AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Skyranch

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Skyranch
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-06-21, 00:53

Fascinating things happen when you do surveys of the skyranch. I get a measure of the internal longest dimensions as 252*253, which is striking in that it should be 250*254 (the walls should remove 2 in each dimension which was 'planned' to be 252*256). This of course means nothing unless you are trying to cram a 256*256 terrain into that area. Nevertheless, mistakes are bound to happen in following the precise terrain guide, and some blocks will certainly be neglected adding a human element to a computer generated surface...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-06-21, 10:11

Have you calculated the volume of the terrain you generated? How many kiloblocks of dirt are you going to need to fill that area? 200kb? 400kb??
¡Damned!

2011-06-21, 10:19

There's got to be a way to get the plans in a form where others could use them. I wouldn't mind helping out whenever I'm in procrastination mode (which is a lot lately).

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-06-21, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Have you calculated the volume of the terrain you generated? How many kiloblocks of dirt are you going to need to fill that area? 200kb? 400kb??
Well... It would have been closer to 400 kb, but 709 suggested making it hollow, which is the current plan -- the surface will be 3 layers thick -- 2 dirt, 1 smooth stone. And I have more than enough resources for that. This is one of the reasons why I wanted you to test whether an electrified creeper can go through more than one stone block -- if it could I was going to double up the thickness of the surface stone; as is, with the mapping I am about to describe, repairs will be relatively 'easy.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
There's got to be a way to get the plans in a form where others could use them. I wouldn't mind helping out whenever I'm in procrastination mode (which is a lot lately).
I will work on that tonight -- I am going to convert my coordinate system into minecraft coordinates so you can quickly get a reference to where you are and what height the material should be. I think that that will help a lot, and then I can share the file somehow... Of course, if anyone wants to work on it, plan for a very small number of mistakes to address the cramming problem.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-06-21, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
then I can share the file somehow...
If it's a spreadsheet, public share via Google Docs could work.
¡Damned!

2011-06-21, 12:15

Any way you can create top-down visuals of each level (ala your post in the other thread)? I could try putting together a topographical map... it would be easier for me anyways to work off of a visual chart instead of coords.

[edit]: This should probably all go into a self-contained "Skyranch" thread. It's big enough that it warrants it.

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-06-21, 17:14

709 can you open ai files?

I will try to make a document in which each layer is a separate height...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-06-21, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
[edit]: This should probably all go into a self-contained "Skyranch" thread.
I tells yous. This 709 guy? All thems idears he got? Got upper management written ALL over 'im.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-06-21, 21:20

Alrights...

Files, files, files... Get your files here:

Excel Spreadsheet of Height of Stone layer (standing on the layer)

CS4 Illustrator file where layers of ranch are separated as grouped paths

Legacy Illustrator file

Skyranch by billybobsky, on Flickr

Edit: For anyone helping and using the numbers found in the files for heights, the absolute lowest point on the ranch as is read in the debug screen is 106, so ignore any blocks below and including 106 as the dirt layer height will be adjusted to make things work. I am loading up chests on the top of the ranch with stone that should be just more than enough to cover the ranch in one layer of stone...

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-06-21 at 21:53.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-06-21, 21:37

OH. MY. GOSH.

wowzers!!!

There goes the rest of BB's year....

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-06-21, 21:53

indeed.
¡Damned!

2011-06-22, 10:24

This'll be a snap.

The ai file is perfect. Thanks!

[edit]: This is including the outer wall, right? So 256 tall (N-S) by 253 wide?

[edit2]: Wait, that's not right. Your skyranch is 256x253, but this is 256x256, right? Don't make me count these squares.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2011-06-22 at 11:00.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-06-22, 12:12

Right, this is 256x256... The ranch is smaller than that -- this is more a strong guideline than an absolute point by point set of directions, so if you encounter resistance in the form of not having enough space, just artfully ignore it... I wasn't really thinking about the exact scale of the ranch when making the mask for my generated terrain...
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-06-22, 17:20

hmm... coordinates are a bitch... the excel file coordinates are all well and good except when they are wrong, because I am an idiot and notch's coordinates number from the edge of a block, there are effectively 2 "0's" -- a +0 and a -0. Of course my numbering scheme only takes into consideration integers when it should have been in parts... Let me correct the file and re-up it...
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-06-22, 19:36

Also: to anyone volunteering efforts on the ranch, the excel spreadsheet and ai documents are most accurate on the western and northern edges getting less so as you move away... I have tried to mitigate the most severe part of this which was at the entrance by improvising the surface there...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-06-22, 21:08

BTW, I happened to die on your ranch the other day.

I didn't realize your walls on the edge were built so I used my wand to get me to your ranch and ran to the communal trap. I fell to my death on your grass...

At least I was close to spawn.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-06-23, 08:19

Holy shit, 709... Amazing work, thanks a ton!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-06-23, 08:45

Hey, I helped!! Tell him, 709.

¡Damned!

2011-06-23, 10:38

No problem. I figured the contours were the way to go for me last night since I wasn't packing a lot of torches. Working center outwards seemed to work out pretty well; I was consistently one block shy at the S end, so that's good. Only to the dark green though. On to the olive and beyond later.

Drew was essential in making sure each block held, by standing on every one as I laid it.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-06-23, 13:03

Skillz: I haz them.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-06-23, 14:36

Gotta tamp 'em down. Dont want them shifting on you when you walk away.
¡Damned!

2011-06-23, 16:38

Knocked out 2 more contours while I was rendering, though you may want to light them up a bit better. I have to hit the road in a few minutes but I'll be back on later tonight. Honestly, this kind of thing is fun for me to do. Gives me a chance to think about my next project while still being productive.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-06-24, 01:03

After helping 709 a bit more I went and made a viewing platform... problem was, I couldn't go up as high as I wanted to go because I hit the 128 "roof of the world"... if you're online and want to observe the strange curves taking shape at skyranch just warp over to: -36 128 -238

Excelsior!!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
¡Damned!

2011-06-24, 14:58

wine + contour building = certain death
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-06-27, 10:11

Alas: With 709's robotic sensibilities, Brad's magical gravel dropping ability, and my general lack of concern for the wellbeing of my avatar, the Skyranch surface is done. Make note: it is not lit up there so do not visit it during the night or near dusk/after dawn. The mobs, they start showing up pretty much the instant it gets dark enough. I will light the ranch this week using a tighter grid than the surfaces below to account for the rises on the hills, but until then, tread lightly.

I am going to take a break after this from further development of the ranch -- I need some resources, and I'd really like to blow some shit up.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-06-28, 00:17

Did you remove the flat surface from underneath or are there "caverns" below? I suppose I owe you a fuller explanation of the disappointment I voiced earlier in regard to the main construction ending on that project.

You see, there's a phenomenon with the construction of buildings in which the half-built skeleton of the structure is FAR more compelling than the final, full-clad form. THIS is what I have experienced with Mount Floaty. It was FAR more interesting and compelling as a series of meandering whirls and whorls in space... and even if it has achieved its intended function it doesn't hold the same imagination tweaking wonder that it did a few days ago when I was helping Grey tamp down blocks.

I was a tamper on'er.

(Just remember that the next time you talk to your wife/girlfriend/best girlfriend.)

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-06-28, 00:25

There is a space below... It will be filled with all sorts of wonders: a small cave system, basement from the two houses including a bit of grassy area for controlled ranching, some hallways, and perhaps a strip club...