AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Is Apple waiting for its Big Bang?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is Apple waiting for its Big Bang?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
BizMac

2006-08-31, 01:56

The facts:
Santa Rosa, the next generation mobile platform from Intel, will feature Merom 2 processors, the Crestline motherboard chipset, and will feature 802.11n even if this month we learnt that final ratification of the 802.11n wireless networking protocol wouldn't likely come until 2008. Santa Rosa will probably be released in Q1 2007.
In January Microsoft will release Vista to convert all customers to its operating system.
Apple will release Leopard during Q1 2007.
Apple will probably release only some hardware updates during the end of the year.
According to the analysts, no major innovation will be revealed. MacBooks processor upgrades, Screen or iSight updates, iPod larger capacity, Mini processor upgrade, Zune competition unlikely, end of year dominated by console war...
Apple is filling a lot of interesting patents but no rumors on new releases, why?

The Speculation
Remember this 24th of January when the Macintosh was introduced (Macintosh 1984 SuperBowl). Considering the facts, why not speculating on a new 24th. Larger. Bigger. Apple Big Bang!
Quote:
On January 24th Apple will introduce the Mac and you'll see why 2007 won't be like 2007 (eg. Vista domination...)
Apple Big Bang
Steve alone presents this 24th of January keynote
Act 1: Apple Partners release universal Pro Apps
Act 2: Intel delivers its Santa Rosa platform (providing the solid platform for next acts)
Act 3: Apple unveils the real video iPod (we all dream of, non touchscreen)
Act 4: Apple unveils the iPhone (we all want one) and iNewton (yes the iPhone for the Pros)
Act 5: Apple unveils the Mac (perfect combination of an independent MacTablet with an independent MacMedia center server in a combined G4 iMac style) and the MacGame (improve station for gamers)
Act 6: Apple reveals new form factors for MacBooks Pro, Mac Pro, iMac, Mac Mini (intel transition completed now lets see the real new Macs...particularly bringing back the Cube (MacMaxi)! and multi input touch screen, useful for the integrated Google map in the OS)
Act 7: Apple presents iOffice the future killing office suite of MS Office (particularly an Excel competitor including easy scripting features for Pros)
Act 8: Apple unveils the new .Mac, with Google, providing new live features of Leopard (iOffice, iLife sync, TimeMachine) competing with Live of Microsoft and introduces its Video store in collaboration with Google...
Act 9: Apple releases Leopard (with new GUI based on Core3D, resolution independent for MacTablet and iPhone, boot camp Ubuntu Vista ready without rebooting, iLife 2007, TimeMachine, Spaces, and iChat conference room 10 video users)
Act 10: Apple releases MacTV (improved monitors receiving TV, touchscreen, and new ads between the PC and the Mac guys)
.....10 acts, this Keynote is really long (2 hours) but there is an "encore", one more emotional thing "Steve Jobs announces his plan for transition, time to retire in his Big Apple Box"

Results: Complete user satisfaction (except for Steve retirement), Leopard kills Vista in customers mind. Ipod kills competition. The Mac (with the MacTablet) increase switch. A Big Bang, a huge date for Apple and its future...
Think Big Bang?

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-08-31, 02:07

Pass the crack pipe bra...

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-08-31, 02:07

That is about as likely as the entire universe getting sucked into a black-hole in the next ten minutes.

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-08-31, 02:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
..the entire universe getting sucked into a black-hole in the next ten minutes.
Nah! That will never happ

AWR
Veteran Member

2006-08-31, 02:50

¡Damned!

2006-08-31, 03:11

Crack pipe or not, that's one of the most beautifully formatted posts I've ever seen.

I think I'm going to start underlining everything.

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-08-31, 03:16

Crack does that to you.. Makes you very precise and quite obsessive like that..

Dutch Pear

2006-08-31, 05:37

Wow, although your scenario is the most unlikely i've read in a long time,
you really did get me feeling incredibly warm and fuzzy
Keep dreaming man, and keep us informed

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2006-08-31, 06:26

I have to agree that your prediction is rather unlikely; however, some of it is possible. I do think they will release an iPhone at some point, the full screen iPod, and a redesign of the computers or at least a big update to most models. I don't know if a MacTablet will ever be made though. I just don't see a huge demand for one, but maybe that is just me. iOffice would be nice, but they already have iWork so why not just keep making that a better application suite. Also, .Mac collaboration with google would be pretty cool. I don't know what they would do but I am sure they could think of some great features!
All of that being announced at once would be complete chaos! It would be fun and exciting though!

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-08-31, 06:32

I'll take an ounce of whatever BizMac is smoking. That's some good shit.

Baron Munchausen

2006-08-31, 09:49

There is a tautological inexactitude in your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizMac View Post
The facts:
:
In January Microsoft will release Vista to convert all customers to its operating system.

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-08-31, 10:17

That would be a good keynote. Apple stocks raise by, oh, 40%.

Its never going to happen though. In fact, releasing that much at once would be overwhelming for both the store, and the customers, and sales would suffer because there is too much to get to grips with.

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-08-31, 11:35

In a surprise move, Steve calls William Hung up on stage, to sing a special version of his world-famous rendition of "She Bangs", entitled "Big Bang".

Jobs announces to wild cheering that it will be available for a limited time as an iTMS download.

Oh, and....

Unbeliever

Send a message via AIM to Unbeliever  
2006-08-31, 12:06

Quote:
On January 24th Apple will introduce the Mac and you'll see why 2007 won't be like 2007 (eg. Vista domination...)
I'm sorry but that makes NO sense whatsoever

1984 ad had a story behind it but 2007? There are better chances of Britney Spears replacing Steve than what you have suggested.

Now pass that sh1t you've been smoking

pscates2.0 fan!

Proud owner of a Core2Duo 20" iMac :)

Ghost2

2006-08-31, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Nah! That will never happ
That's what they all think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Crack does that to you.. Makes you very precise and quite obsessive like that..
Not the way I use it.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-08-31, 15:14

What was that rule in the posting guidelines about "baseless speculation"?

Quote:
The facts:

Santa Rosa, the next generation mobile platform from Intel, will feature Merom 2 processors, the Crestline motherboard chipset, and will feature 802.11n even if this month we learnt that final ratification of the 802.11n wireless networking protocol wouldn't likely come until 2008. Santa Rosa will probably be released in Q1 2007.
I wasn't aware that there was a Merom 2. Did you mean Core 2? I mean, I'm sure there's a successor to Merom in the works, but it wouldn't be called Merom 2...it would get a new codename. Merom wasn't called Yonah 2.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-08-31, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbeliever View Post
I'm sorry but that makes NO sense whatsoever

1984 ad had a story behind it but 2007? There are better chances of Britney Spears replacing Steve than what you have suggested.

Now pass that sh1t you've been smoking
It'd make sense in 2009, perhaps (25th birthday of the Mac) but 2007? Not a chance.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-08-31, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I wasn't aware that there was a Merom 2. Did you mean Core 2? I mean, I'm sure there's a successor to Merom in the works, but it wouldn't be called Merom 2...it would get a new codename. Merom wasn't called Yonah 2.
He means Santa Rosa-based Merom, with 800 MHz FSB instead of 667 MHz.

Partial
Stallion

2006-08-31, 15:28

Quote:
What was that rule in the posting guidelines about "baseless speculation"?

Well, Peryn is the successor to Merom. It is the same chip as Merom, except shrunk down from 65nm to 45nm. In addition to this, the low-end model will have 3MB l2 cache, and the high end 6MB instead of 4MB. It is due in the 2nd half of 2007, my guess is about 9 months from now. Since Core duo jumped to core 2 duo, I wonder if such a simple refinement will lead to yet another name change?

edit - I read your post wrong robo. My bad.

Last edited by Partial : 2006-08-31 at 15:41.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-08-31, 15:37

I'm fairly sure he means Merom-800, not Penryn.

Partial
Stallion

2006-08-31, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I'm fairly sure he means Merom-800, not Penryn.
I think I am missing something.

chucker

2006-08-31, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
What's that?

spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-08-31, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
I'm authorised to speak on behalf of your brain. You may pick what you are missing from the following:

A Bionic Arm
Ashley Cole, Arsenal & England full-back
One of the 14.9 million pages indexed by Google featuring the sentence "a rat of some kind"

Choose wisely.

jouster

2006-08-31, 18:35

Quote:
It'd make sense in 2009, perhaps (25th birthday of the Mac) but 2007? Not a chance.
I think the response to the 2004 anniversary shows that Apple could care less about anniversaries in general. Stuff'll happen when it happens.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-08-31, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouster View Post
I think the response to the 2004 anniversary shows that Apple could care less about anniversaries in general. Stuff'll happen when it happens.
Or Apple's 30th anniverary this year.

I didn't say Apple would do a flashback Superbowl ad. I merely said it would make infinitely more sense in 2009 than in 2007.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

ZachPruckowski

2006-09-03, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeh View Post
I'm authorised to speak on behalf of your brain. You may pick what you are missing from the following:

A Bionic Arm
Ashley Cole, Arsenal & England full-back
One of the 14.9 million pages indexed by Google featuring the sentence "a rat of some kind"

Choose wisely.
That made my life. Forever.

Fooboy

2007-07-19, 13:53

Not a bad stab at it ...

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-07-19, 14:07

Lets have a look then....

Quote:
Steve alone presents this 24th of January keynote
Act 1: Apple Partners release universal Pro Apps
Yeah...sort of.
Quote:
Act 2: Intel delivers its Santa Rosa platform (providing the solid platform for next acts)
Uh-huh.
Quote:
Act 3: Apple unveils the real video iPod (we all dream of, non touchscreen)
Not an iPod as such, but Touchscreen. So, no.
Quote:
Act 4: Apple unveils the iPhone (we all want one) and iNewton (yes the iPhone for the Pros)
Well, many would say the iPhone is the "pro" product you describe, so yeah, near enough.
Quote:
Act 5: Apple unveils the Mac (perfect combination of an independent MacTablet with an independent MacMedia center server in a combined G4 iMac style) and the MacGame (improve station for gamers)
Nope
Quote:
Act 6: Apple reveals new form factors for MacBooks Pro, Mac Pro, iMac, Mac Mini (intel transition completed now lets see the real new Macs...particularly bringing back the Cube (MacMaxi)! and multi input touch screen, useful for the integrated Google map in the OS)
Nope.
Quote:
Act 7: Apple presents iOffice the future killing office suite of MS Office (particularly an Excel competitor including easy scripting features for Pros)
Not yet. I live in hope.

Quote:
Act 8: Apple unveils the new .Mac, with Google, providing new live features of Leopard (iOffice, iLife sync, TimeMachine) competing with Live of Microsoft and introduces its Video store in collaboration with Google...
Sadly not.
Quote:
Act 9: Apple releases Leopard (with new GUI based on Core3D, resolution independent for MacTablet and iPhone, boot camp Ubuntu Vista ready without rebooting, iLife 2007, TimeMachine, Spaces, and iChat conference room 10 video users)
Not yet!
Quote:
Act 10: Apple releases MacTV (improved monitors receiving TV, touchscreen, and new ads between the PC and the Mac guys)
Sort of. Well, no monitor/touchscreen, but still, pretty close.
Quote:
.....10 acts, this Keynote is really long (2 hours) but there is an "encore", one more emotional thing "Steve Jobs announces his plan for transition, time to retire in his Big Apple Box"
Ummm...no.

I'm scoring that as 4/10. See me.

turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-07-19, 17:12

Holy crap! This thread is nearly a year old!? It feels like I read it last week or something

The most likely predictions came true I guess, but some of those ideas were just a little too wacky.

MagSafe

2007-07-19, 18:27

Just read all that, and the replies and then discovered its over a year old!

Well done! Those were some really good predictions!

I'd say for the people that are saying the original poster got some things wrong ... they probably just haven't happened yet.

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock