Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Manual software updating

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Manual software updating
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2007-06-06, 14:00

I gave my dad an iMac for Christmas, and thus far he hasn't uploaded any updates that come through Software Update due to the fact the computer is on a dial-up connection. I told him that it is possible to download the update files on a thumb drive on a fast connection, upload said files to the iMac, then update from there, but the details I am not too clear on.

Being a neophyte on this matter, I searched this forum and found the following answers to some of my questions:
  • Most updates can be found on Apple's site; the remainder may require use of Software Update
  • Upload files to HD > Library > Packages
  • Double-click on the file to start the updating process

The remaining questions I have are these:

Does the update file remain in the Packages folder after it's done doing its thing? I understand that the process through Software Update automatically (if desired) deletes the package files.
Will a receipt automatically find its way to the Receipts folder if updating is performed manually?

Thanks for your help, and let me know if I may have missed anything.

"Virtually bursting with adequatulence."
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-06-06, 15:28

Hi there, LudwigVan. No need to be so complicated about this. Just download the required DMG file(s) from this Apple page (Option-click the link in Safari). (This is the hardest step: make sure you check very carefully which version you need, and make sure it's the latest one by scanning through the available files in reverse chronological order). Copy the file(s) to a USB drive. Copy the file(s) from the USB drive to your father's desktop. Double-click them. Install. Eject the disk image(s), delete the DMG file(s) from both your father's desktop and the USB drive, then empty the Trash.

Oh, also make sure the computer you are using to download the DMG doesn't have Safari's incredibly dumb "Open "safe" files after downloading" option enabled. If you're downloading from a Windows computer or with a browser other than Safari that won't be an issue, of course.

No need to worry about receipts or any of that stuff. Your father's Mac will deal with all the bookkeeping and next time he runs Software Update it will only suggest the stuff he needs. After installing everything you may want to run Software Update (even on dial-up) just to check you haven't forgotten to update something. If you have then drive back to civilisation to download what's still needed.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2007-06-06, 18:28

Thanks much, Dorian. I'll send this off to my dad.