User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 59 of 68 First Previous 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-03-04, 09:55

Yeah, not really a surprise, but I'm still trying to figure out why. What is the actual pull for an electronics company to move into the car business? I mean, clearly there is profit there, but it just seems to be an odd convergence. Same for an Apple Car for that matter. While many have talked about it, I don't see the logic behind it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-03-05, 16:33

Vehicles are the next big thing for tech companies, that is why Apple and Sony are jumping in. Once they are all self-driving vehicles will become full on entertainment devices, and more importantly a boon for big data collection since they can learn every detail about a user from where they live and go, then sell that data to advertisers. Most auto makers are doing this already with the built in 3G and 4G chips in vehicles. Also as companies push more for electric vehicles, owning them will make less sense (battery replacement costs), which will drive up leases over buying, profits will sore due to turn over.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-04-28, 16:56

What are GMC trucks like?

I mean, what is their reputation?

Lately I began noticing them, and they're not bad looking.

Reliability and functionality is a concern though.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-04-28, 17:28

Their reputation is that they are Chevies with cute, little GMC badges on them.

Most American trucks will go 250,000 miles or more, and the big diesels are good for 500,000+.

At mile 17,450, all of the plastic bits will begin to rattle, and screws will start falling out of the nooks and crannies, but the damn things will keep going until they rust to powder.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-04-28, 18:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
What are GMC trucks like?

I mean, what is their reputation?

Lately I began noticing them, and they're not bad looking.

Reliability and functionality is a concern though.

Depends on the truck. The v6 units with automatic cylinder deactivation are known to be problematic, and transmission issues are not uncommon.

I also had to change course with my vehicle change, after a fender bender (encounter with a tow hitch) the insurance company declared it a total loss. Had to rush around a few weeks back and get something quickly before I ran out of days with a rental car. Came out with a 2013 RAV4 Limited. I’m sure the price is too high, but it was the cheapest one with a good history of service. Might still get the Maverick hybrid when it comes in, well someday. At this point orders as late as mine from last year are almost certain to be 2023 model year units.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-04-28, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Their reputation is that they are Chevies with cute, little GMC badges on them.

Most American trucks will go 250,000 miles or more, and the big diesels are good for 500,000+.

At mile 17,450, all of the plastic bits will begin to rattle, and screws will start falling out of the nooks and crannies, but the damn things will keep going until they rust to powder.
I've had a few of them and they are great. Knock on wood, have had no issues. My current 2017 Sierra SLT is at 128k mi. Been trying to get an Ultimate Denali for a year and a half though. You take care of them and they will run forever.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-04-29, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
You take care of them and they will run forever.
This.

It's the same with all full-sized trucks.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan.

Change the oil once in a while, and they run until *all* of the screws fall out.

I drive a Tundra.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-04-29, 11:52

I have finally seen the Ford Maverick in the wild and I do kinda like it. I would rather a super cab vs quad cab (rear suicide doors vs full doors) to give me a shorter interior and hopefully a longer bed. Plus, it is a truck, not a people mover.

Really though, it is the size I'm after. I love my old Ranger but the new Range is on steroids compared to it. For reference, the old Ranger is a 1998 with ~150k miles on it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-04-29, 14:39

I saw a Maverick for the first time last week as well. Size looks good. Down side is there seem to be a lot of the usual first model year issues. Some of The hybrids have overheating cats, when using remote start. A bunch of the early units had holes drilled in the gas tanks by the company doing the bed liner. Transmission issues, for hybrid pop up sometimes. Water in the rear taillights. Tailgates not being aligned properly. Starting to think it might be a good thing if the one I ordered ends up being later on. A
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-04-29, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Some of The hybrids have overheating cats, when using remote start.
That sucks.

I had ours fixed.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-04-30, 12:42

Yeah, I had to double take my read on that line. Meow.

Given we just had to replace a vehicle I'm not in the running to get a Maverick any time soon. Plus, my old Ranger is still churning so it will until I can't drive it anymore. Thankfully my state doesn't have a safety inspection!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-04-30, 16:38

Quote:
That sucks.

I had ours fixed.

Meh skip the fix, when it comes to the warm fuzzy kind of cats my rule is shoot first, ask questions later. The hard metal catalytic converter on vehicles is far more valuable anyway, and yes calling them a "cat" is common in the vehicle enthusiast community.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-05-01, 08:03

Interesting niche market of people who are beefing up their Sprinter style vans.

https://owlvans.com/collections/revel

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-05-01, 08:32

There is an entire subculture on YouTube of people that have moved into Sprinter vans and are traveling. Many of them were international travel vloggers who moved into vans when travel basically stopped during Covid.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-05-01, 13:22

The whole living in a vehicle thing has been a thing on youtube for years now, 8-10+. In the past is was mostly people between jobs and collage students, now it's just more and more people, office workers etc.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-05-01, 18:15

I called my GMC dealership Friday and they told me they haven't even started building my truck that I ordered yet. Not just mine, but any period. That was 4-5 months ago I put in the order. They said GMC shut down orders because they're already backed up over a year on them. Luckily, I got in on one of the first days I could order and I'm the first at my dealership. It's pretty damn ridiculous though.

@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-05-01, 22:19

That's just the way things are right now. People who ordered Ford Mavericks last June and July are still waiting for their trucks to be made, and production began in September last year. One of my clients gave me the same story for their luxury brand vehicles, since their lease is up in less than a year. The dealer told them, order now if they want something in the next 8-11 months.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-07-17, 20:17

Good news, for me anyway, my XLT Hybrid Maverick arrived at the dealer on Friday, test drove it for about half an hour today. I'm hoping to get everything sorted with my current vehicle this week so I can pick it up soon.

First impression, honestly I feel like some reviewers did a disservices to the build quality of the Maverick. Yes there is a lot of plastic, but I didn't find it to creak or feel overly cheap. The plastic didn't really seem any worse than what you'd find in a Toyota Camry or RAV4. Of course I haven't been moving things in an out of the vehicle, so that point of view might change with time. Everything was tightly assembled, other than one of the rubber bumpers that the tailgate rests against while up in the locked position, it was loose and sitting in the bed after I opened it the first time. Keep in mind I've mostly been driving older vehicles, and never a luxury car. The only other newer cars I've driven were a 2018 Mazda CX3 and a 2020 Hyundai Elantria, so comparable budget vehicles, everything else was 2013 or older. It's quiet, and a much smoother ride than my 2013 RAV4 Limited, which has a very stiff suspension setup. Not as soft as my Camry Hybrid, but it's not a car and has a longer wheel base. A lot of people have said the sound system is trash, didn't seem bad to me at all, but I don't tend to play music at 100+ DB. The rear view mirror is really narrow, as in no matter how you adjust it you can never get the entire rear window in view, never experienced that in a vehicle before. Okay, enough for now.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-07-17, 22:21

We just picked up a 4 door 2021 Mini Cooper last week. Wanted something smaller than the 2010 Q7 we were hauling around in.

Only had 1600 miles on it, so basically a brand new car, but got a good deal on it.

Definitely an adjustment going from a fairly large SUV to this, but I love the little thing. It's like a go kart on the street.

Always been fascinated by the Mins and the wife and I have talked about possibly getting one if we ever wanted something smaller. We wanted something that we could drive around without letting the dogs in, because the Q7 was getting disgusting with the dogs and a toddler. We'll keep the Q7 around for bring the dogs places, but overall, the Mini is super fun so far.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-18, 09:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Good news, for me anyway, my XLT Hybrid Maverick arrived at the dealer on Friday, test drove it for about half an hour today. I'm hoping to get everything sorted with my current vehicle this week so I can pick it up soon.

First impression, honestly I feel like some reviewers did a disservices to the build quality of the Maverick. Yes there is a lot of plastic, but I didn't find it to creak or feel overly cheap. The plastic didn't really seem any worse than what you'd find in a Toyota Camry or RAV4. Of course I haven't been moving things in an out of the vehicle, so that point of view might change with time. Everything was tightly assembled, other than one of the rubber bumpers that the tailgate rests against while up in the locked position, it was loose and sitting in the bed after I opened it the first time. Keep in mind I've mostly been driving older vehicles, and never a luxury car. The only other newer cars I've driven were a 2018 Mazda CX3 and a 2020 Hyundai Elantria, so comparable budget vehicles, everything else was 2013 or older. It's quiet, and a much smoother ride than my 2013 RAV4 Limited, which has a very stiff suspension setup. Not as soft as my Camry Hybrid, but it's not a car and has a longer wheel base. A lot of people have said the sound system is trash, didn't seem bad to me at all, but I don't tend to play music at 100+ DB. The rear view mirror is really narrow, as in no matter how you adjust it you can never get the entire rear window in view, never experienced that in a vehicle before. Okay, enough for now.
This will likely be my next truck. I don't need much for a truck and this would fit the bill. I live to far out in the sticks now to make an BEV be realistic for me and my loads are not requiring something larger than this.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-07-18, 09:22

Quote:
I called my GMC dealership Friday and they told me they haven't even started building my truck that I ordered yet. Not just mine, but any period. That was 4-5 months ago I put in the order. They said GMC shut down orders because they're already backed up over a year on them. Luckily, I got in on one of the first days I could order and I'm the first at my dealership. It's pretty damn ridiculous though.
My truck order still hasn't gone through yet. It has been delayed so long now it's going from a 2022 to a 2023. Still hoping to have it by the end of the year. Very frustrating.

@yontsey
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-07-18, 10:29

Quote:
My truck order still hasn't gone through yet. It has been delayed so long now it's going from a 2022 to a 2023. Still hoping to have it by the end of the year. Very frustrating.
Same thing happened to me when I ordered my 2010 Mustang. I ordered right as they were switching to the 5.0 in the GT and my order could either be the last of the 4.6 or the first of the 5.0. Ended up waiting 8 months for the order to go through because it was such a cluster on the switchover.

Can't even imagine what the actual supply chain looks like for car manufacturers at this point.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-07-18, 11:51

Quote:
Does the buyer have ANY ability to negotiate now?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-07-18, 12:26

Quote:
Does the buyer have ANY ability to negotiate now?

Yes. You can negotiate to pay a higher price.

Other than that, your best option is to buy only what you absolutely need until prices come down. If they ever do.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-18, 12:27

I will say it also helps to find a dealer around you that is gouging prices. The Toyota dealers in my area are very different. One is marking up big time while the other is not.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-07-18, 13:26

I will give the dealership and GMC credit. I've been trying to buy this truck since March 2021. Dealership has waived any added on $$$ that they are doing with normal vehicles, and GMC has given people who have been trying to get the same truck a $3k rebate for having to wait. My dealership were only able to get 4 of these trucks on order. GMC has shut off orders for for a year because they are so backed up.

@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-07-18, 20:09

I think I really found a decent dealer for my Maverick. No not below MSRP, but only MSRP + doc fee. Given that many dealers are asking 5-10k+ on new vehicles, I'm satisfied. I saw one dealer listing a similar build (not even built yet) for $15k over asking! Crazy. I couldn't even get out of the dealership for my test drive without a few people looking into the truck. They backed off when I started adjusting the mirrors.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-07-25, 23:33

Brought the Maverick Hybrid home this weekend, and in terms of fuel economy it's hitting, and surpassing the mark. Several trips now exceeding or around 45MPG in city/slow speed roads. Some trips around 70% of the time it's running on electric power. Only 80 miles on the odo so far though. Don't do a lot of highway driving, so these hybrids are great for the commutes I do for the most part.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-07-26, 10:01

Man, I'm excited for you! I've finally seen some Mavericks out in town near me and I like it, other than all being 4 door and short bed. I can totally see it replacing my antiquated Ranger when the time is right.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-07-26, 14:36

So far the short bed isn’t an issue, haven’t had any trouble loading up my tools. Anything longer than 4.5’ goes across the bed on an angle. Lots of tie down points, so it’s easy to secure loads.