AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Weird American Snacks

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Weird American Snacks
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-13, 14:27

Oh yeah, Tang is as American as it gets. Remember, the astronauts brought it with them to the moon!
Foj
Veteran Member

2005-12-13, 14:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
I can't recall ever seeing grits in Canada. I may be wrong, but I am not sure that most Canadians would even have a clue what they are.
that's because outside of the south it's "cream of wheat". whatever the hell that is.
SledgeHammer

2005-12-13, 15:54

Tang is awesome, but Yoo-Hoo tastes like weakly chocolate flavored water.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-12-13, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer
Tang is awesome, but Yoo-Hoo tastes like weakly chocolate flavored water.
I think that's probably because Yoo-hoo is weakly chocolate flavored water
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-12-14, 02:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeDude
Carol, was it Stacy's maybe? That's the brand my local Costco carries, and they're pretty good.
Yeah, CubeDude, I think that's the brand.

Since they're baked, not fried, one can feel a tad less guilty when eating them.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-12-14, 02:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
I can't recall ever seeing grits in Canada. I may be wrong, but I am not sure that most Canadians would even have a clue what they are.
*Real* grits (with butter and salt, yuuuum! ) are delicious. I think they are these chunky hominy things, ground down into smaller bits.

Denny's serves those truly awful "instant" grits - at least they do in places 'other' than the actual South.

Instant grits are horrible and bear almost no resemblance in taste or texture to the 'real' thing.

This is a mildly humorous commentary I noticed about grits:

http://www.mikeandshelly.com/aboutgrits.html

and a pretty awful pic of grits:

http://flickr.com/photos/lia/62540541/

I really like Cream of Wheat, but *only* the original, long-cooking (ten minutes ) kind. Especially with half and half. Yum. They are *NOT* the same as grits. No way, no how!

Grits are *wonderful*.

Explanation of grits that I found via google:
Quote:
Hominy Grits is dried corn that is shucked and shelled and then soaked in a weak solution of Lye water. The Lye water causes the tough skin of the individual kernels to separate and the corn kernels to swell to three or four times their original size. Then the shells are separated from the swelled kernels and require repeated soaking rinses to wash away as much of the Lye as possible. The kernels are then dried and the dried kernels are ground into a rough meal. Hominy Grits store well and are nutritious. Rough ground meals are a common staple food for many cultures around the world. Porridge and gruel are both familiar versions of this kind of food staple. I suppose it is an acquired taste.

Personally, I prefer the yellow variety that is served by the Waffle House restaurants that can be found scattered around the country. I believe I’ve seen them adding some kind of Butter flavored oil while it was cooking, adding to the flavor and the color of the finished dish. What I can say for sure is that a plate full of Cheesy scrambled eggs, scattered, smothered and covered hash browns and a small bowl of grits on the side is a little bit of down-home heaven to me.
I included the Waffle House quote for Brad. heh
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-12-14, 02:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR
Funyuns, anyone? Basically some sort of styrofoam that one can eat that tastes like artificial onions. Sublime in every sense.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-12-14, 03:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
I first saw those in Australia. I was gobsmacked... Maybe it's something in my British upbringing. I know it's irrational because you drive to the supermarket to buy booze. But the image of people driving up to a hole in the wall in their *car* and buying booze just seems both hilarious and obscene at the same time!

Of course I had a go...
Yeah, scratt, the drive-thru liquor stores *are* kinda sleazy. I guess they cater to desperate people.

Like I said, I was pretty happy when I discovered they sold milk, because I could drive through, buy my milk, and it would save me a trip to the store when it was late and I was tired after work.

Guess I was desperate for milk.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-14, 03:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
and a pretty awful pic of grits:

http://flickr.com/photos/lia/62540541/
Geez. Yeah. I don't think I could've drawn a more unappetizing picture in MS Paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Grits are *wonderful*.

Quote:
I prefer the yellow variety that is served by the Waffle House restaurants that can be found scattered around the country.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2005-12-14, 03:37

Hey, Brad. I guess you qualify as a "southern boy", right?

So... do you have a southern accent of some kind?

Just wondering.
AWR
Veteran Member

2005-12-14, 03:45

Drum roll...............................
scrouds

2005-12-14, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj
that's because outside of the south it's "cream of wheat". whatever the hell that is.
Cream of wheat, has well, wheat.

As Windswespt posted, grits are made of corn.

Both are good.