User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Auto-Grow Flower Farms

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Auto-Grow Flower Farms
¡Damned!

2014-01-27, 15:48

I need about 5 stacks of each individual new flower, and since bone-mealing the ground and growing 10x more grass than flowers just wasn't cutting it, I've decided to build a handful of automatic flower farms. They're also for public use, of course, but if the bonemeal runs dry you'll have to refill the dispenser.

Simply flip the switch on and let the chest fill up to as much as you need. Turn off when done.

The mechanics are based on this, but I've redesigned it to make the growing area a bit larger and put the redstone clock underneath so the working guts weren't hanging off the ass-end.

The stairs on the right lead down into the bonemeal dispenser for refilling. It takes 2 bonemeal for every grow cycle because it's on the same circuit as the water (the water needs a redstone pulse to turn on and off), but whatever, bonemeal is cheap enough (especially once the trap gets back up and running ).

The one pictured above is at the NE portal, since Blue Orchids only grow in swamps, but I think I can make the other 5-6 work in the Flower Forest at the N portal. They may be spread out kind've wonky, but that's because specific flowers only grow/regrow in specific, small areas. I need to find good areas for each and build around them. If people like the farms and make use of them for dye as well as flowers maybe it'll be worth it to connect them via short skyways or something. We'll see if they're a hit or not.

Anyways, Blue Orchid is up and running for anyone that likes them or wants light-blue dye.

So it goes.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2014-01-27, 15:56

And where was this yesterday as I spent 2 hours wasting bone-meal on grass to get a stack of blue orchids.....
¡Damned!

2014-01-27, 16:15

See what I mean? Especially frustrating is when you grow nothing but a big circle of grass and have to punch it all down just to try again.

Kinda what led me to throw up my hands and decide to automate the process.

A stack of 64 is roughly 5 minutes at the farm, fwiw. Just some waiting around. It *still* will grow a circle of grass and no flowers every now and then, but at least you don't have to mow it down yourself.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-01-27, 17:36

I just want to see it in action!
¡Damned!

2014-01-27, 18:54

Flip switch. Get flowers. Rejoice.

It really is that easy and fun.
¡Damned!

2014-01-27, 18:59

bobsky made a very good suggestion: there's a chest with bonemeal next to the dispenser now.

He suggested automating it as well, but I said no. Shovel your own coal, plebs.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2014-01-27, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
A stack of 64 is roughly 5 minutes at the farm, fwiw.
Hmm. You'll get nowhere near that number in the Flower Biome. Just sayin'. The second farm centered on a patch of daisies is producing equal daisies and bluets. Cool, I guess, but you'll have to stand there longer. Plus, in the Flower Forest expect some poppy and dandelion in the batch. That just goes without saying.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-01-27, 20:46

What are you goobs doing with all these flowers?? Shipping them around the kingdom in some FTD scheme? Supplying creeper weddings? I'm obviously dialed out... as usual, my apologies in advance.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2014-01-27, 21:02

Mackerelmore is doing a stint on MC next week. Didn't you hear? I'm just getting prepared.
¡Damned!

2014-01-27, 21:11

OR - I'm building these somewhat selfishly because I need the flowers to populate 13topia, and after that they're fair game for anyone else that needs flowers (or dye).

But Moremackerels is a good enough reason as any, I guess, even though I'm not sure what he does, exactly. The most I know about him is that he has a cute boyfriend, because Anna said so. I haven't checked him out yet, but I don't doubt her. She has good taste.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2014-02-01, 12:05

Flower farms complete!

I had varying luck finding good 7x7 patches of "just that one" flower that would regrow consistently, so in some farms you'll get the occasional daisy or mis-colored tulip in addition to what's listed on the door, but for the most part they work very well.

There's also a simple pathway that connects all the farms to the portal - no rails or anything, just lit with torches - so if you're traveling at night watch out for baddies. I find it's best just to run the pathway at night anyways.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-02-01, 14:14

Very nice. Who knew there was a little bit of "Flower Child" in you?
¡Damned!

2014-02-01, 14:52

The dye creation is also a great thing. Magenta is (was) such a pain to make, also light gray. So much easier.

For reference, insta-dyes available now: light blue*, magenta, light gray, pink, orange & red. That said, it's more efficient to go to the entrance of the Mart and bonemeal the tall flowers I placed there a while ago if you want large amounts of magenta and pink (plus red & yellow). 1 bonemeal gets you 2 dyes with those.

Anyways, I'm happy with these. It was a nice and easy distraction that I needed while I thought about what the new park rides would be and where to put them.

* at the Blue Orchid farm next to the NE portal. Alas, they only grow in swamps, so that's the one flower that can't be harvested in Flowerland.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-02-01 at 15:06.