it, don't carry on in-depth conversations while you drive. When I've had my phone with me I pull over or am at a light. Not very often.

I wouldn't oppose a ban at all. I see enough people walking around with them. Time to take that last step and insert the technology into the skull.

/* styling for my posts */
.intelligence {display: none;}
Akumulator

2004-12-31, 17:56

One night on my way home from work I was coming up along side an SUV thing that was swerving all over the damn highway.... so I decided to get past the asshole before I got caught in the middle of an accident. As I passed I looked in the window, and I swear to fucking god that this bitch was talking on her cellphone... hold it between her ear and shoulder and on her lap was her fucking baby. She was feeding it!!! and driving no less than 90mph. I have no idea what she was using to steer her car but whatever it was, it wasn't working.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2005-01-01, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
One night on my way home from work I was coming up along side an SUV thing that was swerving all over the damn highway.... so I decided to get past the asshole before I got caught in the middle of an accident. As I passed I looked in the window, and I swear to fucking god that this bitch was talking on her cellphone... hold it between her ear and shoulder and on her lap was her fucking baby. She was feeding it!!! and driving no less than 90mph. I have no idea what she was using to steer her car but whatever it was, it wasn't working.
Wow . That might even warrant a call to the cops.

edit: fixed spelling

Last edited by Dave : 2005-01-01 at 21:35.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-01-01, 20:18

Personally, I rarely use the phone for longer than 3-5 minutes anyway, when I'm driving, I go out of my way to make that even shorter. Since I drive stick, driving with a cell phone is way more hazardous, and I usually just let the phone ring when I'm on surface streets. Though, when I'm on the highway, if there is minimal traffic(i.e nothing that will require me to downshift and slow down) I will pick up my cell if it rings. And 9/10 the only 'conversations' I have in my car with my phone go down in less than 15 seconds.

"hey where are you"
"I just got off the X, I'll be there in Y"
"cool, well, we're not going to be a A's come to B's instead"
"all right"

or some such variation.

anyway, I'm 100% confident in *my* cell phone driving skills, because it's only on very limited uses, and I'm still able to focus(and when I need to the other line gets a lot of "hold ons" as I position the phone somewhere to change gears or whatever)

I think one big factor to it is whether or not the driver is driving stick or automatic. On the one hand, manual is more hazardous because you need your hands free to change gears and steer at the same time. But on the other hand. The sense of detachment from the road that many modern automatic cars give you, and all the comforts that make using a cell phone(or any number of potentially hazardous roadway activities) easier, in turn makes it easier for bad drivers to be dumbasses.
hyperb0le

Send a message via AIM to hyperb0le  
2005-01-01, 22:00

I never answer the phone while driving. But the second day after I got my license, I was almost screwed by the dual turn lane morons that were mentioned earlier in the thread.

"I understand small business growth. I was one." - George W. Bush
Eugene
careful with axes

2005-01-02, 00:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I'm a great driver (just under 20 years...no accidents, no tickets. Okay, ONE ticket...48 in a 35 zone, about 13 years ago). $35 fine.

That really doesn't say much about your driving skill and/or reflexes/reaction time. I think it's safe to say one isn't a bad driver just because he breaks the speed limit. My sister has never gotten a ticket, and I think her driving is terrible. She pumps the gas pedal because she thinks it's more fuel efficient (it isn't.) She drives hella slow. She swings way wide of obstacles...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-02, 00:32

I never meant that the "speeding ticket factors in to my driving ability". I simply said I'd had no accidents or tickets (because tickets could be for a hundred other stupid, reckless things...NOT just speeding). But in the interest of honesty and full disclosure, I added the qualifier "okay, I got one ticket...I went 48 in a...".

That's the only reason I said it...not wanting to lie/omit a fact. I probably should've said "no wrecks and only one ticket...but it was for speeding".

And I never said I didn't speed. But I've only gotten caught/ticketed once in all this time. That's all. You're right in your statement, but wrong in thinking I connect(ed) the two.

Sorry about your sister. Honestly, she sounds about like mine (over five accidents).

What says a lot about my driving skill is that, despite all the opportunities and situations presented to me in nearly 20 years (in particular the decade I spent in SoCal), I've not had a wreck. I should've had tons by now. But not fucking around with the radio and phones while in traffic, not driving like an idiot, having a great set of eyes and good strong reflexes, keeping an eye on everything, truly paying attention to all that's around me and always kinda assuming the person beside/behind/in front of me is going to do the stupidest thing possible (because they often do) and being prepared to respond as needed...

I might speed a bit from time to time, but only on wide, open road or freeway, when it's just me around. But I don't tailgate, cut-off, swerve/weave, endanger others, act like an asshole behind the wheel, make gestures or anger/intimidate others, drive 50 in the fast lane, drive 70 on surface streets/residential areas, etc. And I ALWAYS use my turn signals and come to a complete stop at signs, don't run redlights, don't climb into my car when I've had seven beers, etc. (if I can spend $20-30 on drinks, I can sure as hell spend $10-15 for a cab).

THAT'S what makes me a good driver. Driving is serious business, and I treat it as such.

I always just imagine the other car has a newborn baby or my grandmother riding in it, and act accordingly.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-01-02 at 11:07.