AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The most comfortable mattress

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The most comfortable mattress
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-01-17, 16:12

I keep seeing these tv commercials for mattresses, mainly that Tempurpedic foam mattress, and the Sleep Number bed which is an air mattress.

I was wondering if anyone here knows someone who has purchased either of these. I've heard that the foam mattress is best for warm climates, because it tends to be too firm in extremely cold conditions.

They both claim to be easy on the body's 'pressure points', like the hip bones, etc. I imagine both are quite expensive. I need to get a new mattress for my spare bedroom, and I was wondering which of the two might be worth a try.

'My' bed has a very costly mattress that's a double pillow-top - that is, it has a pillowtop on both sides. It's quite comfortable, but it doesn't completely eliminate pressure points, by any means.

I think the most comfortable nights' sleep I've ever gotten were on quality air mattresses when sleeping on the ground out in the wilderness (camping).

So, I thought someone here might have first-hand information about either the Tempurpedic or the Sleep Number - even if it's just hearsay from a friend or acquaintance.

Thanks for any replies.
¡Damned!

2006-01-17, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
I think the most comfortable nights' sleep I've ever gotten were on quality air mattresses when sleeping on the ground out in the wilderness.
Ah. That's exactly what I was going to mention.

I'm also looking for a new bed/mattress, and have seen the foamy-style infomercial thingy as well. Looks intriguing, but I'd need to find a place that has one available for testing. I have a feeling I'll probably like it though.

Bed frames, though, good lord. I'm having a hell of a time finding something I like.

So it goes.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2006-01-17, 16:37

I've been looking into the foam mattress thing ymself, but no first-hand experience beyond the memory foam mattress pad I have on my spriong mattress. The other thing about foam mattresses is that they're supposed to be espeically good for those of us who sleep on our sides.

One thing to look at, while it's not quite the anecdotal and unbiased source you want, is kiea also sells its own mattreesses liek this and has a handy-dandy mattress guide in all its Flash glory on their web site.
geneman

Send a message via AIM to geneman  
2006-01-17, 16:50

I have a Tempurpedic mattress, and I'm very happy with it. It's hard to explain exactly what makes it good... anything in particular you want to know?

My parents also use Tempurpedic, my father loves it and wouldn't sleep on anything else. My mother on the other hand found it too warm (it retained to much heat in her opinion) and switched back to her old mattress.

I guess the best way to find out is if you can somehow get to test it.

Not sure I understand your climate reference, I mean the mattress is used indoor?

"What can be asserted without evidence, can also be dismissed without evidence." - C. Hitchens
sloth501

2006-01-17, 17:09

A friend of mine and his wife have a sleep number matress and absolutely love it. They said the customer service is great as well. When they moved last year, they discovered one of the air bladders developed a leak. One call to customer support and they had a new bladder delivered to them in a day.

He and his wife looked at the tempurpedic but they didn't like how you "sunk" into the memory foam. They liked the select comform better.

One thing my friend does recommend is to go ahead and spend the extra money to get the pillow top with the select comfort matress. It wasn't that much more money given how much you will be spending already for a select comfort model.

My wife & I are going to get a select comform matress later on this year. Our current matress and box springs set is around 13 years old and is worn out.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-01-17, 17:17

We're in the same boat - the current mattress is 10 years old, and just isn't that comfy anymore. I'm leaning towards a Sleep Number, but the Tempurpedic has our attention as well. I'll be watching this thread.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-01-17, 18:32

The problem with the Sleep Number is that the sides are different levels of firmness.

This obviously creates a problem when deciding which side of the bed to have sex on.

I've never used either of them, I have nothing to add to this thread. I'm going now.

Come waste your time with me
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-01-17, 18:48

Oh no, I see that as a plus. One side firm for doggy style, the other one softer for cowgirl. Score!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-01-17, 18:55

That, sir, is why you are a doctor and I am not.

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-01-17, 19:04

I've gone through many mattresses, but to be honest our leather couch is the most comfortable thing to sleep on I've ever found.

I spent three months on that couch after I shattered my ankle and didn't want to go up the stairs to the bedroom.

I've tried sleep number beds, cheap-o (college) mattresses, expensive mattresses, and they're all OK, but that couch rules.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Marcellus Wallace

2006-01-17, 19:08

I've got a mattress that sighs... scary isn't it... but it's true

Did you ever had a mattress as a mistress, dr. Kickaha, or did I just interpret this wrongly...

Denkend aan Holland zie ik breede rivieren traag door oneindig laagland gaan, rijen ondenkbaar ijle populieren als hooge pluimen aan den einder staan.

Last edited by Marcellus Wallace : 2006-01-17 at 19:17.
iDorf

2006-01-17, 19:25

Select Comfort - Sleep Number bed. Outstanding. Can't understand why anyone would buy anything else. Adjustable firmness, and doesn't have long or shot term "memory". Likely to last us a lifetime.
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2006-01-17, 19:39

If you get a "memory" foam mattress. Make sure it is at least 4lbs per square foot in density.

The temperpedic is 4.5lbs per square foot.

Cheaper knock-offs will be somewhere between 2lbs to 3 lbs per square foot and filled or mixed with regular cheap foam during production. Giving the false impression that is is memory foam when your in store pushing at it because it has some "memory" but is actually really firm and ungiving over longterm use.

the main issue with select-comfort is of course leaking that may develop over a long period of time or by accident. Of course, if you can get replacement bladders for cheaps 10 years from now...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-01-17, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneman
I have a Tempurpedic mattress, and I'm very happy with it. It's hard to explain exactly what makes it good... anything in particular you want to know?
Well, what about pressure points like at the hip and shoulder for those who sleep on their sides? Is the extra pressure truly eliminated from those spots?

Also, I heard that it was difficult to shift around on the Tempurpedic. That you sink in and it's hard to change positions. Not true?
Marcellus Wallace

2006-01-17, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiban_jay
If you get a "memory" foam mattress. Make sure it is at least 4lbs per square foot in density.

The temperpedic is 4.5lbs per square foot.

Cheaper knock-offs will be somewhere between 2lbs to 3 lbs per square foot and filled or mixed with regular cheap foam during production. Giving the false impression that is is memory foam when your in store pushing at it because it has some "memory" but is actually really firm and ungiving over longterm use.

the main issue with select-comfort is of course leaking that may develop over a long period of time or by accident. Of course, if you can get replacement bladders for cheaps 10 years from now...
Memory foam... it sounds so odd... it's almost macgeek2006... but it must be because I don't know diddlysquat about English-American expressions.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-01-17, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDorf
Select Comfort - Sleep Number bed. Outstanding. Can't understand why anyone would buy anything else. Adjustable firmness, and doesn't have long or shot term "memory". Likely to last us a lifetime.
So you see the foam 'memory' aspect as a net negative rather than a positive?
geneman

Send a message via AIM to geneman  
2006-01-17, 20:20

Quote:
Well, what about pressure points like at the hip and shoulder for those who sleep on their sides? Is the extra pressure truly eliminated from those spots?

Also, I heard that it was difficult to shift around on the Tempurpedic. That you sink in and it's hard to change positions. Not true?
Pressure is definitely reduced a lot from shoulder and hip, and you don't feel your spine bending (if that makes sense).

I personally move around a lot when I sleep, and have had no problems, so for me not true.

I've also been told what Ichiban_jay mentioned regarding the cheaper memory foam mattresses.

"What can be asserted without evidence, can also be dismissed without evidence." - C. Hitchens
Chinney
Veteran Member

2006-01-17, 20:24

I have never slept on a Tempurpedic, but I have slept on foam mattresses from cheaper brands. I can say that the lack of heat dissipation, compared with regular mattresses, was an issue with me. My wife and I have a high-quality regular-design mattress and we have never had a problem with it.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-01-18, 11:06

I've had an airmattress king size bed for a few years now (not sleep number, very expensive, mine was 1/2 the price at most) and there are advantages over regular beds.

The best advantage is adjustable hardness - she wants a bed of X firmness and you want Y firmness. Problem solved. Also you can adjust firmness over time as your tastes change, or if you have a sore back or need less/more give (see Dr. Kick's post above ).

A disadvantage of the firmness differences is there can be a 'cliff' between the two sides of the bed if there is a large amount of difference between the two sides of the bed, as the bed is 2 big airbags connected to air pumps.

Even though I like this bed, the best rest I've ever gotten is on a Coleman camper's air mattress. I would rather sleep on one of these (as long as it has no leaks) then on anything else I've tried so far which includes original & waveless waterbeds, regular mattresses and air mattresses. I think the the pillowtop on the airbed actually dampens the adjustable airbed affect and makes it feel more like a regular mattress.

I want to try a Tempurpedic (sp?) foam bed but something like a bed needs a decent length in-home trial period to really get a feel for it, IMHO.
¡Damned!

2006-01-18, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
I have never slept on a Tempurpedic, but I have slept on foam mattresses from cheaper brands. I can say that the lack of heat dissipation, compared with regular mattresses, was an issue with me.
Hmm. You're the second person to mention this heat-retention aspect of foam mattresses. That could be a deal-breaker for me due to my higher than normal body temperature. I can't even sleep under the covers until late fall, and I don't ever wear jammies.

So it goes.
DrGruv

2006-01-18, 11:55

i bought a sterns and foster with a top layer of the new temp. foam - best of both worlds nice... don't know if you have outlets by you, but i went to carson's outlet in naperville il, they have a sale every now and then when things are marked down another 50% - i ended up with a $3500 king set for $800 delivered - it has a ding on the side of the box springs, but not a dealbreaker to me...

- Michael Droste Itunes Link Stop By: TrumpetStudio.com or SaveThePlanetSong.org Some Main Gear: AT4050, Dual 1.8 G4, Logic, Waves Plat, Waves SSL, Tritone, URS, PSP, Zebra, BFD, RND, Sony Oxford, Altiverb...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-01-18, 13:05

Most foam beds or foam bed liners drive me *NUTS* with the heat retention - I can lie down on one, and in 30 seconds, I'm sweating wherever I touch the mattress.

Tempurpedic? Nope. I was shocked.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-01-18, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709
Ah. That's exactly what I was going to mention.
Note that I mentioned a 'high-quality' camping air mattress.

Have you ever had the experience of waking up in the middle of the night and your camping air mattress is flat on the ground without even a single puff of air left in it?

Nothing worse than having to get out of your nice warm goose-down sleeping bag in freezing cold weather to blow the stupid thing back up, with the gloomy realization that it undoubtedly will be flat again in 'no' time.

Perfect example that you get what you pay for, right?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-01-18, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
I've gone through many mattresses, but to be honest our leather couch is the most comfortable thing to sleep on I've ever found.

I spent three months on that couch after I shattered my ankle and didn't want to go up the stairs to the bedroom.

I've tried sleep number beds, cheap-o (college) mattresses, expensive mattresses, and they're all OK, but that couch rules.
I know exactly what you mean. I spent three months shopping for the pillowtop bed that I finally bought, but it's never been as comfortable as my white leather sofa in the livingroom.

I don't know what there is about it that makes it so comfortable to me, but I find it virtually impossible to stay awake when I lie on it to read or watch tv. I'm out like a light in no time. Amazing, huh?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-01-18, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kickaha
Most foam beds or foam bed liners drive me *NUTS* with the heat retention - I can lie down on one, and in 30 seconds, I'm sweating wherever I touch the mattress.

Tempurpedic? Nope. I was shocked.
So, you obviously tested a Tempurpedic bed.

Was it incredibly comfortable, with *no* pressure point discomfort at *all*?

Did you notice any difficulty when shifting around on it?

Did you test it in summer or winter?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2006-01-18, 15:14

Quote:
Note that I mentioned a 'high-quality' camping air mattress.

Have you ever had the experience of waking up in the middle of the night and your camping air mattress is flat on the ground without even a single puff of air left in it?

Nothing worse than having to get out of your nice warm goose-down sleeping bag in freezing cold weather to blow the stupid thing back up, with the gloomy realization that it undoubtedly will be flat again in 'no' time.

Perfect example that you get what you pay for, right?
This is the bane of camping air mattresses for me. I'm thinking of going the next step up and buying an Aerobed, instead of the cheap Coleman mattresses that seem to last one night before springing a leak.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-01-18, 15:56

Quote:
So, you obviously tested a Tempurpedic bed.
Was it incredibly comfortable, with *no* pressure point discomfort at *all*?
Did you notice any difficulty when shifting around on it?
Did you test it in summer or winter?
Just layed/laid/lay/lied/got down on one in a store, so, climate controlled, but even with a t-shirt on, I sweat on contact with most foam. Not this.

It was *strangely* comfy. It took a second for it to mold to me when I rolled over, but really, it supported my body so well I didn't much of a need to move. Very relaxing. Oddly firm, but didn't have pressure points that I could tell. Weird stuff. Not sold on it, also have tried out a Sleep Number, and thought it was fantastic, sooooo... decisions, decisions.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-01-18, 15:59

Good, timely thread because I'm going to have to get into something a bit better than my current crappy mattress.

I'll keep an eye on this discussion...

I'd like to check into those foam things I see advertised on TV. My lack of good, solid sleep is really starting to become a problem: puffy eyes with circles under them, morning crankiness/lack of zing, some back and neck pain, etc.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-01-18 at 16:06.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-01-18, 16:16

Quote:
Oh no, I see that as a plus. One side firm for doggy style, the other one softer for cowgirl. Score!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-01-18, 16:24

Quote:
Just layed/laid/lay/lied/
*lie, lay, lain* = "I just lay down on one..." (Ah... at last something I actually *know*! )

Quote:
got down on one in a store
Oh? heh

Quote:
so, climate controlled, but even with a t-shirt on, I sweat on contact with most foam. Not this.
Glad to hear this. Where I live, anything that imparts *extra* heat would be highly unwelcome.

Quote:
It was *strangely* comfy. It took a second for it to mold to me when I rolled over, but really, it supported my body so well I didn't much of a need to move. Very relaxing. Oddly firm, but didn't have pressure points that I could tell.
The whole pressure point thing is a key concern of mine. Like I said, I tested beds in stores across the city for three months before I finally decided on my double pillowtop. It's great, but *not* like sleeping on air.

I *know* there are mattress stores that carry ALL the different brands of beds for trying out. I'm definitely going to seek out such a store. I think the advice of 'those' salespeople might be fairly objective, since they're selling all the beds. Wouldn't you think?

I mean, a queen, top of the line Sleep Number bed probably runs around $3,500, I would imagine. But a bed that *truly* provides sublime comfort would SO be worth it.

Quote:
Weird stuff. Not sold on it, also have tried out a Sleep Number, and thought it was fantastic, sooooo... decisions, decisions.
I noticed that Costco was carrying a four-inch-thick version of the tempur-type foam to place on top of an existing mattress. Are those the kind of thing that caused you to sweat?