User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhoto 5.0.1 still unusably slow for me

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhoto 5.0.1 still unusably slow for me
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-02-02, 14:36

I couldn't seem to find any thread about the just released iPhoto 5.0.1 Software Update. It supposedly brings several fixes. Performance enhancements aren't mentioned.

With my iBook G3 700, browsing in 5.0.0 (and now 5.0.1) is surprisingly fast, but editing involves some serious brain damage. Read: it's almost impossible to use.

I was hoping Apple would find a way to improve upon this situation.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-02-02, 15:04

Moan, moan, moan...

Guess what? You can't play doom3 on a P3 !!!

Are you under some impression that editing photos is not a CPU intensive task? Read the side of the iLife '05 box. If you haven't found it yet, it the part that says G4 or G5 required for iPhoto advanced editing!

Just another few things to try and get this into your head...

1.) My new central heating boiler is 30% more efficient than my old one!
2.) My 12 month old £16K car is faster than a 10 year old £30/40K porche!

IMO one of Apples greatest achievements is having the balls to leave old users behind every now and again. With Apple comes innovation, with innovation comes new requirements. If you don't like that then fine, but I really wish people would stop bitching about the performance of brand new software on their ageing hardware. Especially when the requirements on the side of the box pre-warn you that your system might not be upto the job!

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-02-02, 15:17

That's right, it says G4 for *advanced* editing. But what I'm doing is *normal* editing: zooming into the picture is slow, clicking enhance is slow, etc. That's not advanced editing. Advanced editing is (most of) what's on the editing dashboard.
JayReding

2005-02-02, 15:24

My guess is that the lack of Quartz Extreme support is really holding you back. Without a relatively modern GPU it's just going to be slow.
Mister Black

2005-02-02, 15:38

While its true that having a G4 processor makes iphoto a lot better, there is no reason why it should be unusable in any way on a G3/700. I'm keeping my G3/600 iMac alive and it runs iphoto 5 quite well. I admit that there is a little bit of lag, especially with a 1500+ photo library at 4 megapixels.

I personally wonder how much ram you've got. Before I upgraded the old imac's ram, I was running iphoto with the stock 256 mb and that IS unusable. When I stuck a 512 mb chip in there, everything, iphoto in particular, sped way way up.
chucker
‽

2005-02-02, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayReding
My guess is that the lack of Quartz Extreme support is really holding you back. Without a relatively modern GPU it's just going to be slow.
Quartz Extreme is supported and on.