User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Why does apple charge the same ammount for its Screen Apple care on all 3 PBs?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Why does apple charge the same ammount for its Screen Apple care on all 3 PBs?
skorsak

2005-04-24, 23:08

The screens are different sizes so shouldn't the price be a little less for the 12".

Please don't make fun of me if this sounds stupid to you.
rasmits
rams it

2005-04-24, 23:25

Or maybe... a little more for the 17"?
skorsak

2005-04-24, 23:26

that would work too :P
Kyros

2005-04-25, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorsak
that would work too :P
He's saying be happy they don't increase the price for the bigger ones. What you wish for could backfire badly in this case.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-04-25, 01:13

AppleCare covers any repairs, not just the screen. Most repairs to the 12" will require twice the labor as the same repair to the 17" due to the smaller size. Only for a screen replacement would the 17" cost significantly more, and on the average, the repair cost is probably about the same.
LAmezq3984

2005-04-25, 01:21

my iSight (the plastic attatchment)popped up of my PB screen, and the iSight hit against my screen, and scratched the screen horribly. Its like it pinched the screen in the spot where it hit, and I can see and feel the scratch. I took it to the apple store to show the guy, figuring it would be covered by applcare, and he said it was "accidental damage" or something similar, and there was nothing they could do, except order me a new screen, which is around 900.00. I'm so pissed off about it. I have no idea how long my screen is going to last like this, I keep thinking one day that the screen is going to ooze out or something, and ruin my computer. So be careful people who use iSights attatched to your PB screen!!!
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-25, 08:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmezq3984
my iSight (the plastic attatchment)popped up of my PB screen, and the iSight hit against my screen, and scratched the screen horribly. Its like it pinched the screen in the spot where it hit, and I can see and feel the scratch. I took it to the apple store to show the guy, figuring it would be covered by applcare, and he said it was "accidental damage" or something similar, and there was nothing they could do, except order me a new screen, which is around 900.00. I'm so pissed off about it. I have no idea how long my screen is going to last like this, I keep thinking one day that the screen is going to ooze out or something, and ruin my computer. So be careful people who use iSights attatched to your PB screen!!!
I somehow managed to scratch the screen on my Ti-500. It wasn't a huge scratch, somewhere between 1/8 - 1/4" long but I could see and feel it as well. It didn't adversely affect screen life as far as I know (sold the Ti after 2.5 years of use).

AppleCare only covers defects, it doesn't cover operator error. You want to get Safeware insurance for that. Covers what happened to your screen, theft, fire, liquid spillage etc., basically everything but manufacturer's defects.
powerbook911

2005-04-25, 14:23

Quote:
Wow. Sounds like it could happen to Cinema Display too? Maybe this will be a good reason to prevent me from buying isight.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-25, 14:33

Quote:
I took it to the apple store to show the guy, figuring it would be covered by applcare, and he said it was "accidental damage" or something similar, and there was nothing they could do, except order me a new screen, which is around 900.00. I'm so pissed off about it.
If you buy a new car and smash it into a tree, would you expect the dealer to give you a replacement just because you were under the manufacturer's x,000 mile warranty?

This is why people also buy insurance for their expensive notebooks. Sometimes you can even list it under your homeowner's policy.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-25, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbook911
Wow. Sounds like it could happen to Cinema Display too? Maybe this will be a good reason to prevent me from buying isight.
The Cinema Display iSight mount is affixed to the display, on the back.

The PowerBook mount is (obviously) not. It can pop off if you don't seat it firmly, or if you knock it. Also, the clamp hits the screen directly unless you mount it on the left or right edge (like I do). If you smack the iSight, the clamp could bite into the screen. Just mount it to the side, ratchet it down a notch to tighten it, and don't hit it... it's not going to just fall off then.

This wouldn't ever be an issue with a CD mount. (I have experience with both.) Don't worry about it.