User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

The Be-All, End-All discussion on LCD monitors and LCD panel types.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Be-All, End-All discussion on LCD monitors and LCD panel types.
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2013-10-03, 12:36

That's the thing, I haven't seriously looked at monitors for three or four years. I know AnandTech used to do good monitor reviews, but I'm not sure how often, or what types of panels, they look at these days. Here is a link to their display info page, maybe that will be helpful?
¡Damned!

2013-10-03, 12:45

I've had great luck with Dell monitors. They're not sexy or anything, but they do the job and last forever (ime).

This one is a newer model and still under 300. The stand is a bit wonky from a side view, but whatever.

For nearly every monitor at this price you're going to need a MDP>DVI adapter. You could probably find something cheaper at Monoprice, but for something so (relatively) inexpensive I generally stick with brand names (in case it's wonked I can just run to the nearest Apple Store).

Monoprice ftmfw otherwise.

* An aside: we need more thread necromancy like this one. Tech is one thing we're all passionate about and can have lively discussion.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2013-10-03 at 12:56.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2013-10-03, 13:48

If you're willing to spend a little more you can go with a 27" IPS LED Display from Monoprice. I haven't used one personally, but I've heard pretty good things and read pretty decent reviews. It's one of the best prices you can get on a 27" IPS LED display. Plus they have DVI input which is far superior to VGA.

There's also the Dell U2412m (Link is to a Wirecutter review...also, Wirecutter is a great site for reviews.) It's $265 on Amazon right now, it's an IPS display, and Dell displays have always been pretty highly regarded.

Come waste your time with me
¡Damned!

2013-10-03, 14:07

I didn't think to talk about the Monoprice monitors, but yeah, they're pretty much universally acclaimed. A tich more than what you want to spend, but great deals.

*Note: I do not work for and am not affiliated with Monoprice. I just like them.

So it goes.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2013-10-03, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
*Note: I do not work for and am not affiliated with Monoprice. I just like them.
Anyone who doesn't or won't buy from Monoprice is foolish. I understand pausing before spending $400 on an item from their site, but for something like an HDMI cable, you'd be stupid to shop anywhere else.

I was already sold on Monoprice, but a few years ago I ordered a FW800 cable from them, received it, and it didn't work. They overnighted me another one and told me just to discard the bad cable, no need to send it back. Can't beat the prices, can't beat the customer service. [/ot]

Sometimes it's worth it to spend the extra money now for a better experience later. No one has ever bitched about having a too large and too nice display. If you can come close to hacking it, go for the larger display, you'll thank yourself later.

Come waste your time with me
AWR
Veteran Member

2013-10-04, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I've had great luck with Dell monitors. They're not sexy or anything, but they do the job and last forever (ime).

This one is a newer model and still under 300. The stand is a bit wonky from a side view, but whatever.

For nearly every monitor at this price you're going to need a MDP>DVI adapter. You could probably find something cheaper at Monoprice, but for something so (relatively) inexpensive I generally stick with brand names (in case it's wonked I can just run to the nearest Apple Store).

Monoprice ftmfw otherwise.

* An aside: we need more thread necromancy like this one. Tech is one thing we're all passionate about and can have lively discussion.
Ah, perfect, thanks guys. I've had a good experience with a Dell too. Gave it to my brother-in-law after getting an iMac G5 in 2005 (it was three years old by then) and he still uses it. Between the one linked by DMBand0026 and this one the price difference for me is twenty bucks. I'll look at the reviews tonight, but at the moment assume the newer model is a good bet for that difference.

Thanks also for the scoop on Monoprice (what a name!). Wish it was closer.

Apple store price here: Adaptateur Mini DisplayPort vers DVI

CHF 32.00 (that's 35 bucks!); Mono has it for 14.

Thanks again all.