User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Okay, who else is happy that autumn is approaching?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Okay, who else is happy that autumn is approaching?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-19, 17:12

My favorite time of year, hands down. Always has been, always will be. I actually get bummed when spring/summer approach...hate 'em. "Time to endlessly sweat everyday for four months straight...yay".

But give me jeans, flannel shirts, boots, hats, a scarf, fleece pullovers, leaves, fires, pumpkins, those colors, the way the cool air feels, ciders, fall and Halloween decor everywhere, leaving your windows open all day/night for about a month, aimless drives in the country to look at the colorful trees, the various seasonal stores and stands (we have some apple-oriented places within 35-40 miles of Chattanooga with all the stuff one can make from apples and I wind up there every October for salsa, jelly, pastries, apple butter, etc.).

The happiest you'll ever see me is a crisp, clear blue-sky day in October, in the middle of nowhere with my windows down and one of my two dozen plaid flannel shirts on...nowhere to be and all day to get there. I come alive in October!

I have waited for this time of year to finally get here...you have no idea. Haha. This summer has been one big nut-crusher at every turn, it seems like. And just entirely too hot/humid here. I'm ready to turn this stupid AC off for a good 6-7 months and just breath in clean, crisp and humidity-free air. Autumn around here is soooooooooo nice.

I feel my mood/spirits lifting daily...

To my delight, while driving back home from the store today I saw some trees with little patches of yellow and orange developing. I figure in about two weeks, it'll be even more widespread and then come the latter half of October, it'll be gorgeous around here. I think we're in for a beautiful fall this year.

Anyone else feel/think this way, or are you one of those summertime weirdos?

Where my autumn peeps at?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-19, 20:07

Here! Spring is good, till allergies start, summer is just hot, forest fires, and sometimes muggy, winter is meh. Early fall can be delightful, not too hot, not to cold. The odd early frost might bring some great fall colour, most years it all just falls off at once before that can happen. Late fall is just lots and lots of rain, but at least it doesn't tend to snow. Plenty of things to get done, both at work and at home.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-09-19, 21:16

I pulled out the sweatshirts this week and it was glorious.

We bought a rental property at a beach town in New Jersey and we're going to stay here for the winter and do some remodeling, so the weather is turning quickly. Last week we were sweating while sitting outside. This weekend we've had hoodies on all weekend.

I love hoodies and shorts weather. It's my favorite time of the year.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-19, 21:43

Prime barbecue, sweater and cider season.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-19, 22:03

I knew I wasn’t alone on this!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-20, 02:22

Spring is best, fall is worst.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-20, 05:39

There’s always one.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2021-09-20, 07:55

It may not be politically correct, but I love it when we get our Indian summers. Not always, but often. September to mid-November is possible here in southern Ontario. Then early sunsets and fall back time change ruins everything. I don’t mind the cold nearly as much as early nightfall from Dec-Feb.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-20, 08:16

Given I suffer from allergies all year and Fall seems to be my worst I have a hard time liking it. I love everything else about it really. That cool air, leaves turning and the fire pit burning constantly.

Now that I'm in the foothills I have to say it is much nicer than Va Beach. I actually see trees and the mountains.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2021-09-20, 18:57

I'm absolutely an autumn guy. Give me my Levi's, steel-toed shit-kickers, and a good, fit jacket and I'm in my glory. Of course, I will put off said shit-kickers until my feet are freezing in my sandals, but there's a transition there when I give them the last shine of the year and box them up for next spring. This year it doesn't look like we're even close to getting there; it was in the 80s yesterday and I spent all day at the Big Lake yesterday swimming for hours. You could tell that it's starting to make the turn since it was pretty chilly going in, but after we acclimated it was great. Hopefully there's one more day left in the year for a swim – there's nothing quite like the Lake in the fall after a storm when you can catch 3-4 feet waves on a sunny day (even if the water is frigid by that time).

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-20, 19:19

We are getting very nice here in Chattanooga. It's been raining pretty solid for about 3-4 days, but, come Thursday, we're now looking at pure, sunny skies, highs in the upper-60's/low-70's and nights well down into the 50's (even the upper-40') for the next 10 or so days at least. Temps have been dropping steadily since about Thursday or Friday.

I couldn't be happier. We had a hot, muggy summer and it has held on (last week and the week before were so hot and muggy). But I'm looking so forward to Thursday-onward. Exactly my kinda weather coming up, once all this rain gets out of here. I was watching a local forecast today and the lady was showing how this cold front is swooping down behind this rain system and, within about 48-60 hours, we're looking at some genuine, crisp fall-like weather. It'll be so clear...I know exactly what kind of days we've got lined up.

I've got my faded orange plaid/flannel shirt on standby...I can't wait to put that thing on in a few days.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-09-20, 19:44

I just had my first bike ride of the season where a t-shirt wasn't enough.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-22, 13:20

Okay, after four or so straight days of rain and gloom (but still warm temps and insane humidity), the skies are (mostly) blue, the wind is blowing, it's about 70 degrees (and that'll be the high tomorrow, with pure sunshine) and I just turned off the AC and opened every window in the joint wide open. Jasper is out on the screened-in porch chasing a moth. All is good.

It actually feels like fall today...I'm having to wear this fleece pullover thingie and it almost isn't enough with this crisp wind.

Upcoming overnight lows in the 40's-60's.

I couldn't be happier.

Something hot and filling for dinner sounds great...a nice change from chilled Caesar salads or room temp meals (sandwiches, etc.). The true test...will I be able to stand the temps tonight when I go to bed and keep those windows open? We'll see...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-22, 13:30

Still cruddy where I am. Clearing up though. Ready for some sun again.

Oh, and at 3:20 EDT, Happy Fall 2021!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS
The northern hemisphere Fall Equinox - 3:20pm EDT today - is one of two days during the year when day and night are most nearly equal everywhere on earth. There will be less daylight than nighttime each day now...that is, until March's Spring Equinox.

¡Damned!

2021-09-23, 07:24

Chilly mid-40s today! First hoodie of the year and I even had to pull out my slipper-sock thingies to keep my toes warm. Those two items plus a pair of shorts are basically my 'house outfit' all winter - I may pull out the sweats in mid-January but I run hotter than normal so I'm pretty comfy right now. Anna, on the other hand, is 99lbs of chicken skin and hollow bones so she entered little brother Ralphie mode a month ago. Layers upon layers upon layers, blankets on the couch, pants tucked into socks... it's not even cold out yet!

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-23, 07:43

Finally, a clear sky and it is 50 outside. My allergies have settled down too so maybe I'm through whatever was in the air!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-04, 00:14

Leaves are just starting to turn down here at 5000' but I took a drive up Mt. Evans (10k feet) where they're peaking this weekend.

Anonymous Coward

2021-10-04, 10:33

Meanwhile, here in the Central California Coast, we're having the warmest days of the year. In the San Francisco Bay Area, historically, September and October are very warm.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-04, 11:21

Autumn can suck a stick.

All Autumn means is that cold weather is on the way. Snow and muck and frozen windshields and blech!

Some people like Autumn. I like Spring. Spring means warm weather is on the way and the stupid, ridiculous pumpkin-spice season is well in the past, along with it's miserable brother, winter.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-04, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Autumn can suck a stick.

All Autumn means is that cold weather is on the way. Snow and muck and frozen windshields and blech!

Some people like Autumn. I like Spring. Spring means warm weather is on the way and the stupid, ridiculous pumpkin-spice season is well in the past, along with its miserable brother, winter.
This.

The leaves are nice tho.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-10-04 at 13:12.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-04, 12:02

Psmith I will break your fingers if you tell them how nice it is down here in the south.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-04, 13:07

You don't want them finding out/coming down?

I don't blame you, neither do I.

They'd just be a distraction from banjo practice and banging my cousins.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-04, 13:13

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2021-10-04, 13:58

I’m a winter guy, but autumn means winter is soon to follow. Spring, summer, and autumn are all hell for me. Summer is the worst, however, with heat being my worst sensitivity. Autumn has worthwhile distractions from the misery with spooky time, though, which make it a solid pick for second best.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-04, 14:16

We had a gorgeous period a week or so ago (when I wrote the thread-opener), but then it got nutty and jumped back to mid-upper 80's again last week (ugh). But now we're looking at 7-10 of highs down in the low-mid 70's and nights much cooler. So maybe this will be the true transition, this coming week or so.

I hate summer and it can never be gone soon enough. I'm ready for cool days and chilly nights, AC off for good, windows open for a solid month or more, fires and flannel, pumpkins and cider and all that stuff.

I hope this coming week isn't another fake-out.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-04, 14:20

It is real. My trees in the back yard are changing. Such a stark contrast to the Va Beach place I can actually see trees all around here. Hills/mountains too!

Right now we are having the light drizzle with 72. Really nice out actually.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-04, 14:25

Sunny and 82 (highest of the day) right now, but quite nice outside. But a 6-12 degree drop starting tomorrow, so we'll be well down into the lower 70's for the highs after today.

Some trees around my place are changing a little. And a tree in my mom's neighbor's yard is full-on orange/gold/red...the only one in the neighborhood like that. Just saw it yesterday.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-04, 14:50

I love the weather right now. It's in the high 70's/low 80's, it's cool at night, the A/C hasn't been on in a month.

Thing is, I much prefer to be outside. Whether working in the garden, camping, taking long walks or hiking with my kid. All the things.

If it would snow in the mountains and stay 70 down here, great! But, it doesn't. It gets cold and ugly and people drive like dingbats (worse dingbats, I mean). There's snow and/or sloppy, muddy crap all over the place and it's more difficult to get any chores done.

It makes me bananas and I go stir crazy!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

2021-10-05, 02:35

Quote:
You’ve edited my post. 🤨
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-05, 07:16

Quote:
Autumn can suck a stick.

Some people like Autumn. I like Spring. Spring means warm weather is on the way and the stupid, ridiculous pumpkin-spice season is well in the past, along with it's miserable brother, winter.
Try rain almost every day with temps just above freezing for 4-6 months on end, you’ll like snow better. Still love fall, perfect outdoor activity weather.