Apple Watch (Series 4)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Watch (Series 4)
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2018-09-12, 12:36

• 40mm and 44mm new sizes (30% larger screen size) but claims it's thinner
  • new face that can hold up to 8 complications (more fitness health data, more timezones, faster connect with friends
  • digital crown with haptic feedback, louder speaker
  • black ceramic and sapphire crystal black for better cell reception
  • new dual-core 64-bit processor and new GPU ; new accelerometer and gyroscope
  • fall detection, delivers an alert, lets you reach out and ping an emergency contact if fall
  • babysits heart rhythm in background and can send alerts
  • AND electrodes for an EGC
  • order Friday 14 buy Friday 21
  • $399 (and series 3 is $279)

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-12, 13:53

Shame I just got my Watch a few months ago. I'll have to wait for S5 to some out before I can justify upgrading. I like the features of this one though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2018-09-12, 14:23

Too bad they dumped the gold on the Series 3. I was waiting to get that for my wife. May not be able to, now.

Oh, well. She can deal with black!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2018-09-12, 18:46

I’m going to jump on a Stainless Black on pre-order. I had a Series 3 Aluminum Black and the case got a couple scratches on daily wear. Want a little more solidness(?) with my next watch.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-09-13, 00:27

My next one will be stainless again too. My first Watch (original Watch) was SS and I love it. Still have it and use it when I'm charging my S3. My S3 is the sport with black and it's cool, but I miss the polished look of Stainless Steel.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2018-09-14, 04:38

Store was down the first few minutes but by the time I got on there, around 3:05-3:10am EST the Black Stainless 44mm were already backed up to Sept 28-Oct 2nd 🙄
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-09-15, 15:13

Fall detection and ECG are a big deal. Interesting push into the senior market.
DJohnny

2018-10-02, 01:22

Interesting. I'm using an older model and it's still working fine.

The stainless black looks pretty good.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2018-10-02, 12:59

I'm still on my Series 0 and it started to show it's age about a year ago. Daily use for a few years will do that.

Most likely upgrading both mine and my wife's, but the sizes are the big question. I may be able to go down to the 40mm, but in reality, it'd be a bigger screen, so that would help.

Just need to go and try them on and see.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2018-10-03, 11:26

You know you're going to get the bigger one. Don't fight it.

I'm really disappointed in my Sport S3. I noticed a large and deep scratch on the screen in the upper left of the face. You can feel the scratch with a fingernail easily. I never had that with the Stainless Steel original Watch. I don't buy a Sport model again. Stainless and Sapphire for me going forward. Of course, I'm not planning to buy the S4 right now since I got my S3 a few months ago.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2018-10-03, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I'm still on my Series 0 and it started to show it's age about a year ago. Daily use for a few years will do that.

Most likely upgrading both mine and my wife's, but the sizes are the big question. I may be able to go down to the 40mm, but in reality, it'd be a bigger screen, so that would help.

Just need to go and try them on and see.
I went from the 42mm to the 44mm and I don't notice any difference to be honest. It actually feels better because it is slightly thinner. The screen is beautiful.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2018-10-04, 00:05

Switching sizes that way sucks if you already have bands, though.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2018-10-04, 01:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Switching sizes that way sucks if you already have bands, though.
All previous 42mm bands are compatible with the 44mm Series 4 watches, as are 38mm with 40mm.
chucker

2018-10-04, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
All previous 42mm bands are compatible with the 44mm Series 4 watches, as are 38mm with 40mm.
Yeah, I misread the posts. I still wish I could freely switch back and forth (and maybe I'm hoping there'll be a 36mm model?), but I guess it would make the band quality worse.
SmartLJ

2018-10-08, 09:46

The Series 3 was just perfect
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2018-10-09, 10:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
You know you're going to get the bigger one. Don't fight it.
Went to the Apple store with my wife over the weekend to try on the new sizes.

You're right of course. I like the bigger size.

I'll e ordering one for each of us to replace our Series 0 watches, which are starting to show age. Mine has a crack on the side of the case and seems sluggish all of the time while hers has a weird half circle on the bottom left of the screen not showing anything. Just a black dot basically, rendering the bottom left of the screen useless.

Since they're backordered at this point, we'll probably just wait until we can walk into a store next month and buy them.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
gncback2

2018-11-03, 18:12

notice any difference to be honest. It actually feels better because it is slightly thinner. The screen is beautiful.
FetLife IMVU Canva

Last edited by gncback2 : 2018-11-04 at 17:39.