User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

iPod Now Or Wait?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPod Now Or Wait?
PKfanSteph

2007-07-05, 18:43

It's taken a year but now that I have a decent computer, I've finally saved up enough money for my first iPod, a white 80 gig 5G. But now that the iPhone is out, I'm wondering if this is a bad idea. I've gotten to the point where I listen to all my music on the computer and a good chunk of it is downloaded from iTunes and eMusic. But my computer needs to be sent in for repairs soon and I'd be without my tunes for a week! I'd hoped to save a bit of money and get a refurbished one from Apple, but these have disappeared.

How likely is it that 5G accessories (except for the case, obviously) will work on the next gen iPod? I'm figuring I'll need a car charger, dock, wall charger, FM transmitter, that kind of thing and it would be horrible if I had to re-buy that stuff the next time I upgraded.

I've thought of "making due" with a refurb'ed 30 gig until the next generation is out and has a few revisions under it's belt, but that would only hold less than half of my music library. Are iPods like computers in that you should keep a third of it empty at all times? I can't do that on my 100 gig hard drive, much less an 30 gig iPod.

What do you think?

Stephanie Bargenquast,
MacBook Pro 15.4" (matte), 2.16 GHz Core Duo, 2 Gb RAM, 100 Gb HD, OSX 10.6.2
12" PowerBook G3 (WallStreet), 233 GHz, 96 Mb RAM, 2 Gb HD, MacOS 8.6
Jasoco

2007-07-05, 18:56

When the next iPod comes out, it will most likely inherit some of the features of the iPhone. No one knows (Outside of Apple and the group of employees Steve has locked in the secret building in Cupertino) what the next iPod will look like. It's been 296 days since the last update. That's a few months past the average update cycle for an iPod. So wait. Of course there's no telling exactly WHEN it'll happen. If you NEED it now, you will have to get it now, but if you can wait, by all means wait!

I myself would love an iPod that is essentially an iPhone without the phone. If a WiFi internet CoverFlow iPod came out, I would get one. I can't afford an iPhone and if I could I don't use a phone enough to need one, but an iPod with OS X, Safari and Mail and Google Maps, the same development opportunities, and CoverFlow-based iTunes music and video would be the greatest thing since the Newton. All they'd need to do is take the iPhone, remove the Phone, EDGE and VoiceMail phone centric stuff and leave us with a cheaper phoneless iPhone/iPod. As Steve said, the iPhone is "the best iPod we've ever made" which implies that the face of the iPod is changing. This is a new iPod generation. Who knows what it'll be when it is released?

All I know is the iMac, Mac mini's and iPods are all WAAAAAY overdue for updates by 300~ days each. When each is updated, it'll most definitely be some super awesome new design....
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-07-05, 22:09

I don't know. A button-less iPod would be hard to adjust to. The best thing about the iPod is that it can be operated without looking at it. The iPhone can't be. In either case, waiting will save you either a ton of money on an older iPod or get you a really cool one when the next rev comes out. Wait if possible.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-07-05, 23:41

iPods should be updated in early September. If you can wait 2 months, I definitely would.
lowcountry

2007-07-06, 10:13

Definitely wait. Try Mactactic.com to see projections on when to buy a particular model.
rasmits
rams it

2007-07-06, 10:15

You'd be silly to buy an iPod now - It's gone almost 300 days without an update and almost 600 since anything major. (The last one was just a brighter screen and bigger battery)

If you really need something to listen to music with while your computer is in repair, buy a refurb shuffle. That should tide you over until the (hopefully) soon update.

You had me at asl
Partial
Stallion

2007-07-12, 16:50

I would wait because once the new model comes out, you can get this model from the refurbished/clearance store for a HUGE discount.

The current model is awesome. I have my doubts about the practicality of a touchscreen.
PKfanSteph

2007-07-18, 18:38

Thanks everyone for the advice. I suppose the question becomes how long can I wait to get my MBP repaired? Can it survive the wait on only the right fan without damaging something? It's in A/C atop a Griffin Elevator.

I'm not that excited about adding a ton of features to the upcoming iPod. More features usually means less simplicity. I had the chance to get some hands-on time with a 5G over the weekend and I liked it quite a bit the way it is. I could definitely be happy with it, especially if I wait for the new one to come out and get the discount.

Stephanie Bargenquast,
kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-07-18, 19:20

Buy now, curse later? or curse now, buy later?

I go with the latter. Apple is working on something that is going to provide for ample cursing!
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-07-18, 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I don't know. A button-less iPod would be hard to adjust to. The best thing about the iPod is that it can be operated without looking at it. The iPhone can't be. In either case, waiting will save you either a ton of money on an older iPod or get you a really cool one when the next rev comes out. Wait if possible.
How would you select another song (except for one in the same playlist/album) without looking at the screen?
I suppose Apple could add a dedicated volume switch like they do with the iPhone.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
PKfanSteph

2007-07-18, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop View Post
How would you select another song (except for one in the same playlist/album) without looking at the screen?
I suppose Apple could add a dedicated volume switch like they do with the iPhone.
The one thing I was a bit bummed about when I did get my hands on the 5G was the lack of anything for visually impaired people such as myself. Granted, a screen reader like in OSX might be a bit much for an iPod, but an option for larger menus would've been nice--heck, the last two cell phones I've owned have had that option. The audible "click" when something new is selected is priceless. That is one of the reasons I'd be concerned about using a touch-screen iPhone or iPod. Apple has, in the past, gone *FAR* beyond most other companies in the accessibility department and I'd love to see that tradition continue.

Stephanie Bargenquast,