AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

2006 Winter Olympics

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2006 Winter Olympics
Page 3 of 5 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-15, 08:28

Well technically it's on CNBC here I think but all the same, the graphic said 2nd Intermission about 20 minutes ago. I'll go double-check.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-15, 08:33

All right either CNBC is on crack or I am, the clock says 2nd period. We may never know the truth, but Italy got another one... there's still life! Don't worry I'll be consistent and root for Italy if they play team USA too. Our team motto is "Don't let your Depends show!". I can't believe how many old guys there are on our team. It's pathetic. Give some young, 2nd and 3rd year players a shot, assholes!

...into the light of a dark black night.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-02-15, 08:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot
Bet murb and I are watching on CBC. I sooooo don't wanna go to class right now.
Yup. 6-2, now in the second intermission.

I'm praying that my kids don't wake up and beg me to put on Treehouse.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-15, 09:23

Is that like the Canadian version of Barney or something?

Well, 7-2... you boys were LUCKY I tell ya! That one move to backhand the Italian guy made on the 2nd to last PP was awesome though. Kinda wished he'd have scored for the fans in the stands. CLANG!

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-02-15, 09:31

So thus far today Sweden and Canada have won their games 7-2 over Kazakhstan and Italy respectively...what other games are going on? I'm too lazy to check a schedule

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-02-15, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot
So thus far today Sweden and Canada have won their games 7-2 over Kazakhstan and Italy respectively...what other games are going on? I'm too lazy to check a schedule
Dartmouth v. Bhutan should go 7-2 as well. I've put CHF10,000 on it. That's later today so keep watching.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2006-02-15, 11:32

I should know better than to ask a question at AN.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-02-15, 11:36

Other games today:

Men's Prelim. Round - Group A: SUI - FIN 09:30 15 Feb
Men's Prelim. Round - Group A: GER - CZE 11:00 15 Feb
Men's Prelim. Round - Group B: RUS - SVK 14:00 15 Feb
Men's Prelim. Round - Group B: LAT - USA 15:00 15 Feb

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/eventsche...cehockey.shtml
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-02-15, 12:57

not to be mean, but shouldn't a country that has basically year round winter and that is as large as canada have more than 3 winter olympic medals?

g

that should get those drunken hosers yelling and fightin'

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-15, 13:32

It says on CNN.com that "American Idol" and other things are trouncing the Olympics in the TV ratings.

I wouldn't have thought that, as built-up and infrequent as this all is (the Olympics).

Odd.

I guess people would rather watch mediocre singing than someone flying off a ski ramp at some crazy speed...
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-02-15, 13:34

Yea, what's up with our neighbors to the north? Have they taken Bode Miller's advice and tried to do all the events while drunk?

Oh wait, they're Canadian....of course they are!

Medal Count

Nice to see the U.S. leading the Gold Medal coutn at the moment, even if half of them are in pretty much American invented sports such as snowboarding.

RE: the TV ratings, I was personally watching both "American Idol" and the Olympics at the same time. Those people on American Idol who think they can sing jsut get me laughing every time.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2006-02-15, 14:19

The Olympics, as they are presented, are awful. The second the let the viewer at home select which event they want to watch and from whatever camera angle they want, then I'll watch all the time. Everytime I've turned it on this time all I've gotten was figure skating and cross-country skiing. Whoppee!

The Olympics are bizarre. The host city aways goes broke putting it on and I can't imagine the networks that pay a trillion dollars to show it have an easy time making a profit. Then the doping scandels hit the news and every gets all disenchanted. I've also lost interest since they switched to the every two years instead of having both summer and winter every four years.

Put it all online, let me pick what I watch when I want. If I want to spend two hours watching a slow-motion downhill skiing crash, that's my perogative. And I'll pay for it....and watch lots of ads.

I watched American Idol last night because watching those losers crash and burn was a lot more entertaining then watching a bunch of dudes in lycra unitards flounce about on the ice to crap music. Maybe I'd watch if Simon Cowell was on hand to belittle them once they got off the ice.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2006-02-15, 14:24

I hope some of you are watching MSNBC right now, Slovakia and Russia are playing hockey, and Demitra and Datsyuk have just scored two of the nicest goals you will ever see!

Oh boy, is this great!!!

Edited cuz it ain't Latvia, its Slovakia.....

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.

Last edited by Stone Of Love : 2006-02-15 at 14:36.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-02-15, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Other games today:

Men's Prelim. Round - Group A: SUI - FIN 09:30 15 Feb
Men's Prelim. Round - Group A: GER - CZE 11:00 15 Feb
Men's Prelim. Round - Group B: RUS - SVK 14:00 15 Feb
Men's Prelim. Round - Group B: LAT - USA 15:00 15 Feb

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/eventsche...cehockey.shtml
I guess my brain has just seized up... but who is 'SVK'?

Oh, and... I know Bode can be annoying. But he's still really *cute*!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-15, 14:34

Slovakia?

Or am I just remembering that from old, silly Three Stooges episode?

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-02-15, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Google
SVK Slovakia
Google is my friend...
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-15, 14:35

Quote:
Slovakia. I wish they used the standard international shortcuts rather than their own homebrew ones.

Beaten to the punch, as usual.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-02-15, 16:14

Quote:
Oh, and... I know Bode can be annoying. But he's still really *cute*!
Annoying? Try childish. This should really go in another thread, but consider this more proof that , for women, a guy's personality doesn't count for jack.
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2006-02-15, 17:03

We finally got a medal! Woohoo. We're on the board.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-15, 21:08

3-3 against Latvia?? I told you guys weeks ago... the US will be lucky to finish 5th or 6th. Aside from marginal talent, they're old and obviously not highly motivated. This could be a repeat of Nagano.

Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2006-02-15, 22:33

Not that I disagree with you Moogs, but they got stoned several times by Irbe today!!

What did they have?? 42 shots on goal? They looked motivated to me.

I say 4th for the USA.

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-15, 23:17

Well that's encouraging at least but I'll reserve further judgement until I see them play. Latvia is certainly not a defensive powerhouse. I'd expect at least 40 SOG from a good team.

I just wish the USOC would've acknowledged that there is no way we're winning gold this time around, and so the prudent thing to do is get some young guns their experience so next time we can really contend from the get-go. I mean look at the D. Two guys under the age of 33. Liles and Leopold are 26. And other than Gionta (the one good chance Team USA took) and Gomez, the average forward age is about 35. That's just too damn old for an international tournament.

Speed counts for something on a big open ice surface like that, as does endurance.

Last edited by Moogs : 2006-02-15 at 23:23.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-02-16, 03:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
3-3 against Latvia?? I told you guys weeks ago... the US will be lucky to finish 5th or 6th. Aside from marginal talent, they're old and obviously not highly motivated. This could be a repeat of Nagano.
Weak result. As for Nagano, I don't care if they don't make it out of qualification, so long as they don't start throwing furniture out the windows in the Olympic village.

Nothing like a sore loser.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-16, 08:56

No kidding. I'm trying to figure out the specific times for the Sweden-Russia and other games today to set up my VCR while I'm at work. GTG...

The Swiss are giving the Czechs a fight btw! 2-2 in the third last I saw.

BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-02-16, 09:18

Quote:
Speed counts for something on a big open ice surface like that, as does endurance.
Especially for the D, as you said. It's a different way of doing things, the angles are completely different, the lanes are different, even communicating across 15' extra feet of ice is different. Is Rafalski on the team? He at least has experience on 100' wide rinks from his stint in Finland. Yeah, the team is too old, which I say mostly because they're not able to open it up in terms of tactics.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-16, 09:21

Switzerland 3 - Czech Republic 2!

We got some gamers here... Slovakia and Switzerland answering the call. I like it. And jet lag no excuse because Slovakia is nearly all NHL players I think. Gaborik, Demitra, Hossa... they all scored / contributed, so there you have it. Open field = good field.

AWR
Veteran Member

2006-02-16, 09:24

Quote:
No kidding. I'm trying to figure out the specific times for the Sweden-Russia and other games today to set up my VCR while I'm at work. GTG...

The Swiss are giving the Czechs a fight btw! 2-2 in the third last I saw.
Sweden Russia starts at 4:05pm over here (as you probably know), which is 6 hours ahead of EST (which you also probably know ).

Hopefully, the US can pull off another draw tonight. Then come storming back with two big wins to bust into the next round.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-02-16, 13:45

Spoiler!!!

*Snowboardcross*

Quote:
BARDONECCHIA, Italy - American Seth Wescott used a sweet little slide move to nudge into first place and become the first Olympic champion in the wild sport of snowboardcross Thursday.

Wescott gets a gold medal. Everyone else gets warm compresses and aspirin. And Team USA’s gold medals keep rolling in thanks to snowboarding. Team USA increased its lead in the gold medal count to six, one ahead of Germany and two in front of Russia.
Wheeee...!!! Can't wait to see this one
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-02-16, 22:11

Well NBC's Olympic hockey coverage officially sucks festering baboon nuts. Let's see... one of the games wasn't on the channel they said it would be, when it would be. In two games there were three goals during the commercial breaks, which they arbitrarily create (2 in the Russian-Sweden game and one in the Canada-Germany game...probably others).

Bill Clement and Chicken Parm are their in-studio commentary guys, and the in-game guys are wearing janitors uniforms. The NHL now runs Olympic hockey. No wonder if fucking sucks. They should absolutely forbid all non-rookie players from entering the Olympics. There's just no sport / hunger in it anymore. All these guys have the pro ego and attitude and it shows on the ice. I'm sure it's an honor for them, but they don't play like minor leaguers and college kids who are hungry to make it to the next level. That's what made the Olympics great once upon a time.

Olympic sports in general should not allow professional athletes on the field of play.

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-02-17, 01:35

My friend from high school (the figure skater) placed 4th overall. I'm sure he's pretty crushed because he didn't medal, but I'm really proud of him. This was his first olympics, it can only get better from here.

Come waste your time with me