A return to black in '05?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A return to black in '05?
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
gar

2004-11-13, 05:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hagan
I have been thinking "black" for awhile now. Now just to be different and to fence with the regulars here, what if the PowerBook G5 had a pleasing use of both black and silver?
NO!
please not that cheap looking combination of black and silver/aluminium, used on almost every windows based laptop. it's ugly. the looks are so corporate-bussiness-chique.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-11-13, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gar
NO!
please not that cheap looking combination of black and silver/aluminium, used on almost every windows based laptop. it's ugly. the looks are so corporate-bussiness-chique.
I agree. Yet another reason that I like the aluminum look so much. It's so different, and that's so Apple.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-13, 13:38

It should not be different for the sake of being different, which is where Apple was going in design for some time. Now, their minimalist approach seems to be a massive success, and they should stick to that. Minimalism would work with black too though.

There's nothing wrong with having a sleek black PowerBook.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-13, 14:15

Looks kinda cool, minus the two-toned areas.
applenut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-11-13, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
That's your opinion, nothing more. Others might share it, but I'm guessing plenty more like the clean, "goes with anything" look of it. Otherwise there would be this HUGE outcry of reviewers, customers, Macworld, Walt Mossberg and David Pogue types, artists, writers, etc. slamming Apple from every angle over this dreaded white plastic look, and demanding a change.

I don't see that happening, and in every review I read of consumer Apple gear I don't recall the white plastic EVER coming up as a negative or "con". If anything, most reviews and articles comment on how nice, clean and modern it looks.

What would you suggest for the consumer line (be serious...I'm genuinely curious)? Black? Gray? Platinum/beige? A return to colors? Clear acrylic? Graphite? Dark IBM blue? Earthy tones?

that's your opinion. nothing more.

you're reasoning for maintaining the white plastic look is ridicuously weak however. why would there by public outcry? even with the white plastic Apple's products design wise blow everything away. It's hard to be critical when there is nothing else better. That doesn't mean the design is at its best though. Walter Mossberg, David Pogue? These two guys would give Apple shit-kabobs 5 stars. I really don't care what they think of products because they are bias in every piece of writing they produce and are no better than the fan boys on this site and others.

As it is, I have seen the white plastic brought up as a negative, especially in regards to the iBook and the last iMac. Especially when Apple switched the iBook to that opaque shit.

As for what they should do..... I think offering color choices again would be very successful. Apple is a boutique company, I don't understand why they dont offer more customization/options on their store site. Or special editions. If they wanted to go a standard color I think the new iMac would look outstanding in a sleek silver/graphite look or deep blue or just a glossy black. I think a darker color would also help reduce the chin's in your face appearance.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-13, 15:50

I agree with Applenut.
Dave Hagan

2004-11-13, 16:02

Trains of thought.

1. I'll bet that the aluminum PowerBook design was the original design for the PowerBook G4 series, but was canned in favor of the Titanium design, and;
2. The aluminum PowerBook design is a stop-gap design.

The Titanium PowerBook G4 was more expensive to produce than the current aluminum-clad PowerBooks. But there were several glitches with the Titaniums (peeling paint, bad hinges). I recall an article following the Titanium PowerBook G4 introduction where Steve Jobs insisted black for the the new Titanium PowerBook G4, but engineering said that was going to be problematic.

(Alas, we now know just how ugly that situation might have been.)

So I think that when PowerBook G5s finally get introduced to the world, they will be as different from the current PowerBook G4s, as the PowerBook G3 Pismo was as different from the Titanium PowerBook G4.
Dave Hagan

2004-11-13, 16:15

IMO, the above pictured Sony S260 notebook isn't bad looking as Windows notebooks go. Don't you think that Apple could improve on it in an Apple way? Surely there's no question in my mind! I would forsee the keyboard and enclosure inversely presented with a black enclosure inside and silverish keys. I think an all silver enclosure is too distracting from a form over function standpoint, and I think Steve Jobs knows it.
psgamer0921

2004-11-13, 21:02

I think Apple could do a better black than the PC companies, but personally, I'd kind of like a black Powerbook or iMac...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-11-13, 22:13

That colorware version that M'tosh posted is not too bad. The black bezel helps frame the screen and offers a greater contrast to the eye. Although, I could see the casing showing scratch marks quite easily.

As for the naysayers about black/silver, the key words in Dave Hagan's post were a "pleasing use of both black and silver." What this is - though - is up to the beholder.

Truthfully, though, I'd probably buy whatever Apple puts out when it is time to buy a PowerBook again as, quite simply, it is the only game in town.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-11-13, 22:43

My biggest beef with the white finish isn't the color. White isn't any cheaper looking inherently than any other color. It can even look very pricey. It depends on the quality of the materials and especially how well they last, not so much whether one color (or lack thereof) has connotations of looking cheap. Apple could put out a beige iBook and still make it look a LOT better than the so-called "beige" PCs out there.

The one thing I would change with the various Apple products is their tendency to pick up fingerprints and scratches because they are so glossy. On the other hand, something that is too textured, like the old IBM keyboard plastics, picks up dirt over time that can't be cleaned off. A satin or smooth matte finish is preferable IMO. I don't worry about whether Apple uses metal or plastic for their cases really either. Apple knows plastics inside and out, and not all plastics are created the same. I mean, the power cord for my iMac is drop-dead sexy compared to almost any PC case.
rasmits
rams it

2004-11-14, 03:26

I don't really understand the sudden departure from colorful computers, I liked it. A return to transparents or colors, at leased with the consumer line, would go over well I think.

I don't have a problem with the white, but they've been white for a while. We've just been so spoiled with an ever-changing look that we think every time they come out with a new computer, it'll have some wacky new color scheme. Maybe they'll settle on the look they have.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-14, 04:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
I don't really understand the sudden departure from colorful computers, I liked it.
One word: overkill.

Everybody jumped on the colored plastic bandwagon. Not only were PC-makers selling boxes with cheap, bright plastic panels, you could even get household appliances like irons in the white and bondi blue colors.

IMHO, Apple was smart to jump out of that while it could. It's good to shake up designs every once in a while, but it's also good to more on before people get sick of any one style. That said, Apple may well return to making more colored products in the future (like the iPod Mini), but I doubt it'll happen very soon. With the new G5s, I think Apple is trying to sell its products as being powerful, not necessarily cute and friendly.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-11-14, 10:16

Yes. Apple got slammed with the whole "it looks like a toy" thing for a while. People - idiotic people who never bothered to look past the surface - just saw a green or orange jellybean and immediately assumed the iMac wasn't a "serious computer". Right or wrong, Apple probably tired of that. And, as Brad says, fads and trends come and go, and by 2001, you couldn't swing a dead cat at Target or your local office superstore and not hit blue translucent staplers or orange, curvy see-through lamps or rainbow-hued George Foreman grills.

And the whole PC take on the thing was fairly disgusting and amusing, both at the same time...
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-14, 11:04

And yet the iPod mini proves there is a massive market for colorful tech gadgets still.

Apple would be wise to extend the color scheme idea (with aluminum or something so obviously not cheap) to their iproducts.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
colonelforbin

2004-11-14, 11:25

that black powerbook didn't look too bad... but i don't know, i think i like matte black more than glossy. maybe matte black with the apple logo and the text "powerbook g-whatever" in gloss black.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-11-14, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiahtosh
And yet the iPod mini proves there is a massive market for colorful tech gadgets still.

Apple would be wise to extend the color scheme idea (with aluminum or something so obviously not cheap) to their iproducts.
And yet it took several years and it's only one small segment of their line-up. I don't think you compare 2004 and the iPod mini to four years ago, and the whole curvy, translucent color craze, can you?

I think the iPod mini would've sold it it only came in silver and white. The colors are certainly nice, but I don't think people are going to drop $249 just because something is green. It's an iPod first. It's small, cute and colorful second.

On a related note, AppleInsider seems to be pretty sure on Flash-based iPods coming at MWSF.
¡Damned!

2004-11-14, 12:37

Quote:
The colors are certainly nice, but I don't think people are going to drop $249 just because something is green.
Now, orange on the other hand...
rasmits
rams it

2004-11-14, 15:32

Quote:
On a related note, AppleInsider seems to be pretty sure on Flash-based iPods coming at MWSF.
No way... Really? That just seems odd with all the talk that no one uses flash players. That they throw them in the drawer and buy an iPod...

But I understand that they'd want to penetrate every corner of the mp3 player market. Sell it while it's hot.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-14, 15:39

Quote:
What pscates said.

Plus, it doesn't cost nearly as much to keep a supply of each color of iPod in stock versus whole computers.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-11-14, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
My biggest beef with the white finish isn't the color. ...
The one thing I would change with the various Apple products is their tendency to pick up fingerprints and scratches because they are so glossy. ... A satin or smooth matte finish is preferable IMO.
I agree. Wish the iBook was a bit less glossy.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-14, 16:57

And the iPod socks are also colorful...slowly but surely my man.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-11-14, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
One word: overkill.
I have a slightly different word, more marketing-speak really: differentiation. I mean, you're right that the market was over-saturated with imac knock offs that used cheapo materials and colors, but Apple couldn't differentiate its products with color in that environment.

rasmits: I love repeating (well, paraphrasing) a line from Robert X. Cringley of PBS: Steve Jobs is absolutely sure of something right up until the moment he changes his mind.
applenut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-11-14, 22:37

Quote:
I think the iPod mini would've sold it it only came in silver and white. The colors are certainly nice, but I don't think people are going to drop $249 just because something is green. It's an iPod first. It's small, cute and colorful second.
actually, I think the choice in colors is a HUGE part of the iPod mini's success. To suggest otherwise is a huge oversight. The choice of colors is the biggest decision when buying an iPod mini. The range of colors is the biggest attraction. Girls immediately want the pink or green one. People who dont really have a need for one or would not have bought one get attracted by the color. I've seen it happen dozens of times just with my friends. My girlfriend is dying for a green one. She saw her friend's powerbook g4 12 inch which had been painted pink. She wants one. I told her it costs a couple hundred dollars more to get it painted from a third party company. She didn't care. "it's too cute".

Design sells. Apple is all about the form....many times over function.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-14, 22:52

Once again, I agree with Applenut.

I think as long as Apple can manage the inventory, they should offer as many customizable options as possible, or charge more money for colors. Some small fee, say $50 to $100 for a customized color that's different from the standard white or aluminum-silver.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-11-15, 05:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by applenut
The choice of colors is the biggest decision when buying an iPod mini.
It's the only decision.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-11-15, 06:57

Hey.... Did any of you see the stuff about Apple patenting a chameleon style casing... That was around in rumours over 18 months ago....

Now that would be ../think/look/different... No idea how it is planning to work other than with some kind of thin film technology... but it would put everyone back on their heels again!!

linky

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2004-11-15 at 06:59. Reason: added linky!
Thekp4a

2004-11-15, 07:04

Carbon fiber would be cool. I think Apple might continue to push the ipod image to the mac and go with anodizing.

KP4A
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-11-15, 09:17

Quote:
Once again, I agree with Applenut.
Once again, I wouldn't go around saying that out loud.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2004-11-15, 09:23

Once again...Uhm, nevermind, I've got nothin'. lol