User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Leopard Released 9/5????

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Leopard Released 9/5????
gbh

2007-09-02, 18:53

Could it be that Apple might surprise everyone and release Leopard on the 5th?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-02, 19:04

No.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-02, 19:17

Not only would they be silly to (why waste an entire month of developer opportunity to squash additional bugs? why give third-party developers a wrong date to prepare for? They'd be unprepared to ship their software updates!); it's also evidently not the case: there's no way they can seed a build, listen to feedback on it, wrap up the development progress, package, manufacture, etc. within 12 days!
gbh

2007-09-02, 19:25

Of course you are probably both right- but I have learned to expect the unexpected in business.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2007-09-02, 19:29

As someone who thought Leopard might be announced at the last event (*cough cough*), I believe it is entirely possible that Steve might announce it for beginning of October. A friend of mine is a dev, so I've played with the latest build (9a527). He's using it as his primary OS. Its not perfect, but that build is already a week old. They have another week or two to sort out the few remaining issues, which leaves about two weeks to get the CDs pressed and put into boxes (which are surely already manufactured).

I think it's doable.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-02, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbh View Post
Of course you are probably both right- but I have learned to expect the unexpected in business.
Yeah, well not that "unexpected". You can't just discount/neglect "the real world", and how things actually work (final testing, manufacturing/duplication, packaging, distribution, etc.).

Let's operate on a somewhat realistic, reasonable plane. That way you don't constantly set your hopes up for a bunch wild-ass stuff that will never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
As someone who thought Leopard might be announced at the last event (*cough cough*), I believe it is entirely possible that Steve might announce it for beginning of October. A friend of mine is a dev, so I've played with the latest build (9a527). He's using it as his primary OS. Its not perfect, but that build is already a week old. They have another week or two to sort out the few remaining issues, which leaves about two weeks to get the CDs pressed and put into boxes (which are surely already manufactured).

I think it's doable.
I don't, but you go right ahead and bite those fingernails down to the skin!

Better to play it tight and conservative (and be pleasantly surprised and appreciative of anything early or ahead of schedule), than to actually think things are going to come out a full 4-8 weeks earlier than they were officially expected for no apparent reason whatsoever (other than "I want it to"). I love how everyone takes "Leopard coming in October" to automatically be "the first day or two of the month".

As for as I know, Apple has only said "October". Last I checked, that's a 31-day window for them to play with. I'm sure they're in not huge hurry, and if they need a few more days (or weeks), they'll take them to ensure a quality product and release.

We don't need a Vista scenario...

Maybe it will be, but we've seen nothing to make anyone reasonably assume that. All along I've assumed mid-late October (and I've been totally okay with it). That way, if it does show up on October 7 or whatever, I've got a pleasant, unexpected treat (which is a hell of a lot better than assuming October 1-7 for months, and it not actually arriving until October 28).

That's no way to live.
gbh

2007-09-02, 20:16

Vista scenario... that is the whole reason I came to the Mac just this year. I got a new laptop on it and hated it. It is just a bunch of glitz with no substance.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-09-02, 20:27

I know. I just remember all the uproar that accompanied Vista's release...stuff not working, all sorts of installation and hardware issues, the choices in the various flavors, etc.

So thankful that Apple doesn't follow that same type of approach...it would be maddening:

Leopard Basic for $79.83, Leopard Standard for $109.61, Leopard Home Business for $139.47, Leopard Advanced for $179.13, Leopard OMG! for $219.22, etc.

Very nice to have a single OS that pretty does everything, out of the box. I realize that's not a sexy selling point, or something you can easily convey on a spec sheet (there isn't a "number" or a speed you can attach to that). But it's just one of those little "nice perks" of being on this side of the platform fence.

When it comes time to go from Panther to Tiger, then Tiger to Leopard, you don't have to spend a single minute trying to figure out "which Tiger/Leopard am I supposed to get?!?" or "what kind of user am I?"

It's funny...all the stuff that Microsoft apes and lifts from Apple, but not the OS selling/pricing structure; and this is one that they actually should (and that would actually made somewhat of a difference to people, and that customers would appreciate).

Imagine going into Best Buy or Office Depot and just seeing "Vista" on the shelf, for $139 or whatever. Call it Vista, Period! I bet a lot of Windows users would love that. They'll never know, of course, because, if anything, Microsoft will probably add another one or two variants to the mix on the next major go-around...Vista Home Entertainment, Vista Audiophile, Vista Green, Vista Gay, etc.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-09-02, 21:37

The only thing they might possibly do is announce a release date, though that seems much more suited for the Apple Expo in late September.
chris e boy

2007-09-03, 04:05

No. As far as i know, the latest beta has loads of bugs. It's not ready yet.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-09-03, 06:06

It might be out as a torrent around then...
Doxxic
Veteran Member

2007-09-03, 06:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbh View Post
I have learned to expect the unexpected in business.
Hmmm... I smell some fresh, stinky, instructive, but not yet completely accepted business experience here...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-09-03, 11:58

No chance at all IMO unless Apple has builds they're not sharing with developers that are much further along than the last one. There are many serious, unresolved bugs in the current build. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the date slipped into November, quite honestly.

...into the light of a dark black night.
rasmits
rams it

2007-09-03, 12:10

Agree. In addition to the bugs, the current build is highly un-optimised and runs very very slowly on all but the best hardware.

Apple has a long way to go before Leopard is shippable. I'd be very disappointed if Apple tried to shoehorn an early release "just 'cause".

You had me at asl
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-09-03, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
the current build is highly un-optimised and runs very very slowly on all but the best hardware.
Ah, yes. The infamous debug builds.

http://forums.applenova.com/showpost...82&postcount=9
http://forums.applenova.com/showpost...48&postcount=1

And so on.

Your general point that Leopard isn't ready is arguably valid. However, don't expect much of a speed boost out of nothing.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-09-04, 08:52

Someone I know well *cough* has used the current build, and it's not ready for prime time. There are evidently problems left that would make it unusable for some of Apple's most important demographic groups, particularly creative professionals.

Keeping this in mind, plus the usual 4 weeks from declared GM to store shelves, and you begin to realize that Apple has less than a month to make some serious fixes, and have those fixes tested, and ship it out... otherwise we're looking at early November sometime. Or, they decide to release a buggy product (possible but I hope it doesn't happen).

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2007-09-04 at 12:23.