Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

'Vertical' blog building

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
'Vertical' blog building
Frank777
Veteran Member

2018-02-12, 17:52

I'm not sure if "vertical" is the right qualifier, but I need to set up a media blog that uses the up-and-down navigation style traditionally used by tech blogs like Engadget and Gizmodo.

Anyone have any suggestions on a web host that can deliver on this? Does Wordpress do this?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2018-02-13, 05:12

There are Wordpress themes that can do that.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-02-13, 07:19

I feel like I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "up-and-down navigation style" — isn't that how all blogs tend to work? Do you mean 'infinite scrolling', i.e. fetching additional entries when you scroll down?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2018-02-13, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I feel like I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "up-and-down navigation style" — isn't that how all blogs tend to work? Do you mean 'infinite scrolling', i.e. fetching additional entries when you scroll down?
Yes, Infinite Scrolling is a part of it (though the feature can be annoying at times.)

I was thinking the other day that a lot of the media sites I seem to enjoy lately have a more modern, cleaner look to them than a usual Wordpress site. Gizmodo/Jalopnik, Engadget, BlogTO, NewAtlas, The Verge etc. (Not all of those have IS, but you get my point.)

Just wondering what they use to build sites like those so I can pester my web guy.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-02-14, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
Yes, Infinite Scrolling is a part of it (though the feature can be annoying at times.)
Indeed. It really turns me off on Quartz. I explicitly want to focus on one article, not “discover” how many more there are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I was thinking the other day that a lot of the media sites I seem to enjoy lately have a more modern, cleaner look to them than a usual Wordpress site. Gizmodo/Jalopnik, Engadget, BlogTO, NewAtlas, The Verge etc. (Not all of those have IS, but you get my point.)

Just wondering what they use to build sites like those so I can pester my web guy.
Right… Gizmodo Media Group (Jalopnik, The Onion, etc.) has its own proprietary CMS called Kinja, so that’s not an option — but you can look around for WordPress themes that imitate it.

More generally, you want to browse a little. Maybe this one strikes your fancy? https://templatic.com/wordpress-maga...emes/newstime/
Frank777
Veteran Member

2018-02-14, 22:11

Thanks!