Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Craigslist etiquette when selling electronics

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Craigslist etiquette when selling electronics
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-10-31, 13:25

I'm trying to sell my girlfriend's Wii on Craigslist. Finally found someone who seems interested in it, but he wants to test it out before he buys it. That's a problem because I don't really want to invite him into my apartment, nor do I want to go to his (and he's in a town 60 miles away). I always prefer to make Craigslist transactions at neutral, public locations. But wanting to test it is a valid concern, and you can't really do that in a parking lot (unless someone has a portable TV).

In this case, we decided not to sell it to him, but if this comes up again, what should I do? It would probably help if they weren't so far away, but how am I supposed to make sure the buyer knows it's working properly while also keeping myself safe?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-10-31, 13:35

It's a tough call but you've gotta respect your needs. I've sold a bazillion things on craigslist and only once did I have someone come to my house - for an iMac. Just pass until you find someone who's willing to trust you; it's not like Wiis are all that difficult to sell. Hell, I sold an Xbox 360 without having the person look at it first. If I can do that, I'm sure you can sell a Wii.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-10-31, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
It's a tough call but you've gotta respect your needs. I've sold a bazillion things on craigslist and only once did I have someone come to my house - for an iMac. Just pass until you find someone who's willing to trust you; it's not like Wiis are all that difficult to sell. Hell, I sold an Xbox 360 without having the person look at it first. If I can do that, I'm sure you can sell a Wii.
Really?

I've always had people come to my house.... or I've gone to them. I've done probably 20-30 craigslist transactions too. Never heard of this meeting at a "neutral" location, if anything that would be very sketchy to me.

I wouldn't buy your Wii if I couldn't try it out first either.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-31, 16:26

What's so sketchy about a neutral location? I don't need strangers knowing where or how I live...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-31, 16:57

I've done it both ways.

Over the course of a few e-mails or phone conversations, you can usually get a decent read on someone. I've sold a few tech items, and if the prospective buyer and I have gone back a few times and I get the sense that they're savvy, know what they're talking about, ask smart, relevant questions, etc., I feel pretty good about them. But if someone acts all lame, shady or evasive in e-mails or on the phone, I'll assume they're up to no good or they're just looking to waste my time (plenty of those types on CraigsList). In either case, they're not coming to my home.

You know when you're on the other end of one of those conversations. Your gut and a little common sense tells you what's what.

I prefer the neutral location for any small items (a busy grocery store or Walgreens parking lot a mile or so from my house is where I often meet folks), but on a couple of occasions, I've sold things from here. But it was only because I felt okay and comfortable with the person, based on their demeanor and personality (yeah, I know...Ted Bundy was a charming fella too...I realize that's not a carved-in-stone way to go about it all).

It's a case-by-case deal, as are most things in life. That first impression (or second and third, etc.) goes a really long way. If you're an inarticulate, marble-mouthed jackass on the phone (and come across like a clueless dolt who isn't asking the "right" questions regarding the item being sold), right or wrong, I'm forming an impression and opinion ("hmmm...he doesn't seem interested in the item at all, but he's sure eager to come over and see it..."). And if you're doing the above with a side-order of shady, thuggish vibe, then you're definitely not coming to my home. I've had people flat out ask me my address, when I'm home (work hours), etc. based on nothing...before we've even greeted each other or talked about the item for sale. That kinda gives me the creeps!

Why don't I just leave a key in the front door for them, and make their entry a little easier?

It's all in how people present themselves, and come across. It ain't rocket science.

That being said, I meet all musicians (if I'm selling something in field) at neutral locations because everyone knows what sketchy lowlifes they can be.

The only way a neutral location could be "sketchy" is if you're doing a "Miami Vice"-type of meeting at 2:00am in an abandoned warehouse by the docks. A grocery store or pharmacy parking lot, on a busy road, at 4:30 in the afternoon isn't "sketchy"...it's probably good sense. They feel comfortable and safe, and I feel the same.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-10-31, 17:36

When I sold my Xbox back in 2005, I let the person come over to test it out to verify that it worked. Granted, he had an email address indicating he worked for the World Bank (and he had a profile on their website), so it made me feel less sketched out about letting him into my apartment. That's kind of the thing that sucks about selling consoles...as a buyer, it makes sense he would want to make sure it works before purchasing it. On the other hand, I see where you're coming from with not wanting to let him come into your apartment.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-10-31, 18:15

Well, you had a good situation. Knowing that (his e-mail, company profile, etc.), I'd feel okay about that.

You could always e-mail or call a friend before he came over and say "this guy's coming to look at my xBox...here's all his info."

On the off-chance something weird or bad did happen, the police have somewhere to start.

Seriously, I've done that. Even on the people I feel good about, I'll still e-mail my Dad and maybe a nearby friend to let them know what's up.

"This guy is coming over at 3:00...here's his name, e-mail address and phone number. Just in case he turns out to be a Patrick Bateman or something".

Just safe, and extra, easy layer of backup/butt-covering. Makes sense that you not be the only person aware of this transaction (and, chances are, he's done the same thing on his end).

"I'm going to this guy's house to buy a hard drive. His name is Paul, and here's his e-mail, address and phone number. If you don't hear from me by 3:30, send the cops".

Being that I'm not a psycho killer, I don't mind the idea of someone doing that.

Just means they're cautious, aware and pragmatic. Like me.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-10-31, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
What's so sketchy about a neutral location? I don't need strangers knowing where or how I live...
It's just weird.... very untrusting.... and it also would make me question whether what you were selling was legit and/or operable in the case of the Wii.

Like I said... I use craigslist very often and have never had a single instance of someone even suggesting a neutral location... nor had it even occurred to me before this thread.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-31, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Like I said... I use craigslist very often and have never had a single instance of someone even suggesting a neutral location... nor had it even occurred to me before this thread.
That really is bizarre because even craigslist suggests meeting at public places - and always has.
scrouds

2009-10-31, 21:24

I can't say I've dealt much at all on craigslist.

The one time I bought a crt monitor I drove over to the guys house, we plugged it in, powered on, and that was that.

The other big use I use it for is finding an apartment, and that I've always met the person at the unit, or gotten the address to check out the place on my own.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-11-01, 08:59

Nine times out of ten we'll just meet at the starbucks down the road or at the mall. I always suggest it and no one seems to mind. It's easier to find and we both feel better knowing we're in a public place. As I said if someone's not comfortable with that, they move on. There's always another buyer.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-11-01, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
It's just weird.... very untrusting.... and it also would make me question whether what you were selling was legit and/or operable in the case of the Wii.

The trust thing goes both ways. Just like we can pick out someone trustworthy over email, the other party can, too. I don't think I've ever come across as sketchy even though I've never suggested meeting at my house.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-11-01, 10:08

Exactly.

Put yourself in the other person's shoes (assuming they're not a sketchy lowlife): I'm sure the average joe would have no problem with a Starbucks meet-up because, if they're a good, decent person, they might be wondering if you're some sort of creep or thug.

Suggesting that we meet at some friendly, open place like a Starbucks should convey some good, reassuring vibes to the buyer. Always exceptions of course (based on what it is you're selling...I can't very well haul a riding lawnmower to Starbucks), but, on balance, it's always gone better that way. And I've never had anyone balk or complain, or say it was odd.

On the flip-side, if I'm buying something, I'm not nuts about going to some stranger's house myself. I'd much rather meet up in some neutral spot too. And if the seller brought it up first, I'd think "cool...he sees all this the way I do."

I wouldn't think..."uh-oh, he's up to no good, wanting to meet at a coffee shop in the middle of the afternoon! God only knows what might happen..."

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-11-01, 10:13

There was one time I went out to a buyer's house to set up the particular device I was selling. I think it was a PS3, I can't remember. Anyway, I drove out there because he wanted to see it working (understandable) and I didn't want him at my house. I figured in the middle of the day, with my wife knowing the address, I'd be safe. It was fine except that I got to witness something I hope I never need to see again - a 4 year-old playing Call of Duty 4. I mean, really, there are *some* limits a parent should set on a child, right?

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-11-01, 10:21

My daughter just started Resident Evil 5.... she just turned 1 year old
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2009-11-01, 10:28

If it's something you need to plug in and test (such as the Wii), maybe you could try to arrange something at a local community centre or church? It's a bit of stretch, but they may be open to letting use an room with an outlet.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-11-01, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
There was one time I went out to a buyer's house to set up the particular device I was selling. I think it was a PS3, I can't remember. Anyway, I drove out there because he wanted to see it working (understandable) and I didn't want him at my house. I figured in the middle of the day, with my wife knowing the address, I'd be safe. It was fine except that I got to witness something I hope I never need to see again - a 4 year-old playing Call of Duty 4. I mean, really, there are *some* limits a parent should set on a child, right?
Yes.

But, you know, apparently there's no harm or effects from such a thing. Kids and teens are able to - according to all the geeky eggheads and gaming hounds - wallow in that shit for hours a day and not take anything bad from it. It's not like it desensitizes them to violence or suffering, or amps up any bloodlust or "hmmm...what do the guts of a cat look like?" curiosity. No, not at all. Of course not!

So you're just overreacting.

It's actually sad (and terrifying) what some parents blithely expose their kids to, with no forethought or sense of "is this really cool and smart?"

I'm guessing those are the little bastards who eventually grow up, knock on my door at Halloween at 17 years of age, wearing no costume (with a distinct air of "you'll fork over that Three Musketeers if you don't want dog shit all over your porch". See? It's all connected.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-11-01, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
But, you know, apparently there's no harm or effects from such a thing. Kids and teens are able to - according to all the geeky eggheads and gaming hounds - wallow in that shit for hours a day and not take anything bad from it. It's not like it desensitizes them to violence or suffering, or amps up any bloodlust or "hmmm...what do the guts of a cat look like?" curiosity. No, not at all. Of course not!
Heh, I know just what you're saying, but I think if you filter out the extreme viewpoints on each side, most reasonable gamers believe that there's just a double standard with video games, partly because non-gamers still think that video games are only for kids.

I mean, movies can show all sorts of bloody violence and get a PG-13 rating, which means any teenager can go see them, but that same level of (much less realistic) violence in a video game causes the "save the children" crew to get up in arms. Have you seen "Taken"? That's a pretty hardcore movie for PG-13 but a similarly violent game would cause controversy. And don't even get into sexual content. The game "Mass Effect," which is rated M (17+, just like R), had a decidedly PG-13 sex scene (some sideboob), but the mainstream media wrongly described it as graphic sexual content (later, the reporter who made that claim had to issue a retraction, admitting she never even watched the scene in question).

I am all for parents controlling what their kids watch and play. I like that the ESRB rates games in an easy-to-understand way, with essentially the same breakpoints as the MPAA (E = G, E10 = PG, T = PG-13, M = R). What offends me is that there are all sorts of people who have absolutely no idea what they're talking about with video games and assume they're all being played by children. Actually, the same thing happens with anime. I'm not an anime watcher, but a lot of people who aren't in the know assume that because they are cartoons rather than live action, they're all meant for kids. Some anime is for children but a lot isn't suitable at all.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2009-11-02, 09:30

FWIW, on the original topic, I've done it all three ways: gone to them (to buy), they come to us (to buy) and met in a neutral location. I only do the neutral location if the other party is a woman by herself or if I'm by myself. If my wife is with me and it's not too far, we'll go to the other person's place. If the other person brings others with them, they can come to us. Basic rule is never be by yourself if you can help it, and if you can't then meet in a busy place. Always do it in the daytime too if it can be done that way.
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2009-11-02, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
If it's something you need to plug in and test (such as the Wii), maybe you could try to arrange something at a local community centre or church? It's a bit of stretch, but they may be open to letting use an room with an outlet.
When I read the first post I was thinking to suggest something like this.

Thinking about it further, perhaps someone could suggest to craigslist that they set up or arrange neutral locations around the cities they cater too. All they would really need is some desks, power, perhaps a couple of donated CRT televisions or monitors set up.

There's probably a few businesses that would have space and wouldn't mind the extra traffic, hobby stores, game stores, movie rental places, or even coffee shops. Craigslist could add a feature like, find nearest neutral location, or best location between you. That sort of thing.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-11-02, 11:19

I learned last night that she has a Target warranty plan on the Wii, so assuming a buyer could check its status over the phone or something, it might not be necessary to test it out first. I amended the CL ad to include that information. Hopefully we get another person who's interested. Too bad Wiis aren't popular anymore. Six months ago when she considered selling it, she was getting all sorts of offers and ultimately decided to keep it. Now we have gotten hardly anything (one response in a whole week).
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-11-02, 11:37

Power inverter (for 120VAC in car) and portable LCD. Problem solved.