AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Drew, you know how to swim, right?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Drew, you know how to swim, right?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-21, 22:39

How is there not a thread about this here?

Wide areas of Atlanta have been severely flooded this afternoon/evening and there are several reported deaths and probably untold millions of dollars of damage.

Any hotlanta residents care to report in?

Lots of videos floating around YouTube right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vuxEoXMZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqkg529D3xQ

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
murbot
Hoonigan

2009-09-21, 23:00

Floating. Heh.

I feel shame but that damn Kanye thing might always be funny to me.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-09-21, 23:27

This is extra strange because hasn't Georgia been struggling with a huge drought for recent years? Or am I wrong about all that?
Foj
Veteran Member

2009-09-21, 23:32

It was a bitch getting home from work this afternoon. Traffic lights on the blink or completely out. Roads and bridges flooded over. Normally it takes about 15-20 minutes to get home, today it took over an hour.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-09-21, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
This is extra strange because hasn't Georgia been struggling with a huge drought for recent years? Or am I wrong about all that?
There had been a drought in Georgia that ended this spring.

But be mindful that flash floods are made worse in areas that are in drought -- the ground isn't porous making it more likely for water to just flow over.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-09-22, 00:38

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-22, 00:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Crazy.

And am I a bad person for expecting a photo of Drew in full pirate regalia in a cardboard-box pirate ship? Make it happen, drew.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-22, 00:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Of course you'd find a photo to post of a submerged roller coaster.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-09-22, 00:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Of course you'd find a photo to post of a submerged roller coaster.
I thought the same thing!
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-09-22, 06:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Any hotlanta residents care to report in?
Yesterday when I woke up I literally saw a tree explode due to a lightning strike. The amount of lightning was insane here.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-09-22, 09:02

The good news is Lake Lanier is no longer empty.
Foj
Veteran Member

2009-09-22, 09:37

It's ankle deep now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-22, 10:04

I think The Weather Channel is based in Atlanta, so they're not having to send their folks out far to cover the story. CNN too.

Pretty wild stuff. It didn't rain much at all this summer (2-3 weeks in June without a drop)...I can only remember a handful of rain days this summer. But the past 4-5 days...hoo boy! Making up for lost time.

It's so wet and soggy around here. Today is weird. The sun has poked out 3-4 times, for about 10-15 minutes. Then clouds come back and it'll rain for another 30 minutes. Just a weird back-and-forth, all morning. You think it's all over and you'll see the sun for the first time since last week, and then it starts up again.

Lots of standing water all around, both residential and commercial. At least two local deaths. Quite a few school and business closings too.

My sister's neighborhood...the eastern half, a block or so from her house, is flooded (about 2-3' of water in homes, 20 families evacuated last night). Her house is on a slight rise, so the water would have to come up another 4-5' to present a real threat to them).

I should have some pics to post later...

Oh, and on the Kanye thing above. That idiot has no idea how much he's going to be a punchline/meme for the foreseeable future.

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-09-22, 10:28

We had our first rain this month yesterday - a minor drizzle. It was a nice break after such a soggy summer.

Re: Kanye: It's totally played out, but we need to keep it going just to punish him Some people seem to need the entire world to mock them just to take their sense of self-importance down a notch or two.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-22, 10:57

Taken by my Mom about an hour ago...

Crossing Chickamauga Creek on Brainerd Road (a major artery here in town). That brown water is usually much lower. Obviously. Some days you can barely see it from the overpass, it's so low.

The Sears Homelife (formerly Kmart) store in East Ridge, directly south of I-24, nearing the I-75 split:

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-09-22, 11:01

Git yer truck tubes out Maynard... time for some red-water rafting! We used to do that back in the day before they had manufactured uber-BoogieToobz™ with Zuba stripes on them. We'd go to some tire depot or whatever and we'd buy the inner-tube from semi-trailers or whatever else (small tractors) and float down the Chattahoochee in them. Watch out for those valve-stems though; those things were a bitch / would gouge you if you weren't careful.

That was back before the day of scum-sucking ambulance chasers, so the tire depot wasn't afraid to sell them to us.

...into the light of a dark black night.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2009-09-22, 14:24

Great. I get to spend 3 of the next 4 weeks in Atlanta for training.
Hope MARTA is still working.

BLECH!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-09-22, 14:40

MARTA? I haven't ridden it in years but don't forget to bring your shank. Actually they've probably greatly expanded service into the suburbs and throughout the city, so probably no different than any other mass transit system in a big town.

kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2009-09-22, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
MARTA? I haven't ridden it in years but don't forget to bring your shank. Actually they've probably greatly expanded service into the suburbs and throughout the city, so probably no different than any other mass transit system in a big town.
Shank. I seriously thought about that having ridden the "T" in Boston for many years.
Too bad I'm flying in. Hard to get a good shank by the airport brown shirts.
Gotta a long ride too. Going from airport to Dunwoody at night. Double BLECH!!!

You're looking at eons of repression getting purged. If only they'd let us jerk off.

Beware the man of one book. ~ Saint Thomas Aquinas
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-09-22, 15:04

I had to stay in one of those super-ratty motels about 5 min from the airport once because my flight was cancelled late night. I had the chair wedged under the lock. Thanks Delta, for taking such GOOD care of me. Cheap fucks.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-09-22, 20:12

Sorry for being late y'all, I totally missed this thread.

Hop Into My WAYBACK MACHINE: it was a month to the week before Labor Day weekend (and forgive me if I've posted this already, but I'm getting old and I can't remember having mentioned it here, and didn't see a thread with it mentioned in anywhere, unless the search function is broken, but....)....

It was a dark and stormy night. Nearly exactly around 11:35pm. Drew was headed home from office. Near the state capital water was ponding on the interstate. Drew and the driver to his right began slowing when ALL OF A SUDDEN A PHANTOM CAR FROM THE FAST LANE went sailing past all of us, from the left to the right, where he impacted the Jersey Wall. Drew hit his gas to try to speed the hell past the unfolding bedlam, but the phantom car was too fast and zoomed back out where it smacked into his passenger side, executing a perfect Pit Manuever, sending Drew through a slow 180 degree turn, eventually rolling backwards to conk out in the slow lane. Reaching for his new iPhone Drew quickly dialed 911 before realizing that the stunned drivers who'd been following him were becoming UNstunned and beginning to roll again. Jumping out of the car Drew ran across the emergency lane and climbed up the concrete barricade to stand safely out of harms way, while watching other cars almost hit his locked-up vehicle.

Beauty shots:

The other guy's insurance company did a superb job of taking care of me and my vehicle: they had the doors replaced, the B-pillar resectioned, the C-pillar uncurled and so on. The car looks as good as it could after that kind of whammy.

So the NEW rains started last week.

FRIDAY: I was nervous about driving on the interstate, not because of me, but because of the zillion OTHER drivers on the road.... as a result I opted to take the back roads. Along the way I ran through some ponding along the road and the battery light came on and the steering "locked up" for a split second.

SATURDAY: This was the 5th Annual PiratePalooza Pubcrawl and Pubsing. The turnout was actually quite AWESOME and the rain held off until we finished the Pubsing, probably after 11pm. Again, driving home the car did the trick a couple of times. The general consensus among mechanics is that the power steering belt is getting splashed and then slipping.

SUNDAY: pretty relaxed, a tad rainy.

MONDAY: All hell broke loose. At 2pm me and a friend at the office were driving back from lunch when all the traffic signals went dark. Once back to the office we watched a black cloud settle across downtown. Traffic backed up. The big TV in the conference room showed an angry red crab attacking the city. Emergency vehicles raced up and down Peachtree, sirens wailing. Reports of deaths had been trickling in all morning. The radio and television stations were ramping up the Armageddon chatter. At 4:30 we were given the "get the hell out of Dodge" signal and everyone raced to their cars. It took me twice as long to get home, and I worried about stalling out the entire way. I saw a manhole cover spewing up water like a fountain. It was crazy. One of the VPs who lives on the western side of town came in to spend night in town. He still can't get back there today because there are 100+ road closings in his county.

TUESDAY: We hear more about the deaths, but it's sunny and nice out all day long. Problem is, another big system is headed for us like the wrath of God.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-22, 20:15

Oh no! Stay safe Drew

(And what is with Nova-ans and car accidents/trouble lately?)
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-09-23, 05:28

This part sounds cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
SATURDAY: This was the 5th Annual PiratePalooza Pubcrawl and Pubsing. The turnout was actually quite AWESOME and the rain held off until we finished the Pubsing, probably after 11pm.
This part is uncool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Again, driving home the car did the trick a couple of times. The general consensus among mechanics is that the power steering belt is getting splashed and then slipping.
Or the driver is splashed and slipping.

DUI is bad, mmmmmmkay?
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2009-09-23, 07:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
(And what is with Nova-ans and car accidents/trouble lately?)
Weird. My Honda Fit is in the shop right now. Somebody ran a red light and and messed-up the front end to the tune of $4800.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-09-24, 07:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiousuburb View Post
Or the driver is splashed and slipping.

I actually reserved all my alcohol consumption for that afternoon. Last beer was around 3:30pm, we finished up after 11pm, so I was stone cold sober on the way home. Tired, but sober

EDIT: and they were initially estimating US$250M in damages, but a radio report this morning indicated that some of the infrastructure fixes may take that number higher. We've had two straight days of dry weather which allowed the water to go down enough in a western county so that one of the guys at work to finally return home.

And finally, despite the terrible conditions, there were still plenty of assholes who insisted on driving through the flash flooded freeways like they were in the Indy 500... so idiocy is alive and well. Dammit.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2009-09-24, 10:34

yeah, we get that too...

it's crazy...when it rains we either have people driving fast as hell (10-20 mph over the speed limit--i guess they want to get home sooner since the rain is dangerous?!?) or we have people going 25 mph in a 65 mph zone...

gah, how about some common sense and everybody go a few mph under the speed limit to be safe...

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-09-24, 16:00

Rain might not just be dangerous... it might be an imperialist plot!

No Raining on the Chinese Communist Party Parade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian.co.uk

China's largest cloud seeding assault aims to stop rain on the national parade
Cloud-seeding aircraft to intercept rainclouds that threaten to cast shadow over communist party's 60th celebrations in Beijing

Jonathan Watts, Asia environment correspondent
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 23 September 2009 17.41 BST

Cloudy skies hang over the city before a rainstorm in Beijing, China. Photograph: ChinaFotoPress/Getty Images
China's air force is gearing up for its biggest ever assault on the clouds to ensure blue skies above Beijing for the 60th anniversary of communist party rule, local media reported today.

Eighteen cloud-seeding aircraft and 48 fog-dispersal vehicles are on stand-by to intercept rainclouds that threaten to cast a shadow over the festivities, which will include the biggest display of military power in at least 10 years.

The weather modification could exceed the huge cloudbusting operation for the opening ceremony of the Olympic games last year, when more than 1,100 rain-dispersal rockets were fired into the sky.

"It is the first time in Chinese history that artificial weather modification on such a large scale has been attempted," said Cui Lianqing, an air force meteorologist, speaking to the Global Times newspaper.

Meteorologists will coordinate the mission using satellite data. The Beijing Weather Modification Office will supplement the air force's campaign with rockets and planes that load the clouds with silver iodide or liquid nitrogen — dry ice — to induce precipitation above reservoirs and rivers.

China has the world's most extensive rain creation infrastructure, employing about 50,000 people nationwide. Their job is usually to alleviate droughts in the arid north of the country. For national day they would have to encourage rain to fall from clouds before they reached Beijing.

The National Day events mark the founding of the People's Republic of China on 1 October, 1949. The communist party wants to use the occasion to showcase its achievements since Mao Zedong took power.

The centre of the city will be closed off for a huge parade, musical performance and show of military power. Clear skies are needed for the firework display and fly past by air force jets.

Smog is another concern. Although air pollution has eased since the Olympics, when more than 100 factories were relocated and restrictions were imposed on cars, the Beijing authorities are taking no chances.

Environment officials have said they will inspect construction sites, regulate coal-burning facilities and impose extra restrictions on vehicles with high levels of exhaust fumes.

Inner Mongolia, Henan, Hebei and other neighbouring regions that host large-scale industrial parks have agreed to cooperate in reducing emissions ahead of the anniversary.

Fearing a major pollution incident might dampen the festive mood, the Ministry of Environmental Protection has mounted a week-long inspection of areas where accidents often happen or where dangerous chemicals are produced. Water supplies are being checked more stringently than usual.

Some of the security measures have frustrated many Beijingers. During rehearsals in recent weeks, residents along the route of the parade were instructed not to go on to their balconies or take pictures of tanks and other vehicles.

The authorities have banned the sale of knives in supermarkets and declared a no-fly zone for kites and racing pigeons. Whether non-compliant birds will suffer the same fate as wandering clouds has not been revealed.

Ten years after taking power, Mao Zedong declared a war on nature, including a disastrous campaign to eradicate sparrows, and a commitment to induce rain. "Manmade rain is very important. I hope the meteorological experts do their utmost to make it work," he said.

Today, however, the military admits there is a limit to their ability to control nature. "There are still a lot of uncertainties with the weather," Cui told the Global Times. Past records suggest there is a 30% chance of rain on October 1, it said.
The kite ban is a bit WTF, though.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-09-24, 16:02

That's um... delusional.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2009-09-24, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
yeah, we get that too...

it's crazy...when it rains we either have people driving fast as hell (10-20 mph over the speed limit--i guess they want to get home sooner since the rain is dangerous?!?) or we have people going 25 mph in a 65 mph zone...

gah, how about some common sense and everybody go a few mph under the speed limit to be safe...

g
Were you in the commute along I-40, I-85 or any major road that crosses them yesterday in the RTP area? This was my afternoon, dealing with idiots and maniacs in order to get to Burlington and fill out forms for our lender. Ugh.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-24, 16:06

Am I the only one to think that that photo looks like it's just a few seconds away from turning into the goatse cloud?