AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC Server Help

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC Server Help
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-11, 12:26

Another request for assistance:

I'm trying to upgrade my home server to 1.18 and I keep getting the following error:

All of the instructions I can find say to just drop the new Server.jar into the MC Server folder and replace the old .jar file. But I just get *poof*. Running on a Mac Mini with Catalina, and Java is up to date.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-02-11, 13:27

You need to update java on the machine running the server. JRE IIRC. This isn't the same one that is used to play MC. I had to fight it on our server when I upgraded us too.

Note the upper error that says it was complied on 61.0 and you're running up to 52.0.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-11, 13:42

Are you talking abut the Java update you would get from Oracle's website? Because I've run that update on the server. Is there maybe an OS version issue? I'll have to double check the server's OS version.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-02-11, 15:48

Yeah, from Oracle or OpenJava. Not updates or the local java client. You need to update the server side version.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-02-11, 15:52

Something like mentioned here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...necraft-server

Or here: https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Tutorials/Update_Java
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-11, 16:47

Cool. Thanks. I'll give it a shot this weekend.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-02-14, 14:58

Thanks for the input, Turtle. I got Java updated and then was able to update the server.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-02-15, 15:25

Yay! Doing it on our ANMC server is always a pain. I do a "simple" upgrade and it doesn't work... then I have to dig to figure out why.

Then updating Java isn't straightforward so you found out. Glad you got it though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.