Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Why G5 are hot ?
MacPanda

2005-05-08, 20:08

OK, I need explainations !

PowerBook G5 aren't existing because of heat problems
PowerMac are liquid cooled because G5 are hot
iMac G5 are HOT as HELL

Why does G5 chips are HOT compared to Intel chips/AMD ? Are they hotter than Intel 3.0 Ghz chips ?

Is it because there's more transistors in it ? Fabric process ?

(I know Apple products are HOT, but why are they BURNING hot ?)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-08, 20:16

Umm, have you ever put your hand next to a high-clocked Pentium 4 or Athlon 64 chip? Do you know how hot they get? Have you never seen the video of the guy literally cooking an egg on a makeshift pan on his AMD Athlon XP?

Sure, Apple could do what Dell et al. does and stick a regular hot desktop chip into a "slab" notebook that's 2, 3, or 4 inches thick, but that's not Apple's style.

See how thick (and generally ugly) this thing is?

Do you want the PowerBook to look like this?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
MacPanda

2005-05-08, 20:21

Yes, I know it is not the Apple design profile to do such 4inches PB.

But my question is about the fabrication of PPC G5

How long has it been introduced ?

Why it is so hot, even now, after 2 years ?

:S I wonder
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-08, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPanda
Why it is so hot, even now, after 2 years ?
I think you missed my point.

The temperatures for the G5 are not at all abnormally high, especially when compared with high-clocked P4s, Xeons, or Athlons. You might as well be asking why Intel and AMD are still running so hot because, well, they are too after all these years.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
MacPanda

2005-05-08, 20:37

Ok, now I catch the point.
G5power

2005-05-09, 09:31

Brad - where did you find the picture of the Dell laptop with the add on module?
That appears to be something like the Media base that dell offers for extended battery life and additional ports.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...tegory_id=5715

The picture you posted does not match any of the laptops that I see on the Dell website.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-09, 09:35

That's not an add-on module. That's the machine itself! The thing is so bulky that they designed the case to look like it's a separate part and that the notebook isn't so thick.

Look for the Inspiron series. It's one of the higher model numbers.

Here's one article about the 9.2-pound behemoth.

See how thick it is now?

Actually, one of the guys at the office uses one of these and, yes, it's as bulky in person as it is in the pictures.

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-05-09, 09:40

I've used one of those too. It's bulky and heavy as hell. But we needed a very fast machine for demoing an app that needed a lot of RAM, CPU, and GPU power (visualization of large scientific data sets) ...
G5power

2005-05-09, 10:26

Hmm - that is a bit of a beast.

I had looked on the Dell page and didn't see anything that matched that in appearance. On the Inspiron page currently they show a 9300 but it's more the standard thickness.

(For better or worst), I carry a Dell Latitude 600 back forth to work each day. I'm glad it's more of a standard size and weight.
holbox

2005-05-09, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad

The temperatures for the G5 are not at all abnormally high, especially when compared with high-clocked P4s, Xeons, or Athlons.

Would I be right in thinking that if this heat isn't gotten off the interior parts that it in time would ruin the machine (Make the adjoining parts and chip brittle)?

This was one of the major reasons I bought the PowerMac. Big case, several heat zones & fans, aluminum, air flow, etc.

Cramming & jamming so many parts & wires into a small space with a hot item has never made much sense to me. But then again I freely admit that computers are a wholly different world.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-05-09, 10:48

I believe the real heat issue with the G5 isn't overall heat, but the hotspots that are part of the current design. In other words, the heat output isn't evenly spread over the chip, it is concentrated in a few areas. This causes an inordinant amount of heat buildup in certain areas of the chip, preventing overall clock speedup since there would be heat failures in certain areas of the chip while other parts of the chip would still be cool.

I believe part of the 970GX design is focused on alleviating these hot zones.