Oh, just lock it now.

IB...

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-14, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I don’t know anyone with a dedicated point-and-shoot digital camera. For years now their iPhones have handled that.

There is usually a comparison feature on the main product page.

Something like this?
Exactly like that! I didn't know they let us got that far back!

¡Damned!

2021-09-14, 14:46

You can punch in the old models here: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

[edit]: 'Scooped by 'Scates!

¡Damned!

2021-09-14, 14:49

Bugs me that Cinematic Mode and ProRes video recording are only available on the 13 Pros, even though there doesn't seem to any hardware-related reason they're not available on the 12 Pros. Photographic Styles too. Maybe they fix it with an upcoming iOS update?

So it goes.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-14, 14:56

It’s a sales tactic, there are always a few lockout features in the new high end models. Other than the cameras there is no meaningful difference, so they needed to use software.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-14, 15:00

That drives me nuts. Why can't a mini do those things without the telephoto lens? Maybe the CPU actually uses it for depth sensing and such? I don't know, I'm just stretching here. Really, I wish the mini has the camera skills of the Pros.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-14, 15:10

Great to see they've cleared the decks for the really important stuff. Bring on the Mac event.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-14, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Is there a camera comparison chart for current and previous model iPhones? I'm just curious how they line up. Like how does my 11 Pro compare to the 13 mini or Pro?
13 Pro Max vs. 12 Pro Max:

* Cinematic mode in 1080p at 30 fps*
* 3x vs. 2x zoom
* 2.8/1.5/1.8 apertures vs. 2.2/1.6/2.4 (I am not a photography expert but my read on this is: the telephoto one is bigger because bigger zoom; the other ones are smaller for higher precision)
* Smart HDR 4 instead of 3*
* photographic styles*
* ProRe video recording*

13 Pro vs. 12 Pro:

* 3x vs. 2x zoom
* 2.8/1.5/1.8 apertures vs. 2.0/1.6/2.4 (this one's interesting; looks like the 13 Pro is the same as the 13 Pro Max, whereas the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max weren't)
* photographic styles*
* ProRe video recording*

13 vs. 12:

* Sensor-shift optical image stabilization vs. Optical image stabilization. This was previously a Pro-only feature.
* photographic styles*
* ProRe video recording*

13 mini vs. 12 mini: same as non-mini, I think.

These features seem to be "software" / require the A15. That is, they don't actually affect the physical camera hardware. In general, the front camera seems physically unchanged.

So, hardware-wise, adding sensor shift to the non-Pro is a big deal. On the Pro, the apertures (and, in effect, the zoom) are once again changed.

Quote:
I'm more and more beginning to see the iPhone as my wife's main camera since she never has her point-and-shoot. Heck, I don't even know where it is right now.
Point-and-shoots are becoming increasingly silly; they're as good or worse in picture quality, far worse in handling (bulky, heavy, typically not around, worse UI), and lack many feature of a modern phone camera. (Do PoSs even come with geotagging standard yet?)

Now, DSLRs and mirrorless cameras are a different story. So the $1k and up segment still has a raison d'être.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-14, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Bugs me that Cinematic Mode and ProRes video recording are only available on the 13 Pros, even though there doesn't seem to any hardware-related reason they're not available on the 12 Pros. Photographic Styles too. Maybe they fix it with an upcoming iOS update?
Photographic styles and cinematic mode are on the non-Pros.

What's the point of having a Pro phone if most of the features are in the regular one? I think making ProRes and Pro RAW specific to the Pro makes sense. They're niche high-end features.

chucker

2021-09-14, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
You'd think they'd do all the iPads at once, in a single event (well, at least the non-Pro models). Because even if they were to hold back some (that affordable base model), then it would all be done together and you you'd have them all upgraded as a set, the iPad, iPad Air and iPad mini.
I mean, at least don't update the mini and Air in early 2019 (A12), but then only the Air in late 2020 (A14), and then only the mini in late 2021 (A15)? That's weird.

Also, on the iPad Pro, Center Stage works on an M1 (i.e., an A14's cores). Does that mean Center Stage is coming to the A14 iPad Air from last year? Or nah? Is the camera perhaps not good enough for that? They significantly changed the mini's camera this time.

¡Damned!

2021-09-14, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Photographic styles and cinematic mode are on the non-Pros.

What's the point of having a Pro phone if most of the features are in the regular one? I think making ProRes and Pro RAW specific to the Pro makes sense. They're niche high-end features.
Right, I should have been more specific in that it bugs me that my current 12 Pro Max won't get the goodies the 13 Pros are getting (ProRes especially), because it doesn't seem like there's much of a technical hurdle to do so. If it's just a software lockout like PM PB mentions above, it seems pretty shitty.

So it goes.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-14, 15:43

Quote:
Oh, just lock it now.

IB...

I should ban you!

And on that note, I'm gonna call it. The event is over and the talk is rapidly shifting to individual things, so let's take the things over to their thing's pages.

This thread has been locked for your convenience.

😘

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)