User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

AC Zone Control Question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AC Zone Control Question
Fooboy

2010-06-30, 14:04

Wife and I own a 2 story townhouse with 2 thermostats. AC folks took a couple days to figure out the Zone controller was bad and showed me where a black spot on circuit board where something blew (looked like a resistor). The wired it up to one thermostat controls both zones and manually set the tamper to blow both up and downstairs. 2 weeks later (after I called several times) they finally call and say zone controller and install is $527.

Is that legit? Currently we have a honeywell EMM3 zone controller - can't I just go buy another one (or wouldn't I just need a 2 zone controller?) and wire it up myself? No idea how to set damper but it can't be that hard.

OR should I just bite the bullet and pay them.

Can provide pics if it assists in suggestion.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-06-30, 22:54

I've found that if you can find a good handyman they will do it for a fraction of the price. I've got a friend who used to work for my apt. complex and now does stuff for me in my new home.

Other than that, you're at the mercy of those in the know. Maybe get another quote from someone else. My mom works in the A/C industry and says "Chuck in a truck" is good for somethings, but others they end up costing you more. This isn't just a basic setup so you might want to look at other companies to see what they quote you.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.