Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Wallstreet RAM

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wallstreet RAM
propellerhead

Send a message via AIM to propellerhead  
2004-06-19, 00:30

Can I stick 2 low profile DIMMs (each 256MB) into a stock Wallstreet and have the system recognize 512MB?

Since the Wallstreet is so old, I'm going to move to Yellow Dog Linux instead of staying with OS 8.6.

It should be a fun experiment.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-06-19, 00:52

Yellow dog will run fine with around 128 megs or so... you don't need much. . . but if you want 512, Linux will be more then happy to use it.

I was using YDL with 64 for a bit... yes there was swap usage, but not that much. . .

Oh I also tweaked the startup scripts so it would not load extra junk that I did not need. (mostly deamons and servers I knew I would never need.)

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
propellerhead

2004-06-19, 00:56

Hmmm...thanks for the pointers.

My dad runs RHL 9 on his x86 tower and hopefully he'll be able to help me with YDL on the Wallstreet.

But don't be surprised if I PM you a few more questions over the next few days.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-06-19, 01:10

Well looking at YDL's support page under hardware support. . .

Wallstreet will have to use a frame buffer... no 2D/3D accel.
It also requires Bootx to boot into linux... which IIRC means you need to keep OS 8.6 anyway.
Hehe, so no yaboot for you. . .(no power-on-boot-right-into-linux that is. You need to boot it from OS 8.6)

While RedHat is the most comparable to YDL. . . after dealing with Linux for the past two years I would never suggest using RedHat, or most any RPM based distro to learn more about Linux. They do a fine job, and are great for what they are built for, but if you really want to learn about Linux and it's innar workings then sit down with something a little more interesting then RH. (on x86, Slackware, LFS, Gentoo come to mind. On PPC, Gentoo, is the only one that comes to mind, but that is a choice problem, or lack there of.)

Edit: for spelling;

Last edited by Wickers : 2004-06-19 at 09:53.
propellerhead

2004-06-19, 22:13

I checked out Gentoo today. It looked pretty neat. The online documentation on the install process was extremely comprehensive. I think I'll give it a shot.

It will be running on a 233Mhz G3 with (for now) 96MB of SDRAM on a 6GB HD. :wow:
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-06-19, 23:54

Sounds good,
I hope you like it, it will be quite the learning adventure. In your case, I would use the GRPs for most large packages (you will read about them in the handbook.) but, if you don't mind the wait, the tiny speed improvement is worth it.

Above all, have fun.

propellerhead

2004-06-20, 09:57

Back to the original question about the RAM... Can I stick a PC133 DIMM in the Wallstreet? I know I should use PC100, but my local stores don't carry PC100 low profile (144-pin) DIMMS, only PC133. If the Wallstreet had a 100Mhz bus, I'd do it, but it has a 66Mhz one so I'm not quite sure if PC133 DIMMs will work.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-06-20, 10:41

To the original question, no you cannot put two low profile dimms in the Wallstreet. The top slot is a high profile and the bottom slot is a low profile. However, it can accept two 256 chips for a total of 512.

I bought ram for my PowerBook from TransIntl. Good prices, good instructions, good people.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
¡Damned!

2004-06-20, 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
I bought ram for my PowerBook from TransIntl. Good prices, good instructions, good people.
I'll second that. TransIntl are great.

But....I think you might be mistaken, HOM, about the low-profile thing. Taken from your very own link :

Quote:
Note: The bottom slot supports 32 MB, 64 MB, 128 MB and 256 MB New low profile 1.25 inch high memory modules, the top slot supports 128 MB or 256 high profile 2.0 inch high memory modules. The user can install low profile memory modules in the top slot also.
HOM
The Elder™

2004-06-20, 11:00

Whoa, shows you that I need to improve my reading comprehension skills a bit.

propellerhead

2004-06-20, 16:39

So will PC133 DIMMs work? You guys haven't answered me yet.