User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Synching mail messages from one disk to another

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Synching mail messages from one disk to another
Velauno

2005-08-12, 11:09

I have a dead g4 that is working a Firewire drive in target mode. I need ti=o bring into mail the old emails stored in that drive.

I used Chronosync 3.02 and it did a perfect job of synching the complete content of my old drive with my new one. When I look at my mail files the match of every file is exact yet when I open Mail in my new computer, the mailbox folders that have email from before the date when I changed computers do not show up.

So...any mailbox folders in which i have not stored anything since I switched computers are empty.

What is going on?

I have the latest tiger and new computer is an IMAC G5 20"

Thanks for your help

Jaime
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-08-12, 22:44

Hmm.... *scratches forehead*...

Well, when I moved from one iBook to another, I copied the Mail folder from my old user account to the new one. Literally, that was it -- went from one Library to the other. It's not the most intuitive approach, I know; who would look in the old Library if they weren't familiar enough with the OS?

But, anyway, that's what I did...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-08-12, 23:02

I'm not running Tiger, so I do not have first hand knowledge of this, but I believe that the way Mail handled actual email files changed so that indexing could occur via Spotlight.

Mail in 10.3.x and prior, stored each email message in an "mbox" as one database file. Mail in Tiger stores each mail message as an individual file, I believe.

Have you performed a SEARCH on the boards for this ... or consulted the Apple Knowledge Base (or whatever it is called) for more info?
jsk173

2005-08-12, 23:35

Mac+ is right about the changes to Mail in Tiger.

If you can locate the old messages you want on the old computer, try using the Import command in Mail. That should do it. The time-stamp of the mail folders on your new computer were probably after those on the old computer, so perhaps the sync did not work as expected. Regardless, importing email is a relatively painless exercise.
Velauno

2006-11-03, 11:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi View Post
Hmm.... *scratches forehead*...

Well, when I moved from one iBook to another, I copied the Mail folder from my old user account to the new one. Literally, that was it -- went from one Library to the other. It's not the most intuitive approach, I know; who would look in the old Library if they weren't familiar enough with the OS?

But, anyway, that's what I did...
I just upgraded the disk in my PB 12. For some reason the "migration assitant" utility got hung up. So I copied the mail files from one library to the other.

On my first attempt the folders showed up just fine, the message counts appear okay but the messages themselves did not show when I opened the message folders.

I kept at it and found that I needed to transfer the actual messages from the messages folder inside my POP-account folder inside the Mail folder in my user library.

After I did this an relaunched mail everything i used to have showed up in the right places.

I know it sounds confusing but but I am not that great at describing exactly what I did but if you feel I can help you with a similar problem feel free to send a pm.

Jaime