Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Drinking Wine (Reds=Hurt)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Drinking Wine (Reds=Hurt)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-02-27, 11:57

I've learned in the last decade that I can't drink many red wines because they give me heart burn. However, I can drink white wines with little problem. More importantly, I enjoy drinking Port (particularly tawny port) and don't get the pain.. Any of you wino chemists out there care to enlighten me as to why I have this problem with some types of red wine and perhaps suggest some red wines that I might be able to safely drink without experiencing indigestion? Sulfides? Phosphates? Screaming Mimi's? What?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-02-27, 12:11

Because red wine is what a man drinks, and white wine is for girlies.

Go back to white, ya baby.

Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-02-27, 12:13

Beer me blazer.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-02-27, 12:17

Funny, because red wine is supposed to be healthy compared to white wine. Sounds like a strange reaction.....
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-02-27, 12:18

You need to do a Tums chaser, man.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-02-27, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hedberg
I like to drink red wine. This girl says "Doesn't red wine give you a headache?" "Yeah, eventually! But the first and the middle part are amazing." I'm not gonna stop doing something 'cause of what's gonna happen at the end. "Mitch, you want an apple?" "No, eventually it'll be a core."
There are a lot of great white wines to try, I've started making my own wine over the past couple months, and I'm doing my first (but girly) red wine right now. It's a strawberry merlot, and isn't done, but is looking pretty good if I do say so myself.
Bill M

2006-02-27, 12:37

White wines are indeed more acid than red wines. I had it wrong here. (Note to self: don't post and talk on the phone at the same time)
:-(
My bad, I apologize for the idea mixup. I was on the phone with my wife's doctor (she suffers from GERD), and thought appropriate to ask him regarding this topic while I posted. He mentioned some red wines make the stomach produce higher levels of acid, as compared to white wines (the source of my original mixup), which could lead to abdominal pain. Specially if the stomach's inner lining suffers from ulcers or erosions caused by bacteria. He also mentioned to check for the presence of abnormal levels of helicobacter pylori bugs, which might be having a feast at the expense of your stomach's health.

He also mentioned to try Merlot, which is a mellow red. See if that lessens your reaction, confirming the acid production. Try the finer brands too, as bulk bottlers tend to add chemicals which might also have an adverse effect.

Edit: Fixed Red/White wine acidity mistake, cleared up doctor's comments

Last edited by Bill M : 2006-02-27 at 14:54.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-02-27, 12:57

Red Wine Headache

They don't know what causes it, but it's an interesting read. I think it's important to note that not necessarily all red wines will give you a headache, and that you should experiment.

Quote:
To lick the problem, he advises a potentially long, painful, and costly experiment. A sufferer of the headaches himself, Dr. Freitag finds that he can drink some reds and not others. “Try different brands, different grapes, different countries of origin. That’s the only way you are going to find out.” Drink a half a glass of red wine; if it is going to give you a headache, it will do so within 15 minutes. If there is no reaction, stick with that wine for the evening, keeping your alcohol consumption to no more than two glasses. Keep a journal.

yes I did read this thread, I am just posting about headaches from red wine, because I know a lot of people get it so yeah I'm not contributing anything really, but it's cool
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2006-02-27, 13:12

As resident wino, yes Red wine can have some health benefits. The acidity of the wine has nothing to do with red or white or pink for that matter. Third every individual person is going to have different reactions to wine. I personally can no longer drink more than six ounces of Red without becoming impaired and unable to drive.

oh and "You think you could Irish up this coffee for me?"

Mile 1
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-27, 13:18

I know a woman who's allergic to red whine, and would probably die from shock if she ever drank a whole glass of it. The reason seems to be an allergy against certain molds, whose traces are in the red whine, but not in the white.

I also can't drink red whine, because it makes my gums hurt and my tongue feel strange. I guess I'm also allergic to something in the wine (I'm also allergic to a bunch of other things), but it's not nearly that pronounced. But I prefer a good white wine anyway, and I don't care what anybody says
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-02-27, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
Red wine = high acid
White wine = low acid

You may want to check for a stomach ulcer or, at least, the presence of lots of helicobacter bugs which might be having a feast in there.
Funny that. I always thought it was the opposite.

Drewprops, I have know idea why you are reacting the way you are. Just drink what you can and stop whinging.

Just kidding. It remains one of the great mysteries of the world why one man's nectar is another man's poison. Too bad you tolerate white better though: Reds show whites the strong pimp hand.

But you've still got a cool website, so you've got that going for you.
Bill M

2006-02-27, 14:44

AWR,
You are right, I mixed up the Red/White wine acidity facts; explanation above. Thanks.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-02-27, 16:50

Three things are the big ingredients in reds that cause people problems:

- Tannins. Naturally occurring in red wine more than white, some people are sensitive to them. These people also have problems drinking black tea, another strong source of tannins.

- Sulfites. Added to the wine during processing to help with preservation, sulfites cause headaches in many people. A lot of white wines have sulfites too though, so if you can drink whites but not reds, it's probably not this.

- Histamines. Found in many pesticides, red wines, where the skins are retained in the processing for longer, have more of this residue.

My wife is allergic to many reds, and also to *Benadryl* of all the stupid things. We finally narrowed it down to the histamines, since she...

- can drink black tea until the cows come home.
- can drink white wines with sulfites no problem.
- is allergic to Benadryl, and bees (another histamine compound).
- has a histamine-like reaction to the wine: she puffs up, her fingers swell, and her skin reddens.
- can drink either organically grown reds *or* old reds, like pre-1975, with no problems.

She has a simple test she finally noticed so that she doesn't have to actually get sick before she knows the wine will affect her - she takes a deep breath through her nose, of the fumes. If she gets an itching tingle high in her sinuses, it'll make her sick. If not, it's okay. She's had near 100% success with this test method.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2006-02-27 at 19:09.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-02-27, 17:07

EXACT. SAME. THING.

I stopped drinking red wine for years and only drink white now. I rarely have heartburn problems, but red wine causes it by the second sip. I'm interested in whatever you find in your search. Orange juice does this too if it is watered down but cranberry if perfectly fine so I don't think "too much acid" can be a factor here.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
autodata
hustlin

2006-02-27, 18:40

I love red wine, particularly italian reds, and drink it and/or straight amaretto every night. Many women I know only like white wine.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-02-27, 19:06

You guys have posted some interesting stuff... Kick I really like your wife's sniff test! I've done some poking around and found a link that describes the basic properties of wine which might help me pick wines that don't hurt me.

If you've never HAD a tawny port you really ought to try one, at least 12 years or older if you can afford it.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-02-27, 19:10

What are helicobacter bugs?
Bill M

2006-02-27, 19:52

Helicobacter Pylori: Bacteria that lives in the lining of the stomach. It's the cause of some illnesses like gastritis and GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease). The helico name comes from the spiral shaped tail and movement. It's treated with antibiotics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicobacter_pylori
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-02-27, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
Kick I really like your wife's sniff test!
Dang! You made me go back, find the post, and re-read it to find out what you REALLY meant.
How can you write something like that without totally cracking up?

Anyways, I have the same thing with mononitrates. I can enter a room and "detect" them by an instant and sometimes severe migraine that lasts the rest of the day. It doesn't matter if I get a wiff, or eat the stuff for an hour, it has the same effect.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-02-27, 21:52

While we're at it, I don't digest salads very well.... I'm such a mess.