User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Expired trial: Filemaker Pro. Need data!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Expired trial: Filemaker Pro. Need data!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-11-29, 11:56

Help! My filemaker pro trial has run out and I can't access my data. I don't can't buy it just yet but I need to get into my data (I'm going to buy it later today but I need to be able to get in now). I tried using another user and it looks like I've got another 30 day trial there, but then I get a "general activation error" when I try to open it. Any thoughts?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-11-29, 12:03

You could look for converters that translate FileMaker data into some other format, like Excel or MySQL. But since you're planning on buying it anyway, why not right now? That would be the easiest way out of this problem, IMHO (assuming you can do it online and get a key within a few minutes).
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-11-29, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
You could look for converters that translate FileMaker data into some other format, like Excel or MySQL. But since you're planning on buying it anyway, why not right now? That would be the easiest way out of this problem, IMHO (assuming you can do it online and get a key within a few minutes).
I would if I could buy it online but it doesn't look like I can. I'm in the middle of a busy day in the office and I can't get out to buy a boxed copy of it til later. My client notes are in the database and I just let the trial lapse (installed it when I clean installed Leopard) without thinking about it. I may just need to make do until I can buy it later on.

Stupid me.

edit: It looks like I can buy a full retail copy online, but I still have an education affiliation so I was planning on buying the ed version, which isn't available online. Damn it.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-11-29, 12:12

If the worst comes to the worst, just start diagnosing hilarious conditions for all your clients.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-11-29, 12:19

Have you tried setting the date on your system back? Try setting the system date back to when you last used it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-11-29, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
Have you tried setting the date on your system back? Try setting the system date back to when you last used it.
Good idea, but no go.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-11-29, 12:31

I did a quick search, and found this: Excel X can import Filemaker Pro data, though I don't know if that invokes Filemaker (and thus won't work without a valid license). But it may worth a try. Most other conversions seem to involve exporting the data in certain formats from Filemaker first.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-11-29, 12:37

If Filemaker is anything like Access and you didn't do anything to encrypt the data, you may be able to read it in a TextEdit or hex editor.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-11-29, 12:45

What about borrowing another Mac and installing the trial?

Or installing OS X on a FireWire drive and booting from that temporarily?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-11-29, 12:53

I tried opening it up in Textmate, hoping to get something but it's a big jumble, mostly. I've got a couple of Macs at home I can use to install the trial but it's really a moot point since I'll have time to buy it when I can go home. Oh well. This'll teach me not to procrastinate buying my essential software!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-11-29, 13:25

If you're okay with sending the data to someone else…
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-11-29, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
If you're okay with sending the data to someone else…
Probably quite dangerous, and in breach of the Hippocratic oath isn't it, or at least data protection.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-11-29, 13:36

Do a Spotlight search and see what files this program may have dropped in your System or Library folders and remove those or something.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-11-29, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Probably quite dangerous, and in breach of the Hippocratic oath isn't it, or at least data protection.
Ah, I didn't think of the possibility that it's sensitive information from clients. Mea culpa.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-11-29, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I tried opening it up in Textmate, hoping to get something but it's a big jumble, mostly. I've got a couple of Macs at home I can use to install the trial but it's really a moot point since I'll have time to buy it when I can go home. Oh well. This'll teach me not to procrastinate buying my essential software!
Exactly. You should really consider turning over a new leaf.

I suggest starting tomorrow, since the day's half over. But since that's a Friday, why not wait 'till Monday to get a fresh start?

Hmmm... New Years resolution! That's the ticket!
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-11-29, 14:05

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-11-29, 14:58

Quote:

I suggest starting tomorrow, since the day's half over. But since that's a Friday, why not wait 'till Monday to get a fresh start?

31 years and a Ph.D. into my life and I still haven't learned my lesson. I agree, it will be a good New Year's resolution.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-11-29, 15:11

Quote:

Procrastinator's To Do List:

1) Aw screw it.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-11-29, 21:04

Heh - I plan on joining that club that Farenheit proposes we set up. When everyone else it is directed at gets around to it as well.

Oh yeah, btw, here's what we need to allow ourselves to start working now.

All I want is a simple life
twitter