User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

How can I make MSN Messenger recognize the built-in iSight?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How can I make MSN Messenger recognize the built-in iSight?
AlexN

2006-04-07, 00:04

How can I make MSN Messenger recognize the built-in iSight? Anyone?

Thanks.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-07, 00:07

Um.
A) You're talking about Windows, with Boot Camp or XOM/OnMac, neither of which supports the iSight.
B) You're talking about Mac OS X. Microsoft's Messenger for Mac (née MSN Messenger) does not support video chat, nor audio chat.
AlexN

2006-04-07, 00:36

No, not boot camp. I'm talking about MSN Messenger on MacOS X. Unlike the Windows version, the mac version doesn't even have an option to start a video chat.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-04-07, 00:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN
No, not boot camp. I'm talking about MSN Messenger on MacOS X. Unlike the Windows version, the mac version doesn't even have an option to start a video chat.
Exactly. Like chucker said, it doesn't support video chat in the OS X version. It has nothing to do with the hardware.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-04-07, 01:02

You'll need to either switch to iChat or go to Yahoo Messenger which doesn't support audio.

Word has it that Skype is coming out with video later this year (chucker, any word on that?) but that it will only work on intel macs. I'm not sure why that is. Something about a specific intel instruction set or something.
stratotom

2006-04-07, 04:43

You can get aMSN, which is a clone of MSN Messenger. It's on the OSX downloads page on the apple site. It supports webcam, and is much more like Msger than the Microsoft version.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-04-07, 05:24

I find aMSN far too slow in general use to be useable.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-07, 06:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
Word has it that Skype is coming out with video later this year (chucker, any word on that?)
Still scheduled for this quarter, explicitly between April and June. "On track" as of a few weeks ago.

Quote:
but that it will only work on intel macs. I'm not sure why that is. Something about a specific intel instruction set or something.
No, that's untrue. The Intel-only feature is the ability to have ten (rather than five) simultaneous audio conference participants. Video will be available on both PowerPC and Intel.
Alexia

Send a message via AIM to Alexia  
2006-04-07, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Still scheduled for this quarter, explicitly between April and June. "On track" as of a few weeks ago.

No, that's untrue. The Intel-only feature is the ability to have ten (rather than five) simultaneous audio conference participants. Video will be available on both PowerPC and Intel.
Which is just an artificial restriction that can be removed by patching Skype.
stratotom

2006-04-07, 11:14

Quote:
I find aMSN far too slow in general use to be useable.
You're right, but it has custom emoticons man!!
Veeoh

2006-04-08, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker

Which the man Maxxuss has circumvented.

Good man.
chucker

2006-04-08, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeoh
Which the man Maxxuss has circumvented.

Good man.
That's for Windows. His hack is also fairly pointless on the Mac: I don't know about you, but I haven't seen too many Macs lately with an AMD CPU.