AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone visual voicemail

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone visual voicemail
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-06-27, 21:51

I like the concept of visual voicemail but I still haven't seen much in the way of details. Does anyone know if messages are stored on the AT&T servers or do they get downloaded to iPhone? Hopefully it's the latter, but if it's the former, does anyone know how long AT&T allows customers to save messages?

I keep reading that visual voicemail does not require a password, which, if accurate, apparently means voice messages cannot be accessed other than from one's iPhone. (With Verizon, I can dial my cell # from any phone, hit the # sign, and then enter my password and listen to messages.)

No big deal. Just curious. Thanks.
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-06-27, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
I like the concept of visual voicemail but I still haven't seen much in the way of details. Does anyone know if messages are stored on the AT&T servers or do they get downloaded to iPhone? Hopefully it's the latter, but if it's the former, does anyone know how long AT&T allows customers to save messages?

I keep reading that visual voicemail does not require a password, which, if accurate, apparently means voice messages cannot be accessed other than from one's iPhone. (With Verizon, I can dial my cell # from any phone, hit the # sign, and then enter my password and listen to messages.)

No big deal. Just curious. Thanks.
My (semi-educated) guesses:

The messages are probably stored on the server. Why? Because Apple had ATT rework their voicemail system to support it, and it seemed like a big deal. If it simply downloaded to the phone, ATT wouldn't have needed to do much of anything.

It probably doesn't need a password because it's linked to your SIM card in the iPhone. That way, when accessing the voicemail from the iPhone, you don't need a password. If the messages are indeed stored on ATT's side of things, then I'd be certain you could continue checking it like you mention with Verizon. If the messages are downloaded to the phone (as you hope) then you can forget about checking them from other phones.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-06-27, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
My (semi-educated) guesses:

The messages are probably stored on the server. Why? Because Apple had ATT rework their voicemail system to support it, and it seemed like a big deal. If it simply downloaded to the phone, ATT wouldn't have needed to do much of anything.
Yes, but couldn't that also mean visual v.m. is like a push-voicemail system -- i.e., stored on AT&T's servers and then pushed to iPhone?

Quote:
It probably doesn't need a password because it's linked to your SIM card in the iPhone. That way, when accessing the voicemail from the iPhone, you don't need a password. If the messages are indeed stored on ATT's side of things, then I'd be certain you could continue checking it like you mention with Verizon.
... but how, if there's no v.m. password?

Quote:
If the messages are downloaded to the phone (as you hope) then you can forget about checking them from other phones.
I suppose this could be an issue, but I'd get over it. I'd rather have voice messages download to my phone and then not have to worry about them getting automatically deleted after the usual 7-14 days.

... Which brings up another question: How will users get the normal v.m. warnings -- e.g., 'this message is about to expire and will be deleted' -- if iPhone users never really log into a v.m. system and can just pick and choose which messages they listen to (and when)?
Mr Ten

2007-06-28, 01:15

anyone have a specific word on how they will charge you for listening to voicemails? i'm guessing since "visual voicemail" is included in the full data plan, you won't be charged any minutes for listening to voicemails, right? that's my guess.