Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

MPB 15" refurb?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MPB 15" refurb?
deknk12

2006-05-11, 20:25

Quick question for everyone...

I currently have a 500mhz G3 iBook (my internet is faster than my comp...) and started a new job.

My current employer (PAC) is about to buy new dell desktops for the new staff, but I love macs and want a new one for home...

Heres the deal, a family member has an iBook 14" G4 that is sitting in its box, shes quitting her job and wants to get a new MBP b/c she doesn't get computers and likes they way they look (even though her new job is entirely on Windows).

My job requires that I use Microsoft Office and Access (which isn't available for OS X), Quickbooks and a few other Windows only campaign software...

Do I?

a) Get family member's iBook G4 for home and let my employer spend $$ thats really needed elsewhere on a new dell for me

b) Get a 15" MBP that I can use at home (OSX) and at work (Windows)...

also b/c i'm a broke politico, i'm looking at the refurbished MPBs...any thoughts or experiences with refurb stuff from Apple Store?

All comments are much appreciated!

Thanks!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-11, 20:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by deknk12
b) Get a 15" MBP that I can use at home (OSX) and at work (Windows)...
Check.

Quote:
also b/c i'm a broke politico, i'm looking at the refurbished MPBs...any thoughts or experiences with refurb stuff from Apple Store?
I don't have personal experience, but every single story I've read about them was very positive light. Some other members here will be able to share their actual experiences. You'll also find old threads with this very question answered, such as here and here.

Oh, and welcome to AppleNova!
Meltedbutter421

Send a message via AIM to Meltedbutter421  
2006-05-12, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by deknk12
My job requires that I use Microsoft Office and Access (which isn't available for OS X), Quickbooks and a few other Windows only campaign software...
1) Microsoft Office is available for OSX
2) If you got a MacBook Pro (or the rumored MacBook), you could use BootCamp for youre neccesary programs, but still have OSX for yourself.

If you have the money, go for the MBP. If not, wait for the MB.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-05-12, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltedbutter421
1) Microsoft Office is available for OSX
But Access is not.
babelfish

2006-05-13, 09:04

Yeah definately wait for either the MacBook or if you have enough money or can save and gather the required amount soon enough then get a refurbished or new MPB. As regards which particular model, general consensus seems to be that the 1.83ghz is better value for money.

MBP good

Welcome to Applenova too.
techound1

2006-05-14, 19:07

I've had nothing but great luck with refub at the apple store - 12" PB and two ipods. I highly recommend them for the savings.

Also, think about getting the min ram you can and then adding aftermarket ram (from somebody like data mem). I saved $200 on ram when I got the refurb pb that way.

I also have a rebate which can save you some more money - PM me for details.
zippy
Veteran Member

2006-05-15, 08:27

What about the hard drives on the MBP? Many have suggested to people interested in more hdd space to purchase an external drive, but I have always wondered about the speed issue. How much performance boost could be had in upgrading the interrnal drive from 5400 to 7200?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-15, 08:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by techound1
I've had nothing but great luck with refub at the apple store - 12" PB and two ipods. I highly recommend them for the savings.

Also, think about getting the min ram you can and then adding aftermarket ram (from somebody like data mem). I saved $200 on ram when I got the refurb pb that way.

I also have a rebate which can save you some more money - PM me for details.
Definitely buy 3rd party RAM. That's one of the basic rules of Mac buying--don't buy RAM from Apple. They'll charge you $500 to put 2GB of RAM into a MBP, but you can get that RAM for $200 elsewhere. In fact, you can get a refurbed MBP 15" and 2GB RAM for less than you would pay for just the base model 15" new.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
deknk12

2006-05-16, 20:20

Thanks to everyone for their insight and quick responses.

About to order my "new" 2.16Ghz MBP (thanks the speed bump might as well right?)

Thanks again!

Dave