AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

16 and 14 Inch MacBoob Pro

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
16 and 14 Inch MacBoob Pro
Page 11 of 12 First Previous 7 8 9 10 [11] 12  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-26, 18:25

One word, boys and girls: the integrated CD drive is coming back!!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-08-26, 20:54

Not before reel-to-reel tape does.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-08-27, 01:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
One word, boys and girls: the integrated CD drive is coming back!!

CONFIRMEDDZDZ
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-27, 03:18

It’s a tray-loader too, for that cool, 1998ish retro touch! The slot ones, as it turns out, are entirely too easy to stick Pop-Tarts, bread and graham crackers into, so I applaud any decision that helps save users from themselves…especially since that greedy bastard Tim changed AppleCare to only cover two toaster pastry insertions. Back in the day, when Steve ran things, it was four. The man understood human nature/behavior in a way few other tech leaders have. It’s part of what made him special. 🥺😢
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-08-27, 03:46

Why did the G4 go back to tray-loading anyway? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5P3QDm61go
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-08-27, 08:09

Just so they could make that ad no doubt. I also seem to recall that early slot loading drives were not as fast or reliable as the tray loading ones.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-27, 08:25

Man, that was a great, fun design. I would love to see a modern take on it. I really did use that display arm adjustment quite a bit, depending what I was doing and how I felt.

A 24” modern version would be perfect for a tiny house, studio apartment or dorm room, acting as both a computer and one’s TV and able to be pointed/aimed in any direction (main desk, couch area, kitchen, etc.)

I remember they made a 20” toward the end of its run. My frien had one and used it kinda that way, taking advantage of that flexibility. Her sofa was off to the left, about 6-7 feet and then her kitchen about 10 feet in the opposite direction. She’d just point it wherever she was. She had one of those el gato eyetv boxes or shed pop in a DVD. It was her computer, TV, room decor/picture frame in her little studio pad.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-27 at 08:36.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-27, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Why did the G4 go back to tray-loading anyway? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5P3QDm61go
I'm not sure if that was the best commercial in the history of commercials, but it was certainly in the top 5!
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-08-27, 14:11

Clearly Apple isn't listening to their customers again. We wanted a MiniDisc drive.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-08-27, 14:47

Laser Disk FTW.

Apple listen to customers? When has that ever happened?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-27, 14:50

Well, they did step back on the butterfly keyboard.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-27, 15:26

It took that form-over-function onionhead waltzing out the door (finally).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-08-27, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Well, they did step back on the butterfly keyboard.
Might have had something to do with all the court cases they were facing over its poor design. In other words customers forced them to listen by grabbing them where it counts, the wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
It took that form-over-function onionhead waltzing out the door (finally).
He likely left on his own accord, probably got board when they told him he couldn’t make the stuff any thinner yet,
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-27, 20:58

Jony Ives helped launch the Mac into hearts and minds around the world, and I'm thankful for his contributions to the growth of my preferred computing ecosystem.

Now that he's gone, I too welcome efforts to reexamine designs that favor form over function.

I want tough, nimble, powerful, lightweight kit.

But can we stop the race toward paper thin laptops?

Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-08-27, 21:05

Apple Silicon has given Apple new thermal advantages over the competition. Of course they're going for thinner.

What I want is for the thinner designs to be concentrated in one model, such as the MacBook.
They can then prove themselves over a few years before being adopted by the Pro line.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-27, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
He likely left on his own accord, probably got board when they told him he couldn’t make the stuff any thinner yet,
Of course. I don’t think he was fired or edged out. I think he just wanted a change and new challenges. With Steve gone it probably didn’t feel the same anymore. And if he was reaching the end-all/be-all of thinness and minimalism, he might’ve felt he’d hit a wall designing computers and related devices.

He did great things, and made a mark. I’d never deny that. But I think his best work was some time ago and I think, in his final years there, he was obsessed with things that might not make for the best end product/user experience. I kinda got the feeling he was more concerned with, and lunging for, design awards/accolades. That’s great if you’re also delivering on the other end as well.

The trash can, the butterfly keyboard, the 12” MacBook, that mouse you can’t use while charging, the welding shut/chasing thinness in desktop computers (who asked?), the iPhone 5c, those horrible iOS 7 and Mavericks UI changes (the thinnest, wispiest typeface in the solar system), etc.

A lot of pricey, stupid, go-nowhere and unasked-for shit, frankly. But so was the G4 Cube, iPod hifi, etc.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-08-27 at 21:32.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-27, 21:13

Quote:
Jony Ives helped launch the Mac into hearts and minds around the world, and I'm thankful for his contributions to the growth of my preferred computing ecosystem.

Now that he's gone, I too welcome efforts to reexamine designs that favor form over function.

I want tough, nimble, powerful, lightweight kit.

But can we stop the race toward paper thin laptops?

Hopefully. The main push behind all that, I assume, has left Apple, so…

I think what we see in 1-2 months might be telling. I’d be completely fine watching a brand new product announcement/unveiling without one second spent telling us how much thinner it is compared to the previous model. I truly don’t give a shit at this point. Nothing in Apple’s lineup is bloated or unsightly, so let’s pull back a bit from that race to nothingness. It’s gotten silly.
chucker

2021-08-28, 03:39

Why do people hate the 5c?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-28, 07:54

I don’t hate it, but i don’t think it was a big hit/success.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-08-28, 08:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Why do people hate the 5c?
As someone who owned one, the reason is simple, it wasn’t a nice phone. Without a case you couldn’t hold it very well, which meant the colour choices were a waste of time. Without a case the edges were uncomfortable to hold or put up against your face, due to how the glass and plastic met. For the price it felt very cheap, worse yet it aged very quickly and felt slow. Should have just sucked it up and got the 5S instead. I dumped it on a family member who needed a smartphone after less than 2 years.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-08-28, 08:55

I've heard numerous stories - and I'm even part of one myself - of how 5c owners didn't even make it 18 months with theirs and handed it off to a relative or a buddy and got something else.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
In my case, my nephew gave me his unused yellow one because I made a serious timing blunder in the selling of my iPhone 5 and a few things kinda popped up/fell through and I wasn't able to get the 6s as I'd planned. I was phone-less for about a week or so, trying to think of what the best approach would be (I wasn't bonkers about the 6s, and, looking back, I probably should've just put a new battery in the 5 and got another couple of years out of it).

Live and learn.

But he heard about the situation and said "hey, I've got this 5c I'm not using if you'd like it".

I used his 5c as a "let me figure a couple of things out" stopgap until that iPhone SE magically appeared a few months later (and I got one in April 2016). So I had it for about 5-6 months. I remember the day the SE showed up at Apple's site...I was thrilled.

"Wait, you mean I can get a phone for $399 that's the exact one-hand-friendly design as my beloved 5?! I don't have to spend $600 for something that's bigger than I ever wanted/asked for?"

That might've been my favorite, best-timed and surprise/out-of-nowhere Apple product release ever.
chucker

2021-08-28, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
As someone who owned one, the reason is simple, it wasn’t a nice phone. Without a case you couldn’t hold it very well, which meant the colour choices were a waste of time. Without a case the edges were uncomfortable to hold or put up against your face, due to how the glass and plastic met.
Interesting. I would’ve expected the plastic to make for no worse a grip than the metal on the 6.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-08-28, 20:01

It is a glossy plastic, I find the glass to offer more grip on the few occasions I use my phones naked (with no case ). As for the metal on the 6, it wasn't great, but I have a case on my phones 99% of the time anyway.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-12, 15:34

Well this is interesting. These things might be closer than we’ve expected?

Is Gurman pretty solid with his info? He’s not a complete crank or dart-thrower, is he?
chucker

2021-09-12, 17:14

No, Gurman is fairly solid.

But… several weeks? That seems to be in line. Early October is just three weeks.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-12, 18:01

Yeah, several weeks could be "two week or 4-5 weeks", depending. He's covered.

Yikes, I keep forgetting we're nearly halfway into September...
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2021-09-19, 23:22

Does anyone remember hearing any rumors about the refresh rates on these allegedly new mini-LED displays?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-20, 01:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, several weeks could be "two week or 4-5 weeks"
It could even be 52 weeks

chucker

2021-09-20, 02:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Does anyone remember hearing any rumors about the refresh rates on these allegedly new mini-LED displays?
No, but now that the Watch (1-60 Hz, I think), the iPhone Pro (10-120 Hz) and the iPad Pro (10-120Hz, too?) have variable refresh rate, presumably Pro Macs among the devices to get it next.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-20, 05:42

Quote:
It could even be 52 weeks

I hope not. People will start to freak out if it goes into 2022.