User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

How in the sweet, holy %#$^@ do I remove myself from a $#$$#@^&^ group text?!?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How in the sweet, holy %#$^@ do I remove myself from a $#$$#@^&^ group text?!?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-11, 18:23

Does that mean one of the recipients in on a non-iOS device?

I did the silence/no alerts thing, but they still pop up.

Is there not just a button or slider I'm not seeing somewhere that allows me to get out of this, quickly and easily?

Why does the presence of a non-iOS device factor in (if that’s what’s going on)? Why would that grey out/remove the “leave this conversation” option? Any sign of that being something addressed in iOS 15? Universal Group Messaging Opt-Out (UGMOO)…

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-12 at 06:22.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-11, 19:49

There is no way out if there is a non-iOS person in the group, best I can tell.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-11, 20:50

Android is a POISON PILL of group texts. I think you can block that person's phone number maybe?? MAYBE NOT????

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-11, 20:52

A girl that I have known for 17 years and am friends with now got off Facebook for a while and created a group text with her closest circle, to which I was included. I named it {name}book (where her name was filled in) because she wanted that group discussion but in a bubble. And of course there were a couple of Android users in there to fuck it up. I couldn't even name the chat!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-09-11, 21:20

I would ask them to make a separate group chat and explain why. If they’re reasonable folks who are genuinely friends, they’ll understand.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-11, 22:49

Yeah.

Isn't the end of the world, I realize, but when you've asked several times over the years, and you've explained why...come on.

In theory, they're great. Hit all these people in one shot, etc. And once everyone gives their initial, relevant reply, great. But then the back-and-forth and chit-chat starts up between a few people and I'm like "a) this has nothing to do with the topic, and b) my involvement/presence is no longer needed…can I go bye-bye now?

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-12 at 06:22.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-12, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Android is a POISON PILL of group texts. I think you can block that person's phone number maybe?? MAYBE NOT????

I think all that would do is drive it into the unknown sender list, but I’m not sure. That also wouldn’t work if it is someone you need to contact separately.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-12, 11:05

Yeah, there has to be a better way.

That "leave this conversation" should somehow be made to work, no matter what phone/platform everyone else is using. They can't always be iPhone users so they need to figure out a way folks can extract themselves from any ongoing, disruptive exchanges that no longer involve them. I always appreciate (and, if necessary, respond) to the initial message. But then any further chatting, especially off-topic or personal, should move to a direct one-to-one texting session.

I don't like seeing private conversations of others played out publicly.

Group message everyone an update on the time we're meeting at the restaurant, awesome. I dig it.

But when two people veer off and start talking about their week or "OMG, did you hear what Matt and Stacy said about Lauren?!", etc. I don't need to be in on that. And that always seems to happen...people forget they're doing the group thing. I've seen some awkward, embarrassing exchanges over the years between people who somehow thought they were texting directly.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-12, 13:44

Yeah, looks like there is no way out of SMS group chats, Apple even says this, "To leave a group text, everyone needs to be using iMessage."

From the support site, dated March of this year... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209430

Sometimes I can delay the messages by turning off data, but once you turn it back on you get a flood.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-12, 13:44

Where did Paul go??
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-12, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Yeah, looks like there is no way out of SMS group chats, Apple even says this, "To leave a group text, everyone needs to be using iMessage."

From the support site, dated March of this year... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209430
Ah, well there you go. Thanks for the solid, from-the-mothership confirmation.

Then they need to fix this. Soon. As in yesterday.

When I see a big group message thing pop up on my iPhone (around the November-December holidays is when it really ramps up), my heart just sinks, and I really start hoping "I hope these are all iPhone/iOS people!" But there's always at least one Android-using ding-dong in the bunch, thwarting my "I'm outta here!" plans.

"Why does someone else's lousy choice in smartphone mean I have to be annoyed for days?!"
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-12, 15:44

Apple cannot control SMS, that's up to your service provider.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-12, 15:49

Forget it, then. AT&T can't control a cup of coffee, or keep their data secure.